Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Sciencex   Short Passagex                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [86]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [32]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [27]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [4]
Given Kudos: 62
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Australian researchers have discovered electroreceptors (sensory organ [#permalink]
Kudos
Q3: Last line of the passage clearly suggests that the researchers are agreeing that anteaters located the chambers quickly because of electroreceptors. Hence E

This ability quickly to locate unseen prey suggests, according to the researchers, that the anteaters were using their electroreceptors to locate the nesting chambers.

Q4. The hypotheseis that needs to be strengthened is "anteaters use electroreceptors to detect electrical signals given off by prey"

researchers experimented anteaters in a weak electrical field and concluded that anteaters can detect weak electrical signals and hypothesized their theory that anteaters use electroreceptors to locate their prey. But according to the passage, researchers are still not sure of any electrical signals emanating from termite mounds. This points out a gap in their hyposthesis. option B fillls the gap.

let me know if any further questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Australian researchers have discovered electroreceptors (sensory organ [#permalink]
anshunadir wrote:
Q3: Last line of the passage clearly suggests that the researchers are agreeing that anteaters located the chambers quickly because of electroreceptors. Hence E

This ability quickly to locate unseen prey suggests, according to the researchers, that the anteaters were using their electroreceptors to locate the nesting chambers.

Q4. The hypotheseis that needs to be strengthened is "anteaters use electroreceptors to detect electrical signals given off by prey"

researchers experimented anteaters in a weak electrical field and concluded that anteaters can detect weak electrical signals and hypothesized their theory that anteaters use electroreceptors to locate their prey. But according to the passage, researchers are still not sure of any electrical signals emanating from termite mounds. This points out a gap in their hyposthesis. option B fillls the gap.

Ya... What you said about 3 is absolutely correct. Then how come the answer is E? It should be A. Your reasoning suggests A more than E. Am I missing something? 4 is fine.

chigiwigi wrote:
What is the ans to Question 2?

C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [4]
Given Kudos: 62
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
Ya... What you said about 3 is absolutely correct. Then how come the answer is E? It should be A. Your reasoning suggests A more than E. Am I missing something? 4 is fine.

Having discovered the electroreceptors, researchers are now investigating how anteaters utilize such a sophisticated sensory system. In one behavioral experiment, researchers successfully trained an anteater to distinguish between two troughs of water, one with a weak electrical field and the other with none. Such evidence is consistent with researchers’ hypothesis that anteaters use electroreceptors to detect electrical signals given off by prey; however, researchers as yet have been unable to detect electrical signals emanating from termite mounds, where the favorite food of anteaters live. Still, researchers have observed anteaters breaking into a nest of ants at an oblique angle and quickly locating nesting chambers. This ability quickly to locate unseen prey suggests, according to the researchers, that the anteaters were using their electroreceptors to locate the nesting chambers.

I have divided the second para into three parts(using different colors)
Experiment in Red text already says that anteaters use electroreceptors to locate their prey. So if the question was about this experiment, option A would have been a better option. But the question talks about the experiment in blue text which only talks about how quickly anteaters were able to locate the prey colonies because of elecroreceptors.
Also, the last line of red text says anteaters use electroreceptors to detect electrical signals and the text in green says that researchers have been unable to detect any electrical signals emanating from prey colonies. This again holds against A which says conclusive evidence.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
why C is the answer of question 102? isn't D a possible choice??
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [2]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
lucasITA wrote:

102. Which of the following can be inferred about the experiment described in the first paragraph?

(D) Researchers found that the anteater’s tactile receptors were more easily excited by a strong electrical stimulus than were the electro receptors..
==>here it is written that tactile receptors were more easily excited than electro receptors...
but there is no such comparison done that who will be more easily excited

Australian researchers have discovered
electroreceptors (sensory organs designed to respond
to electrical fields) clustered at the tip of the spiny
anteater's snout. The researchers made this discovery
by exposing small areas of the snout to extremely
weak electrical fields and recording the transmission
of resulting nervous activity to the brain. While it is
true that tactile receptors, another kind of sensory
organ on the anteater's snout,can also respondto
electrical stimuli, such receptors do so only in
response to electrical field strengths about 1,000
times greater than
those known to excite
electroreceptors.

hope it helps
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32878 [1]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
lucasITA wrote:

Im not quite sure to understand what do you mean

C say

(C) Researchers found that some areas of the anteater’s snout were not sensitive to a weak electrical stimulus.

Instead D say

(D) Researchers found that the anteater’s tactile receptors were more easily excited by a strong electrical stimulus than were the electro receptors..

