Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Atypical Applicant Evaluation, advice appreciated

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 23

Atypical Applicant Evaluation, advice appreciated [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 11:48
Demographics: 22, Male, Canadian
GMAT: 680, 45Q, 38V, 6.0 AWA, 8 IR
Revised GMAT: 720, 49Q, 40V, 5.0 AWA, 8 IR

Education:
  • BBA, General Management, 3.37 GPA from relatively obscure public US university, received minor student award
Work Experience:
    Worked full-time during university
  • 3 years in an administrative position for a professional sports team, finalist for an industry award for Best Administrative Services
  • 2 years working for government contractor in Canada in public safety, promoted to supervise 25-40 employees after 1 year, elected union steward representing 450 union members
  • 1 year of freelance work doing some consumer goods purchasing at Asian trade fairs for North American retail companies (honestly I felt like I was puttering around... but I obviously won't write that)
  • Current (just started): Working in government HR department in a communications role

Extracurriculars: ~7 weeks of political volunteering in the past, ~2 years of involvement as a trade union advocate both inside and outside the workplace. Delivered speeches to over 300 people which were very well-received

Career goals: Social enterprise, because of my strong belief in public service and my personal background

Schools:
  • "Dream schools": Kellogg, Haas, Johnson, Yale
  • Already applied to: Johnson, Stern
  • Probably applying to: Kelley, Kellogg, Fuqua
  • Also considering: Ross, Goizueta, Kenan-Flagler, Tepper, McDonough, McCombs
  • Preferred Location: Prefer US NE, also happy with Midwest, California or Mid-Atlantic, prefer not SE or Texas (except Austin)
Uniqueness:
  • Worked full time while studying full time, finished undergrad degree in 4 years
  • First-generation immigrant (to Canada) and first-generation university graduate
  • Holds commercial pilot licence, 300 hours in light aircraft
  • Was a key figure in repairing the employer-union relationship as a union steward and subsequently negotiated the best collective agreement of its kind in Canada, averting a crippling strike
International Experience:
  • Lived in Korea, Canada, US and Taiwan
  • Native-level English, intermediate levels of proficiency in Chinese, Korean and French
  • Travelled to over 15 different countries in last 2 years, particularly keen on emerging markets

Sorry for the unwieldy length but I tried to organise everything so it was easy to read. I would like to know peoples' thoughts mainly on my admissions chances and which schools I should target. I have been reassured in the past that I can think about many of those schools on my list but my non-traditional background makes me a little unsure of myself for things like this. I plan to apply to 6-8 schools, so I'd like to compile a list of maybe 1-2 "reach" schools, 3-4 target schools and 2-3 safety schools. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by jxcho on 26 Feb 2013, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
VP
VP
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Atypical Applicant Evaluation, advice appreciated [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 19:00
Expert's post
You have a non-trad background as you well know, so you'll have to target schools that are friendly to that. Being younger is another huge factor to consider. You'll have to show your maturity in your application and your interview to get in. If you can get your Gmat above 700, that will surely help you too.

I would give Yale a shot since theyre non-trad friendly and does skew a bit younger since they have their Silver Scholars program. Ross and Fuqua are friendlier to <700s but you will have to convince adcom that you are not too young get your MBA.

Posted from my mobile device Image

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 23

Re: Atypical Applicant Evaluation, advice appreciated [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 07:25
Thanks, I was a bit intimidated by Yale because of the admissions stats and their Social Enterprise/Non-profit reputation which is closely tied with my goals. I am obviously a recent graduate and I believe I can take supplemental exams on my last courses to boost my GPA. I expect that I could get ~3.5-3.6 if I did that in addition to this alternate transcript I'm building. My practice GMATs were averaging ~710 when I did them before I wrote the real thing in October. If I could boost my stats to GMAT 710 and GPA 3.5, what do people think about my chances at Yale or Fuqua? I'm feeling quite good about my chances at Kelley and McDonough (although for someone like me I don't think any schools are really predictable or safe) but I want to do everything I can to improve my chances for getting into Yale.
Re: Atypical Applicant Evaluation, advice appreciated   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2012, 07:25