Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 11:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 319
Location: Hungary
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 05:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
42. Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(a)..
(b) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(c)suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(d) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving
(e) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 3571
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 362

Kudos [?]: 1785 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: SC_brutal [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 05:21
Expert's post
I pick E here.

1. unambiguity of pronoun "its"
2. evolved vs evolving
_________________

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Posts: 34
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC_brutal [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 05:41
zoltan wrote:
42. Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(a)..
(b) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(c)suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(d) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving
(e) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved


A) "Is descended" sounds structurally wrong. Is a descendant would be the way to go.
B)The evidence does not suggest, the embryologists suggest. Wrong.
C) Correct
D) "evidence to suggest" is ambigious. It could mean that the embryologists found all present evidence to suggest a certain conclusion or that the embryologists found new evidence that led them to conclude.
E) Refer D
I pick C.

Last edited by daszero on 02 Apr 2008, 08:26, edited 2 times in total.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3404
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC_brutal [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 06:07
I am with E on this..

who is making the suggestion? evidence or embroyologists??

obviously its the aussies! so since embroyologists is plural, we need to use "suggest"...therefore E gets it right.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Posts: 106
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: SC_brutal [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 08:03
42. Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(a)..
(b) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(c)suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(d) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving
(e) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved


i think it is A?

evidence that - it is a correct idom

pls wend the oa brutal
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 109
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: SC_brutal [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 08:10
E for me. Although I dont like "to suggest".
C is awkward because of its structure "with its..evolving".
Avoid Preposition + V-ing like this
Eg: "because of the doctors writing..."

A looks attempting. But I dont like the two "that" togerther..
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Posts: 34
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC_brutal [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 08:23
shobuj wrote:
42. Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(a)..
(b) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(c)suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(d) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving
(e) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved


i think it is A?

evidence that - it is a correct idom

pls wend the oa brutal

You might be right. I just looked up and despite sounding wrong to me, "is descended" seems to be valid.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 3571
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 362

Kudos [?]: 1785 [1] , given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: SC_brutal [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 09:11
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Can an evidence suggest? I think embryologists can suggest.
_________________

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Posts: 451
Location: Earth
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC_brutal [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 15:56
I go with C.

Walker...in my opinion, yes, "evidence can suggest"
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 3571
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 362

Kudos [?]: 1785 [2] , given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: SC_brutal [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 23:11
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kyatin wrote:
I go with C.

Walker...in my opinion, yes, "evidence can suggest"


Maybe I'm wrong and "evidence" can suggest.

What do you say about "its" in C? I guess "its" is not so clear as in E and can refer to "the elephant" or "an aquatic animal".
_________________

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 315
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC_brutal [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 03:11
Clearly C. It's a case of parallelism. Suggesting and evolving
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 315
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC_brutal [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 03:17
Vavali wrote:
Clearly C. It's a case of parallelism. Suggesting and evolving


I think I spoke to quick here.

On second thoughts it should be E (even though Elephant is descended sounds odd). the its used clearly refers back to the elephants unlike in C it is uncertain what its refers to.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Dec 2007
Posts: 87
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: SC_brutal [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 03:35
daszero wrote:
zoltan wrote:
42. Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(a)..
(b) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(c)suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(d) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving
(e) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved


A) "Is descended" sounds structurally wrong. Is a descendant would be the way to go.
B)The evidence does not suggest, the embryologists suggest. Wrong.
C) Correct
D) "evidence to suggest" is ambigious. It could mean that the embryologists found all present evidence to suggest a certain conclusion or that the embryologists found new evidence that led them to conclude.
E) Refer D
I pick C.


Descendent --from answers.com:
To come from an ancestor or ancestry: He was descended from a pioneer family.
to be descendent from is a correct idiom.

E: propostion its clearly refers to elephant.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3404
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC_brutal [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 04:37
be careful..dont just listen to any random poster here...I would suggest use the search function on this website and look for post by Honghu, Ps_dahiya, Kevincan, Paul, Dahcrap, gmat773 etc..to look for answer to questions you are studying.

these guys are proven 760+ scorers and i would rely on their explanation then anyone else.

As for the answer to the question, its E...evidence cannot suggest...people suggest! we also need a simple past tense for the trunks evolved as the original question didnt imply they are still evolving..


walker wrote:
kyatin wrote:
I go with C.

Walker...in my opinion, yes, "evidence can suggest"


Maybe I'm wrong and "evidence" can suggest.

What do you say about "its" in C? I guess "its" is not so clear as in E and can refer to "the elephant" or "an aquatic animal".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Posts: 451
Location: Earth
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC_brutal [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 06:55
walker wrote:
kyatin wrote:
I go with C.

Walker...in my opinion, yes, "evidence can suggest"


Maybe I'm wrong and "evidence" can suggest.

What do you say about "its" in C? I guess "its" is not so clear as in E and can refer to "the elephant" or "an aquatic animal".


Walker, very good point. I did not notice that. I agree to E.

Kudos! Soon you will have more kudos than I have total posts. :shock:
Re: SC_brutal   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2008, 06:55
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests wolver123 4 10 Oct 2009, 22:48
18 Experts publish their posts in the topic Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests Amardeep Sharma 62 26 Nov 2007, 07:30
1 Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests Nihit 11 27 Sep 2008, 06:35
30 Experts publish their posts in the topic Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests x97agarwal 22 08 Aug 2008, 12:07
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests ronybtl 27 05 Dec 2005, 21:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.