Now, tp be honest D is the mostemtive answer choice among the others \(BUT\) D talks about electrical stimulus stronger instead the passage talks about

Quote:
such receptors do so only in
response to electrical field strengths about 1,000
times greater than those known to excite
electroreceptors.

is not the same thing at all.........

For C we have
Quote:
The researchers made this discovery
by exposing small areas of the snout to extremely
weak electrical fields and recording the transmission
of resulting nervous activity to the brain

That's it. Hope is fine my explanation
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.86
WE:Analyst (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
For question 5, I picked A, but the OA is E. Any explanation to this question?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 557 [1]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Kudos
Juz2play wrote:
For question 5, I picked A, but the OA is E. Any explanation to this question?

Just check the last two lines of the last para.

Still, researchers have observed anteaters
breaking into a nest of ants at an oblique angle and
quickly locating nesting chambers. This ability to
quickly
locate unseen prey suggests, according to the
researchers, that the anteaters were using their
electroreceptors to locate the nesting chambers.

Even I chose A but then re read the last paragraph when I found my answer incorrect.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
lawiniecke wrote:
Can you please provide the answer to Q1 & Q2? Thahttps://gmatclub.com/forum/posting.p ... ingboxnks!!

The answers have been added.

Hi sayantanc2k,
Can you please provide an explanantion for Q2?

Originally posted by nazgull on 20 Mar 2017, 21:53.
Last edited by nazgull on 21 Mar 2017, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [2]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
nazgulISB wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
lawiniecke wrote:
Can you please provide the answer to Q1 & Q2? Thahttps://gmatclub.com/forum/posting.p ... ingboxnks!!

The answers have been added.

Hi sayantanc2k,
Can you please provide an explanantion for Q2?

My two cents:
Which of the following can be inferred about the experiment described in the first paragraph? [ Australian researchers have discovered electroreceptors (sensory organs designed to respond to electrical fields) clustered at the tip of the spiny anteater’s snout. The researchers made this discovery by exposing small areas of the snout to extremely weak electrical fields and recording the transmission of resulting nervous activity to the brain. ] While it is true that tactile receptors, another kind of sensory organ on the anteater’s snout, can also respond to electrical stimuli, such receptors do so only in response to electrical field strengths about 1,000 times greater than those known to excite electroreceptors.

The likely options to get the reader confused :
(C) Researchers found that some areas of the anteater’s snout were not sensitive to a weak electrical stimulus.
(D) Researchers found that the anteater’s tactile receptors were more easily excited by a strong electrical stimulus than were the electroreceptors.

Why is C the OA?
The finding of the little experiment is bold faced and is what we want to get our inference from. So from this sentence we know that electroreceptors are clustured at the tip of the snout, and hence, only this part responds to electrical fields. Which would mean some areas of the snout are not sensitive to a weal electrical stimulus.

Why is D not correct?
The ease with which or the affinity to strong electrical stimulus by tactile & electroreceptors has not been compared anywhere in the passage. Passage just talks about that tactile receptors getting excited to strong electrical stimulus. In fact, passage doesn't even mention, implicitly or explicitly, that electroreceptors get excited at all to strong electrical stimulus.

Hope this helps. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools: HBS '18
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Hi jennpt, can you please provide an explanation for

Which of the following can be inferred about the experiment described in the first paragraph?

(A) Researchers had difficulty verifying the existence of electroreceptors in the anteater because electroreceptors respond to such a narrow range of electrical field strengths.Clearly wrong
(B) Researchers found that the level of nervous activity in the anteater’s brain increased dramatically as the strength of the electrical stimulus was increased. Clearly wrong
(C) Researchers found that some areas of the anteater’s snout were not sensitive to a weak electrical stimulus.How can we infer this?
(D) Researchers found that the anteater’s tactile receptors were more easily excited by a strong electrical stimulus than were the electroreceptors.Clearly wrong. This was not what the experiment was about
(E) Researchers tested small areas of the anteater’s snout in order to ensure that only electroreceptors were responding to the stimulus.I picked this even though I did not fully support it but I could not find a better answer.

4. Which of the following can be inferred about anteaters from the behavioral experiment mentioned in the second paragraph?

(A) They are unable to distinguish between stimuli detected by their electroreceptors and stimuli detected by their tactile receptors.
(B) They are unable to distinguish between the electrical signals emanating from termite mounds and those emanating from ant nests.
(C) They can be trained to recognize consistently the presence of a particular stimulus.
(D) They react more readily to strong than to weak stimuli.
(E) They are more efficient at detecting stimuli in a controlled environment than in a natural environment.

