Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 10:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

please delete this

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

please delete this [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 17:14
thank you

Last edited by dennis3320858 on 21 Jul 2013, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 1

Re: Australian Engineer seeking advice [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 08:11
Expert's post
Hi mate,

Let's discuss your post in different components, sound good?

Academics: GMAT - a 720 is a great target. It's hard to say what you need at this point but for you let's go with "the higher the better". A 680 is a solid score but you need be in the 700+ club. Your GPA(s) are average and within the range. They won't hold you back, but they won't help you stand out either. Effectively, they're a non-issue. So you need a great GMAT to stand out.

You say you have a Masters - in what exactly? Some programs don't like masters degrees, some are ok with them. Also, your story for "why an MBA" will need to be crystal clear. This is important for everyone but when you have an engineering background and (I assume?) a related masters, that makes it critical for you.

Work experience: ok, so here you're a little light. If you can't easily demonstrate leadership (people, thought, etc. - there are many types of leadership) then that's probably a sign that needs to be heeded. Your small business experience, however, DEFINITELY should be highlighted. That's good stuff man! And chances are you learned more doing that than most other activities so yes, include it. As for your professional experience, what did you actually do? That's important and I can't get that from what you've shared.

Origin: Australia isn't hard, it isn't easy. Yes, India and China is a hurdle for those applicants but for you, you're merely vying for the international spots without much bias for or against you. You're going toe to toe with Brazil, Denmark, Russia, etc. However, what's your ethnicity? That factors in.

Extracurriculars: you haven't mentioned this at all?

Overall, I could use a little more information so share on! I'm happy to help but want to make sure I give you the best possible advice.

Cheers!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

please delete, thank you [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 16:19
please delete, thank you

Last edited by dennis3320858 on 21 Jul 2013, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 1

Re: Australian Engineer seeking advice [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 05:10
Expert's post
Hey there,

So I definitely understand why you want to get an MBA - it makes sense and I think it's the right step for you.

Look, when it comes to the Chinese component, that is what it is. Yes, you are in a competitive pool. You already were by the sheer fact that you are an international candidate so it doesn't matter. If your involvement centers around your background, that's ok! It's not about hiding your background, but it's about standing out within it. Not everyone applying who is Chinese helps people in new environments and works directly with the embassy to do that. That's a cool thing so definitely highlight it.

However, to your point, you are more than an ethnicity. You are a collection of experiences, ideas, passions, etc. So highlight everything in balance but don't leave anything out just because you feel it makes you look really Chinese :)

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: Australian Engineer seeking advice   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2013, 05:10