Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 10:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 07:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:55) correct 41% (00:57) wrong based on 196 sessions
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(a)that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
(b) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(c)suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(d) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving
(e) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

Amar
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
5 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 316

Kudos [?]: 660 [5] , given: 11

Re: SC - Australian embryologists [Merged] [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

I got asked to take this one on by private message, so here I am! The answer is certainly E.

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(A) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
PROBLEM: There's no reason to use a comma with a list of two things.

(B) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
PROBLEM: You have to say "that" after the verb "to suggest".

(C) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
PROBLEM: The use of the past perfect tense here is incorrect, because the action isn't complete. I know it may seem like the descent has ended, but in the present, the elephant is STILL descended from an aquatic animal. That's an eternal truth. Also, using the prepositional phrase "with its trunk originally evolving" ends up modifying "an aquatic animal", when we really want to be referring to the elephant.

(D) to suggest that the elephant has descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
PROBLEM: We don't want to change tense in parallel unless there's a significant reason ("yesterday I went to the store but today I will stay at home"). No good reason from present perfect "has descended" to past "evolved".

(E) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved
ANSWER: "descended" and "evolved" are parallel, and everything else is clear.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 05:18
This post received
KUDOS
sondenso wrote:

(A) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
(B) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(C) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(D) to suggest that the elephant has descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
(E) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

It's a tough one between C and D.

Since elephant is a living species, I believe we need to use "has" not "had". Also I believe that the "evidence to suggest" is not the right usage. It should either be "evidence that suggests" or "evidence suggesting".

C should be it.

Guys, could you not write just your answer? It doesn't help much in the discussion if one doesn't provide some sort of an explanation for choosing a particular answer. Let's make this discussion worthwhile to everyone.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC.Prep. Australian [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 20:45
This post received
KUDOS
sanjay_gmat wrote:
incognito1 wrote:
sanjay_gmat wrote:

I guess the right examples should be :

1. the enemy has come
2. the enemy is came.

2nd is not right.

I understand you're trying to draw an analogy between "descended" and "come", but I've used that specific example to show that verbs of the form "is <verb ending in ed>" are acceptable. Ideally, the first sentence would be "The enemy has been defeated" (which is the same as "the enemy is defeated"), but I think you may have missed my point regarding the second one.

There is a subtle difference. In "enemy is defeated", you are assuming an object -- someone who defeated the enemy. Here it's not the case. "elephant is descended" and "enemy is came" are parallel and wrong.

To use your example, and this may be a little surprising, "the enemy is arrived" (semantically the same as "the enemy is come") is actually grammatically correct. This verbiage is derived from "Old English" and is rarely used in colloquial English. Search for "is descended" on google and you'll see what I mean.

My GMAT debrief

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 9

Re: Australian embryologists [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 09:11
This post received
KUDOS
abhi758 wrote:
A. that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
B. that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
C. suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
D. to suggest that the elephant has descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
E. to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

My expl,

1. Eliminate B,C preffered envolved to envolving -> A,D,E
2. A: wordy "that suggests that" and odd of the 3 -> D,E
3. suggests that ... and that ->E
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 316

Kudos [?]: 660 [1] , given: 11

Re: SC - Australian embryologists [Merged] [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 09:56
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Mainhoon,

Well, "evidence to suggest" is a better choice than "evidence that suggests," but I'd say the comma is the major issue.

As for Munda's question, no it wouldn't be quite as correct to say "the elephant has descended," this implies the action of descending, as in "The elephant has descended the stairs." But this meaning of "descended" is different. To "be descended" from something is a constant (like being "green" or "American"), and thus ought to be in the present tense, as in "Men are descended from apes." You wouldn't say "men have descended from apes," because it isn't a tense action, but a state of being.

Hope that makes sense!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1431 [1] , given: 245

Re: Australian...elephant [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 10:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Go by this maxim, and the answer will pop up. A sentence, which has two arms, if uses - that - to introduce one arm, then it must use - that -to introduce the other arm also to balance the sentence. As per this norm, only E will fit in

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [1] , given: 54

Re: OG 12 Q 128 [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 23:55
This post received
KUDOS
kiranjith wrote:
the "is descended" usage puts me in trouble.Please let me know is that really necessary?Why not just "descended"?

Before I answer your question, I have a request. Your other posts, don't have all the options listed. And the topic name should contain the question (the initial words), esle the mods will lock your posts. Please do this at the earliest.

Coming back to your question,
descended as a verb has two meanings (in fact many) - 1. to get down or come down. 2. come from (a lineage or some ancestor)

She descended the bus ==> She got down from the bus.
She was descended from a noble family ==> She comes from a noble family.