Here I was stuck between C and D. What through me off if the word "Consistently" in C. This was a one time experiment but the choice says consistently. D made more sense to me because the ant eaters reacted to the weak stimuli more than to no stimuli.

As always, thank you!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [13]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi oasis90,

This is a fun one. I like picturing these crazy sophisticated anteaters and their supercool nose technology.

For Q2, I'll be honest, I initially picked E too. However, the truth is we really don't know how or if they made sure that only electroreceptors were responding. But we can prove C by putting two and two together (typical GMAT inference structure):
*We know that tactile receptors don't respond to weak electrical charges
*We know that tactile receptors are on the animal's snout
Therefore, we know that there are some areas on the animal's snout (namely the tactile receptors) that don't respond to weak electrical charges. This is the super-safe answer we can prove.

For Q4, I didn't like "consistently" in C very much either. But this was the key finding from the study - that the anteaters could be trained in this way - so I wouldn't characterize it as a one-off event. The researchers must have been able to replicate that happening a few different times in order to make that conclusion. If the results of the training had been inconsistent, the researchers could not have said they "successfully trained an anteater".

But D goes too far. What do we know about strong vs. weak stimuli? At least when it comes to electrical charges, we know that anteaters use different receptors to detect strong stimuli than they do to detect weak stimuli. Really, that's all we know. I don't have any evidence to make a comparison about how readily (easily/quickly) they detect strong vs. weak. In your note, you mentioned weak stimuli vs. no stimuli, which isn't the same as strong vs. weak.

Hope that helps; let me know.

Best, Jennifer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools: HBS '18
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
jennpt wrote:
Hi oasis90,

This is a fun one. I like picturing these crazy sophisticated anteaters and their supercool nose technology.

For Q2, I'll be honest, I initially picked E too. However, the truth is we really don't know how or if they made sure that only electroreceptors were responding. But we can prove C by putting two and two together (typical GMAT inference structure):
*We know that tactile receptors don't respond to weak electrical charges
*We know that tactile receptors are on the animal's snout
Therefore, we know that there are some areas on the animal's snout (namely the tactile receptors) that don't respond to weak electrical charges. This is the super-safe answer we can prove.

For Q4, I didn't like "consistently" in C very much either. But this was the key finding from the study - that the anteaters could be trained in this way - so I wouldn't characterize it as a one-off event. The researchers must have been able to replicate that happening a few different times in order to make that conclusion. If the results of the training had been inconsistent, the researchers could not have said they "successfully trained an anteater".

But D goes too far. What do we know about strong vs. weak stimuli? At least when it comes to electrical charges, we know that anteaters use different receptors to detect strong stimuli than they do to detect weak stimuli. Really, that's all we know. I don't have any evidence to make a comparison about how readily (easily/quickly) they detect strong vs. weak. In your note, you mentioned weak stimuli vs. no stimuli, which isn't the same as strong vs. weak.

Hope that helps; let me know.

Best, Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer for the thorough explanation. This is kind of subtle. I thought about putting 2 and 2 together but maybe what threw me off is the word "Area". If the wording of the choice was "Some parts/receptors/mini-organs don't respond to weak stimuli" I would have selected it. When I saw area, I thought maybe tactile and electro receptors are both in the same vicinity so area is a generalization. Perhaps I am overthinking single words like I did with "consistently" below.

I think for Q4 I should have paid more attention to the word "readily" because, as you mentioned, there is no mention of that. and yes strong vs no is not the same as strong vs weak

Thanks again for your detailed explanation. I am reading many interesting and challenging OG passages and I will be reaching out with more questions.

Kind regards,

Oasis
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
5. The passage suggests that the researchers mentioned in the second paragraph who observed anteaters break into a nest of ants would most likely agree with which of the following statements?

(A) The event they observed provides conclusive evidence that anteaters use their electroreceptors to locate unseen prey.
(B) The event they observed was atypical and may not reflect the usual hunting practices of anteaters.
(C) It is likely that the anteaters located the ants??? nesting chambers without the assistance of electroreceptors.
(D) Anteaters possess a very simple sensory system for use in locating prey.
(E) The speed with which the anteaters located their prey is greater than what might be expected on the basis of chance alone.

Hi Experts,
I was stuck between A and E while trying to figure out the answer. While E seems right A is too direct and directly picked up from the passage. Please explain why E is better over A.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [3]
Send PM
Kudos