Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 12:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 00:25
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

38% (02:14) correct 63% (00:52) wrong based on 42 sessions
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(a)Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.
(b) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(c)suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(d) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving
(e) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: elephant [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 01:11
I think it should be E as it correctly uses evidence to and also properly uses "its trunk" . Whats the OA and OE?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: elephant [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 01:23
is descended ? is that right grammar ?

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: elephant [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 01:25
OA is E but there is no satisfactory OE. what exactly is wrong with C ?

Last edited by garimavyas on 01 Mar 2011, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: elephant [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 01:27
This post received
KUDOS
When you are referring to ancestry "is descended" is the correct usage, so it should be OK in this case. Also, other four choices have more obvious errors.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: elephant [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 01:42
grammatically 'is descended' is perfectly fine! it's passive!

I just had little doubt whether should be 'was descended' here in E but still it is the best of all.

Conquer the Hell and make it Haven. Brain is your hell and Success is your haven!

"Kudos" is significant part of GMAT prep. If you like it, you just click it :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: elephant [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 02:37
BTW, what is the source of this question?
Director
Director
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: elephant [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 03:29
E is correct. Because it accurately identified trunk of elephant that is evolved.

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: elephant [#permalink] New post 07 May 2011, 20:48
garimavyas wrote:
OA is E but there is no satisfactory OE. what exactly is wrong with C ?

Usage of past perfect in C is wrong."Is descended" in my opinion should have been "was descended" ..Is descended is a little passive in tone.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Cnsrtm-Hass '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 17:02
"scientists have found evidence that suggests that"

is this wrong because it's the evidence suggesting something rather than the scientist?

I went with E based on the parallelism of "that its trunk", but i was unsure about the above. Does A work if it was "to suggest that" and replaced "and its trunk" with "and that its trunk"?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.9
WE: Asset Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 11:41
bschoolnewbie2011 wrote:
"scientists have found evidence that suggests that"

is this wrong because it's the evidence suggesting something rather than the scientist?

I went with E based on the parallelism of "that its trunk", but i was unsure about the above. Does A work if it was "to suggest that" and replaced "and its trunk" with "and that its trunk"?

I think that it is correct that "evidence" suggests, as opposed to that "scientists" suggest. Scientists merely found evidence, which suggests blah blah.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 15:08
It is not in the options but wouldn't * its trunk was evolved * be more correct ?
Re: Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2012, 15:08