Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 09:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Attorney thinking about getting an MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Attorney thinking about getting an MBA [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 13:17
I saw your previous posts and was curious as to your thoughts on my chances of admission to a top MBA program (i.e. Top 15). I graduated from college in 2001 (4.0 GPA, but humanities major) and a top law school in 2005. I have been a licensed attorney for 6 years. My reason for wanting to go to business school is that my passion has always been marketing and building businesses. I previously ran a successful marketing company on a part-time basis and have developed a number of successful website projects over the past decade. Unfortunately, I am in my early 30s and have heard that b-schools like younger candidates. Any thoughts on my chances of getting admitted into a top business school? I have not yet taken the GMAT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Attorney thinking about getting an MBA [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 20:06
Go for a part-time or executive MBA program - it'll be a better fit for you. You will be in an environment with people who are at a similar stage in their life/careers (and by extension - age). And you'll likely have a better shot at these schools too.

If you're looking to start a business, the last thing you should be doing honestly is to spend $100K+ in tuition on an MBA program full-time. Better off financially by working the day job to help minimize the cost of attending.

A lot of businesses fail because of lack of knowledge. But even more business don't even get started in the first place because of a lack of guts and heart. And the "knowledge" part can't be taken care of in an MBA program -- it comes from actually diving in and doing it, and learning how to adjust on the fly.

If you have a compelling business idea, start it NOW. There's always way more excuses not to start it (i.e. get an MBA, oh sell my house first, oh then maybe work a few more years to build up capital, oh maybe wait until my kids are in college, and so forth).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Attorney thinking about getting an MBA   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2011, 20:06