Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 07:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Australian background- Please Evaluate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GMAT 3: 0 Q0 V0
GMAT 4: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Engineering (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Premium Member CAT Tests
Australian background- Please Evaluate [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 03:31
Hi there,

I'm hoping if you guys are able to provide some feedback on my profile as I'm in a dilemma at the moment.

I took the GMAT on the 18th and scored a disappointing 630 (Q47 V30). This didn't come as a major surprise as my GMAT PrepScores were similar aswell - 640 (Q44, V34) and 620 (Q49, V26). It was disappointing nonetheless as I put in a lot of effort in the last 2 weeks to improve upon my verbal.

I'm working full-time and there have been a fair few retrenchments in my team leaving the rest of us to pick up the slack. This has made it quite stressful for me since start of the year.

Based on my profile below, I was wondering if it's worth retaking the GMAT and try to aim for a 700+ score. I have aspirations to join one of the top 10 business school programs (who doesn't!),

I'm looking at Wharton, Berkley Haas, Northwestern Kellogg as first choice of schools followed by NYU Stern, Tepper and Booth.

The above are the B-schools that I have in mind in the US, but I'm also looking at a few schools in Europe.

Here's my profile:

Education: Electrical Engineer
Country/ Citizenship: Australian
WE: 3 years at an American based top tier Engineering design consultancy.
Undergraduate: Top engineering school in Australia.
Academics: Top 10% of my class (Weighted Average Mean of 80), Graduated with First Class Honours.
High School: India

Extra Curriculars: Small leadership roles with social clubs throughout University. Was a student mentor in my last two years. Presently sit on the Graduate Committee at my workplace representing my business line which involves organizing networking events, professional development etc.. Otherwise, nothing major.

Notable Academic achievements: Included in the Dean's Honour List, Received a full fee scholarship for my undergrad (which is a significant for an international student studying in Australia).

Post MBA Goals: Would be to transition into strategy consulting. Possibly start something on my own.

So, based on my profile, would you recommend retaking the GMAT? If I get a decent score the next time around, what are my chances? Or, would I stand a realistic chance of targeting these schools based on my present GMAT score? Am I being naive here and grossly underestimating the kind of applicants that I will be competing against?

My main concern is time, since I will have to start researching and preparing my applications aswell. I will be pressed to hit the R1 deadlines for most schools, if I take the GMAT in 1.5-2 months time and then start on my applications!

Thanks in advance for having the patience to read my long post. Would appreciate some much needed guidance on the way forward.

Regards,
Kaushik.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Australian background- Please Evaluate [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 05:28
Thank you for posting.

A major component of your candidacy is showing admissions that you can handle the academic aspect of a demanding and competitive MBA program. The two ways in which they assess this is through your college grades and through your GMAT scores -- with each being weighed about the same. Simply put, you have more than adequately showed that you can handle the coursework through your academics, but your GMAT score creates some concern as it falls below the 20th percentile at most of the schools that you are targeting.

I would definitely recommend that you re-take the exam and make it a life priority -- meaning taking some vacation time and dedicating it to studying and setting aside some time every day (even if it is just 30 minutes) to focus on studying. I also recommend hiring a tutor and having this person help you on areas of the exam that proved problematic. As it stands right now, I would not recommend applying to most of these programs with that score. If you can bring the score up to a 680+ -- that is when I would recommend applying.

Good luck

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Australian background- Please Evaluate [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 20:54
Thanks a lot Kimberly,

Appreciate your feedback. Gives me confidence that with a good GMAT, I stand a realistic chance.

I've decided to get my head down and start sudying to retake the GMAT. As a start I've gone through these forums and intend to purchase some good Verbal guides, sign up for practice CATs and then sign up for the exam once I feel confident.

Hmmm...I would need to research availability of private tutoring in Sydney for the GMAT. There are short in-person courses that seem to be conducted by other organisations but are infrequent. It doesn't appear to be a big thing over here.

Sorry to push the goodwill here but in your experience does my geographical location and construction/ consulting engineering background provide me with an advantage?

Thanks.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Australian background- Please Evaluate [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 07:17
Neither your geography nor profession will provide you with an advantage in this process -- especially to the schools you are targeting. Simply put, you are targeting the world's best and these schools want the world's best no matter where they come from.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Australian background- Please Evaluate [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 02:20
Righto. I understand. I'm just thinking of ways to sell myself in my applications.

Thanks again Kimberly.
Re: Australian background- Please Evaluate   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2013, 02:20