Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 06:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 478 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: SC - Australian embryologists [Merged] [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 20:21
Expert's post
Although we certainly don't hear it often, "is descended" is correct. For example:

We are descended from the chimpanzee.
He is a direct descendant of Charles the Great.

But I do agree that the phrase looks odd on paper.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CEO
CEO
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: Australian...elephant [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 22:36
Amardeep Sharma wrote:
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(a)..
(b) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(c)suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(d) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving
(e) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

Amar

It is an example of how tricky can gmat questions be.

Most of the people are intimidited by A but the problem is with "its", which refers to elephant's.

If the setence were not properly paralled without "that x ......... and that y ......", "its" is never be a clear referant for "elephant". That construction is only in E, which is tghe best and OA.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Australian embryologists [Merged] [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 11:14
I went with A because I thought that evidence that was better than evidence to suggest, which sounds very bad to me. It seems as if the goal of the evidence were to suggest. In my opinion, is not a goal but a consequence, and that is why I prefer evidence that suggest.
Could anybody comment on that?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

5 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 327

Kudos [?]: 701 [5] , given: 11

Re: SC - Australian embryologists [Merged] [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

I got asked to take this one on by private message, so here I am! The answer is certainly E.

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(A) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
PROBLEM: There's no reason to use a comma with a list of two things.

(B) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
PROBLEM: You have to say "that" after the verb "to suggest".

(C) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
PROBLEM: The use of the past perfect tense here is incorrect, because the action isn't complete. I know it may seem like the descent has ended, but in the present, the elephant is STILL descended from an aquatic animal. That's an eternal truth. Also, using the prepositional phrase "with its trunk originally evolving" ends up modifying "an aquatic animal", when we really want to be referring to the elephant.

(D) to suggest that the elephant has descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
PROBLEM: We don't want to change tense in parallel unless there's a significant reason ("yesterday I went to the store but today I will stay at home"). No good reason from present perfect "has descended" to past "evolved".

(E) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved
ANSWER: "descended" and "evolved" are parallel, and everything else is clear.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Australian embryologists [Merged] [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 18:37
Tommy that was funny!

Now I do have a question... IsA wrong just because of the comma? I mean the mnhtn sc book states at one place that you will never have to rule out an option just because of a comma. pleaseexplain..

Posted from my mobile device Image

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Australian embryologists [Merged] [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 12:42
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

(E) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved
ANSWER: "descended" and "evolved" are parallel, and everything else is clear.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy
Isnt it appropriate to say "elephant has descended" instead of "elephant is descended"

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Australian embryologists [Merged] [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 14:04
IMO A.....suggest needs "that"
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 327

Kudos [?]: 701 [1] , given: 11

Re: SC - Australian embryologists [Merged] [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 09:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey Mainhoon,

Well, "evidence to suggest" is a better choice than "evidence that suggests," but I'd say the comma is the major issue.

As for Munda's question, no it wouldn't be quite as correct to say "the elephant has descended," this implies the action of descending, as in "The elephant has descended the stairs." But this meaning of "descended" is different. To "be descended" from something is a constant (like being "green" or "American"), and thus ought to be in the present tense, as in "Men are descended from apes." You wouldn't say "men have descended from apes," because it isn't a tense action, but a state of being.

Hope that makes sense!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 926 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC - Australian embryologists [Merged] [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 05:50
I have one doubt in option A.

Do you think its refer to both elephant and aquatic animal?

As per Mgmat Sc advance section , 'its' should not be ambiguous as it is the subject of both the clauses.
:-D

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1542 [1] , given: 248

Re: Australian...elephant [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 10:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Go by this maxim, and the answer will pop up. A sentence, which has two arms, if uses - that - to introduce one arm, then it must use - that -to introduce the other arm also to balance the sentence. As per this norm, only E will fit in

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Australian...elephant [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 13:10
Messages in the thread suggest that there is disagreement among A , D & E

"A" is wrong because that there is parallelism error. "Descended" is not parallel to "evolving"

"D" is wrong because ' had descended' is a wrong phrase in this context. 'Descended', as a verb, is used when someone or something is coming down from a high position. ie he descended from the hill. Shadow descended on the bench in the park.

when 'descended' is is used as noun, it carry a meaning of 'Origin' ie I am a descended of homo sapiens. Bird is a descened of reptiles. " Descended of" and Descended from " carries the same meaning

E is the only option left so lets take it as correct answer....

Hope it clarifies.....
Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Australian...elephant [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 08:41
The correct SC is:
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an
aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolving
as a kind of snorkel.

(A) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolving

(B) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving

(C) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolved

(D) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved

MY EXPLANATION:
a. evolving is wrong-because the elephant has already evolved.
b. same as A, and has suggested rather to suggest.
c. had is wrong here because The elephant is still descending
d. same as C
E. Correct.

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Australian...elephant [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 06:20
E has a perfect parallel structure.

It's useful sometimes to treat these sentences like mathematical equations.