By just using the word, descended (without the helping verb 'is') the meaning of the sentence is changed. Hope your doubt is clarified.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Last edited by sivasanjeev on 16 Jan 2014, 01:23, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 8

Re: OG 12 Q 128 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 01:20
This post received
KUDOS
What would u say when u want to mean ancestry r lineage?
He/she is a descendant of XYZ. Is descendant is nothing but that. On the contrary when u say he/she descended from XYZ it would mean going down. Also if u do Poe.
A. Evidence that suggest that is a bit redundant plus comma and sets an independent clause here which is not appropriate here.
B. Evolving is not correct , u have to understand that the embryologists suggested two things and each should have a. Verb.
C. Subject verb issue
D.has descended again would mean gone down. Plus this is a reporting structure you need Another that after and to maintain parallelism.
E. Correct. Proper parallelism maintained subject verb issue resolved.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1188

Kudos [?]: 3168 [1] , given: 176

Re: Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2014, 08:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
SidKaria wrote:
A. that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
B. that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
C. suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
D. to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
E. to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

[Reveal] Spoiler: Explanation
a) incorrect- parallel clauses start with the same word."that" is missing in the 2nd clause.
can u please explain me how" is descended" correct ? why do we need "is" ??
and why" descended from an aquatic animal " is incorrect. dont understand why if we remove "is" we are only left with a modifier.(as per one of the earlier explanation) descended from an aquatic animal is a modifier. so is descended here not a verb ??
eg.humans evolved from apes. here evolved is a verb.
please explain.

b)incorrect- has-incorrect verb. simnple past tense should be used. only a comma between the two clauses distorts the meaning. it seems that aquatic animal's trunk evoved.

c)incorrect- with after aquatic animals modifies the animals. distorts meaning.
had is incorrect verb.
(according to one of the explanations to this question "had descended" changes the intended meaning ) the meaning of descend here becomes"to pass from higher to lower") please explain.

d) same errors. has-incorrect verb. and no "that"

e)correct.

please help.

Hi Sid,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

So let's take your doubts in the order you have posted them.

Choice A: Yes, your analysis is correct that we need another "that" to maintain parallelism in the sentence.

Now, use of "is descended" is correct because it denotes that the elephants have evolved from a water animal. We need "is" because this event is a universal fact. This fact holds true for all time in the past, present, and future. When want to convey that someone has come from certain ancestor or ancestry, we use "is/was descended" depending on the context of the usage.

In this choice, "is descended" together is a verb. But in Choice B, "descended" appears to be a modifier because "that" is missing after "has suggested". The way Choice B is worded, it seems to convey that the evidence has suggested the elephant itself and not something about elephant. In such a structure, "descended" seems to be a modifier rather than a verb. Even if used as a verb, "descended" would not be correct as it would give a complete different meaning.

Choice B: You have said that "only a comma between the two clauses distorts the meaning". What lies after comma is not clause as it does not have a verb. This choice is incorrect for the usage of "has suggested the elephant". Also now the choice does not say that the evidence suggests two things.

Choice C: As I have already mentioned, when we want to denote that something has come from an ancestor or ancestry, we use "is/was descended". Any other verb form changes the meaning of the word. The verb "has descended" means it has literally come down from an elevated point.

Choice D: Your analysis of this choice is correct.

Choice E: This choice rectifies all the errors and is the correct one.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 07:33
Amar, could you please provide option (A) or underline the SC? Thanks.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Australian...elephant [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 08:07
Amardeep Sharma wrote:

(a)..
(b) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
'suggested that the elephant' is correct. 'suggested the elephant' is wrong.

(c)suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
'had' is used to describe a past action that took place before another past action. No such need here.

(d) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving
same as C

(e) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved
I believe that ' evidence that suggests' is better than 'evidence to suggest'

Amar

I'm assuming the above is underlined.

I pick A as the answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 08:10
I think the original is fine.

"has suggested" is an inappropriate tense

"had descended" is an inappropriate tense

"evolving" is not parallel to "had descended from"

hmm - the only difference with A is "that suggests" vs "to suggest". I think that "that suggests" is better but I'm not quite sure why.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Australian...elephant [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 16:15
GK_Gmat wrote:
Amardeep Sharma wrote:

(a)..

'had' is used to describe a past action that took place before another past action. No such need here.

same as C

Amar

I pick A as the answer.

Sorry for not underlining... it is as suggested by GK_GMAT, however, OA is E... even I chose A.

Can someone explain why OA is E

Amar
CEO
CEO
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 484 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: Australian...elephant [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 16:24
Amardeep Sharma wrote:
GK_Gmat wrote:
Amardeep Sharma wrote:

(a)..

same as C

Amar

I pick A as the answer.

Sorry for not underlining... it is as suggested by GK_GMAT, however, OA is E... even I chose A.

Can someone explain why OA is E

Amar

yah E is the most logical and paralleded.
present tense is used to mean "elephant was and is decendent from x.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Australian...elephant [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 04:02
Amardeep Sharma wrote:

(a)..

Amar

Went for A.

dont like the word "evolving" in option B, C and D.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Australian...elephant [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 05:16
Amardeep Sharma wrote:

(a)..
Amar

(A) and its trunk -Dangling modifier. Not sure if it modifies aquatic animal or elephant
(B) has suggested the elephant - Bad Phrasing
(C) had descened ....evolving - tense mis-match
(D) it carries the same error as 'C' & 'A'

(E) Emphasizes a fact , a hypothesis therefore usage of 'is' allowed...
descended ....evolved is parallel
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

SC - Australian embryologists [Merged] [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2007, 10:02

(a)..

--gregspirited

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2007, 11:07

(a)..

A. wrong, creates two sentences but the second sentence "its trunk originally..." has no link to the "evidence that suggests".
B. run on sentence...needs
C. wrong, tense should be 'has descended' or 'descended'
D. wrong, same reason as C
E. correct
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Australian embryologists [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2007, 11:08
[quote="gregspirited"]Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(a)..

The answer could be E. The evidence is used by scientists to suggest that...and that...Its' parallel
Re: SC - Australian embryologists   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2007, 11:08