Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Australian embryologists [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2007, 22:46
gregspirited wrote:
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(a)..
(b) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(c)suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(d) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving
(e) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

Seems to be E. Although i wasnt convinced at first it was the immediate answer. Looking back can see that "had" in C and D is wordy and not needed. A is out b/c lack of ||ism as is B.
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 33

Re: SC - Australian embryologists [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 19:41
gregspirited wrote:
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(a)..
(b) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(c)suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(d) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving
(e) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

I think it's E. you should also underline that suggests in your post.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 01:50

(A) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
(B) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(C) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(D) to suggest that the elephant has descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
(E) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 05:36
C, had descended..with its trunk..looks better option
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 06:04
(A) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
awkward, redundant use of wrods

(B) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
Incorrect tense, not parallel

(C) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
Incorrect tense

(D) to suggest that the elephant has descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
Not parallel, should use that its trunk....

(E) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved
correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 1

Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 09:57
sondenso wrote:

(E) for me, eventhough I would've preferred it begin with "that suggests" rather than "to suggest"

My GMAT debrief

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 10:11
If "E" can be correct then whats the problem with "A" ?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 10:12
OA appears to be E.

Found it in a document here (#151):

http://home.tinp.net.tw/mypage/00017269 ... 0notes.doc

This document doesn't provide an explanation, but it is pretty clear E is marked as correct. Sorry there isn't any quality assurance with this as I don't know where this person obtained the answers.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 11:09
In E -> "Elephant IS descended" right usage?

Elephant has descended sounds better, what do you say?

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 12:26
maulikmajithia wrote:
If "E" can be correct then whats the problem with "A" ?

"A. that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved"

It's not parallel:
This statement is of the form "suggests that X is ..., and Y is ..."
Here Y sounds like a true statement, as opposed to something the evidence suggests

The form "suggests that X is ... and that Y is ..." is clearer

My GMAT debrief

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 13:01
I am also for E.
A, B and D suffer pronoun error, no clear referant for Its.
Between C and E,
C says originally trunk evolving...I prefer originally trunk evolved so E.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 17:19
I never thought that E is OA, but indeed OA is E! So tricky GmatPrep!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 17:29
I think D should be correct as the 2nd ""that" is implied and not required for parallelism. Also, can some one throw some light on the following usages -
1. elephant has descended
2. elephant is descended

IMO in this case usage 1 is more appropriate than the 2.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 18:07
aviator83 wrote:
I think D should be correct as the 2nd ""that" is implied and not required for parallelism.

IMO in this case usage 1 is more appropriate than the 2.[/quote]

Try these:
John thinks that the earth is flat, and you are crazy.
John thinks that the earth is flat, and that you are crazy.

See a distinction?

aviator83 wrote:
Also, can some one throw some light on the following usages -
2. elephant is descended

"Is descended" is not incorrect. I'm not all that familiar with the whole past participle / present participle nomenclature, but I'm trying to think of some examples; here's a potential one:
1. The enemy has defeated
2. The enemy is defeated

My GMAT debrief

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 18:37
[/quote]

"Is descended" is not incorrect. I'm not all that familiar with the whole past participle / present participle nomenclature, but I'm trying to think of some examples; here's a potential one:
2. The enemy is defeated[/quote]

I guess the right examples should be :

1. the enemy has come
2. the enemy is came.

2nd is not right.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 19:41
sanjay_gmat wrote:

1. the enemy has come
2. the enemy is came.

2nd is not right.

I understand you're trying to draw an analogy between "descended" and "come", but I've used that specific example to show that verbs of the form "is <verb ending in ed>" are acceptable. Ideally, the first sentence would be "The enemy has been defeated" (which is the same as "the enemy is defeated"), but I think you may have missed my point regarding the second one.

My GMAT debrief

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 20:13
incognito1 wrote:
sanjay_gmat wrote:

1. the enemy has come
2. the enemy is came.

2nd is not right.

I understand you're trying to draw an analogy between "descended" and "come", but I've used that specific example to show that verbs of the form "is <verb ending in ed>" are acceptable. Ideally, the first sentence would be "The enemy has been defeated" (which is the same as "the enemy is defeated"), but I think you may have missed my point regarding the second one.

There is a subtle difference. In "enemy is defeated", you are assuming an object -- someone who defeated the enemy. Here it's not the case. "elephant is descended" and "enemy is came" are parallel and wrong.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2008, 08:02
incognito1 wrote:
aviator83 wrote:
I think D should be correct as the 2nd ""that" is implied and not required for parallelism.

IMO in this case usage 1 is more appropriate than the 2.

Try these:
John thinks that the earth is flat, and you are crazy.
John thinks that the earth is flat, and that you are crazy.

See a distinction?

aviator83 wrote:
Also, can some one throw some light on the following usages -
2. elephant is descended

2. The enemy is defeated[/quote]

thanks incognito and sanjay..for explaining through examples..it sure helps!
1. I don't understand the reason why a comma is required before the "and" conjunction in this case.
2. As I understand the subtle difference in meaning that you are trying point out is explained below - Pls. correct me if iam wrong -
in the first usage the clause following "and" (i.e.you are crazy)seems unrelated to the main clause that is "John thinks that the earth is flat".
whereas,in the second usage the repetition of "that" establishes a relation between the 2 clauses and therefore makes the sentence clear.

1. John thinks that the earth is flat, and you are crazy.
2. John thinks that the earth is flat, and that you are crazy.

Also, the usage example provided by sanjay seems more appropriate because it replicates the scenario in the sentence.
Incognito, buddy could you explain it a little more in clearer terms as i still feel the usage- "the elephant has descended" is better than "elephant is descended".
thanks. +1 to both of you. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 3

Australian embryologists [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 20:44
A. that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
B. that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
C. suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
D. to suggest that the elephant has descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
E. to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 6

Re: Australian embryologists [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 23:56
IMO C.

Sorry dunno how to explain SCs :oops: .

The Legion dies, it does not surrender.

Re: Australian embryologists   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2009, 23:56