Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 20:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 07:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (01:50) correct 43% (00:53) wrong based on 258 sessions
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(a)that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
(b) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(c)suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(d) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving
(e) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

Amar
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 07:33
Amar, could you please provide option (A) or underline the SC? Thanks.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Australian...elephant [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 08:07
Amardeep Sharma wrote:
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(a)..
(b) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
'suggested that the elephant' is correct. 'suggested the elephant' is wrong.

(c)suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
'had' is used to describe a past action that took place before another past action. No such need here.

(d) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving
same as C

(e) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved
I believe that ' evidence that suggests' is better than 'evidence to suggest'

Amar

I'm assuming the above is underlined.

I pick A as the answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 08:10
I think the original is fine.

"has suggested" is an inappropriate tense

"had descended" is an inappropriate tense

"evolving" is not parallel to "had descended from"

hmm - the only difference with A is "that suggests" vs "to suggest". I think that "that suggests" is better but I'm not quite sure why.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Australian...elephant [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 16:15
GK_Gmat wrote:
Amardeep Sharma wrote:

(a)..

'had' is used to describe a past action that took place before another past action. No such need here.

same as C

Amar

I pick A as the answer.

Sorry for not underlining... it is as suggested by GK_GMAT, however, OA is E... even I chose A.

Can someone explain why OA is E

Amar
CEO
CEO
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 507 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: Australian...elephant [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 16:24
Amardeep Sharma wrote:
GK_Gmat wrote:
Amardeep Sharma wrote:

(a)..

same as C

Amar

I pick A as the answer.

Sorry for not underlining... it is as suggested by GK_GMAT, however, OA is E... even I chose A.

Can someone explain why OA is E

Amar

yah E is the most logical and paralleded.
present tense is used to mean "elephant was and is decendent from x.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Australian...elephant [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 04:02
Amardeep Sharma wrote:

(a)..

Amar

Went for A.

dont like the word "evolving" in option B, C and D.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Australian...elephant [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 05:16
Amardeep Sharma wrote:

(a)..
Amar

(A) and its trunk -Dangling modifier. Not sure if it modifies aquatic animal or elephant
(B) has suggested the elephant - Bad Phrasing
(C) had descened ....evolving - tense mis-match
(D) it carries the same error as 'C' & 'A'

(E) Emphasizes a fact , a hypothesis therefore usage of 'is' allowed...
descended ....evolved is parallel
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

SC - Australian embryologists [Merged] [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2007, 10:02

(a)..

--gregspirited

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2007, 11:07

(a)..

A. wrong, creates two sentences but the second sentence "its trunk originally..." has no link to the "evidence that suggests".
B. run on sentence...needs
C. wrong, tense should be 'has descended' or 'descended'
D. wrong, same reason as C
E. correct
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Australian embryologists [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2007, 11:08
[quote="gregspirited"]Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(a)..

The answer could be E. The evidence is used by scientists to suggest that...and that...Its' parallel
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Australian embryologists [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2007, 22:46
gregspirited wrote:

(a)..

Seems to be E. Although i wasnt convinced at first it was the immediate answer. Looking back can see that "had" in C and D is wordy and not needed. A is out b/c lack of ||ism as is B.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 33

Re: SC - Australian embryologists [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 19:41
gregspirited wrote:

(a)..

I think it's E. you should also underline that suggests in your post.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 01:50

(A) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
(B) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(C) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(D) to suggest that the elephant has descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
(E) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 05:18
This post received
KUDOS
sondenso wrote:

(A) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
(B) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(C) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(D) to suggest that the elephant has descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
(E) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

It's a tough one between C and D.

Since elephant is a living species, I believe we need to use "has" not "had". Also I believe that the "evidence to suggest" is not the right usage. It should either be "evidence that suggests" or "evidence suggesting".

C should be it.

Guys, could you not write just your answer? It doesn't help much in the discussion if one doesn't provide some sort of an explanation for choosing a particular answer. Let's make this discussion worthwhile to everyone.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 05:36
C, had descended..with its trunk..looks better option
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 06:04
awkward, redundant use of wrods

Incorrect tense, not parallel

Incorrect tense

Not parallel, should use that its trunk....

correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 09:57
sondenso wrote:

(E) for me, eventhough I would've preferred it begin with "that suggests" rather than "to suggest"

My GMAT debrief

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 10:11
If "E" can be correct then whats the problem with "A" ?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 10:12
OA appears to be E.

Found it in a document here (#151):

http://home.tinp.net.tw/mypage/00017269 ... 0notes.doc

This document doesn't provide an explanation, but it is pretty clear E is marked as correct. Sorry there isn't any quality assurance with this as I don't know where this person obtained the answers.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: SC.Prep. Australian   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2008, 10:12