Infinitive (to suggest) + { [ that + descended (past participle) + prepositional phrase] + [ that + evolved (past participle) + prepositional phrase] }
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 25

Re: Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2013, 08:24
Can someone please clarify the difference between evidence that suggests vs evidence to suggest?

It sounds different in my head but I can't put it into words.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Australian embryologists have found evidence [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 23:37
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolving as a kind of snorkel.
(A) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolving
(C) suggesting that the elephant had descended
from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally
evolved
(D) to suggest that the elephant had descended
from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally
evolved
(E) to suggest that the elephant is descended from
an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

the "is descended" usage puts me in trouble.Please let me know is that really necessary?Why not just "descended"?

Last edited by kiranjith on 16 Jan 2014, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 79 [1] , given: 54

Re: OG 12 Q 128 [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 23:55
This post received
KUDOS
kiranjith wrote:
the "is descended" usage puts me in trouble.Please let me know is that really necessary?Why not just "descended"?

Before I answer your question, I have a request. Your other posts, don't have all the options listed. And the topic name should contain the question (the initial words), esle the mods will lock your posts. Please do this at the earliest.

Coming back to your question,
descended as a verb has two meanings (in fact many) - 1. to get down or come down. 2. come from (a lineage or some ancestor)

She descended the bus ==> She got down from the bus.
She was descended from a noble family ==> She comes from a noble family.

By just using the word, descended (without the helping verb 'is') the meaning of the sentence is changed. Hope your doubt is clarified.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Last edited by sivasanjeev on 16 Jan 2014, 01:23, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 8

Re: OG 12 Q 128 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 01:20
This post received
KUDOS
What would u say when u want to mean ancestry r lineage?
He/she is a descendant of XYZ. Is descendant is nothing but that. On the contrary when u say he/she descended from XYZ it would mean going down. Also if u do Poe.
A. Evidence that suggest that is a bit redundant plus comma and sets an independent clause here which is not appropriate here.
B. Evolving is not correct , u have to understand that the embryologists suggested two things and each should have a. Verb.
C. Subject verb issue
D.has descended again would mean gone down. Plus this is a reporting structure you need Another that after and to maintain parallelism.
E. Correct. Proper parallelism maintained subject verb issue resolved.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Followers: 268

Kudos [?]: 2296 [0], given: 692

Re: Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 02:57
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.08

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2014, 00:56
A. that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
B. that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
C. suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
D. to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
E. to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

[Reveal] Spoiler: Explanation
a) incorrect- parallel clauses start with the same word."that" is missing in the 2nd clause.
can u please explain me how" is descended" correct ? why do we need "is" ??
and why" descended from an aquatic animal " is incorrect. dont understand why if we remove "is" we are only left with a modifier.(as per one of the earlier explanation) descended from an aquatic animal is a modifier. so is descended here not a verb ??
eg.humans evolved from apes. here evolved is a verb.
please explain.

b)incorrect- has-incorrect verb. simnple past tense should be used. only a comma between the two clauses distorts the meaning. it seems that aquatic animal's trunk evoved.

c)incorrect- with after aquatic animals modifies the animals. distorts meaning.
had is incorrect verb.
(according to one of the explanations to this question "had descended" changes the intended meaning ) the meaning of descend here becomes"to pass from higher to lower") please explain.

d) same errors. has-incorrect verb. and no "that"

e)correct.

please help.

Last edited by Gnpth on 16 Jul 2014, 01:09, edited 2 times in total.
formatted the topic
Expert Post
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 260 [0], given: 118

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2014, 01:06
Expert's post
SidKaria wrote:
A. that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
B. that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
C. suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
D. to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
E. to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
a) incorrect- parallel clauses start with the same word."that" is missing in the 2nd clause.
can u please explain me how" is descended" correct ? why do we need "is" ??
and why" descended from an aquatic animal " is incorrect. dont understand why if we remove "is" we are only left with a modifier.(as per one of the earlier explanation) descended from an aquatic animal is a modifier. so is descended here not a verb ??
eg.humans evolved from apes. here evolved is a verb.
please explain.

b)incorrect- has-incorrect verb. simnple past tense should be used. only a comma between the two clauses distorts the meaning. it seems that aquatic animal's trunk evoved.

c)incorrect- with after aquatic animals modifies the animals. distorts meaning.
had is incorrect verb.
(according to one of the explanations to this question "had descended" changes the intended meaning ) the meaning of descend here becomes"to pass from higher to lower") please explain.

d) same errors. has-incorrect verb. and no "that"

e)correct.

please help.

Merging similar Topic. Please read the rules before posting the question.

Also use the search before posting, to check whether the same topic is discussed or not.

Believe you can and you're halfway there- Theodore Roosevelt

My Blog

Rules for posting in Quants Forum || Rules for posting in verbal forum

Improving from V30 to V40 | Improving from Q35-40 to Q47 | Bunuel Special Problem Collections New!!

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2014, 01:06