Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Auto industry executive: Statistics show that cars that were

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Auto industry executive: Statistics show that cars that were [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2008, 05:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

64% (01:43) correct 36% (01:47) wrong based on 27 sessions
Auto industry executive: Statistics show that cars that were built smaller after 1977 to make them more fuel-efficient had a higher incidence of accident-related fatalities than did their earlier larger counterparts. For this reason we oppose recent guidelines that would require us to produce cars with higher fuel efficiency.
Which of the following, if true, would constitute the strongest objection to the executives argument?

A. Even after 1977, large automobiles were frequently involved in accidents that caused death or serious injury.

B. Although fatalities in accidents involving small cars have increased since 1977, the number of accidents has decreased.

C. New computerized fuel systems can enable large cars to meet fuel efficiency standards established by the recent guidelines.

D. Modern technology can make small cars more fuel-efficient today than at any other time in their production history.

E. Fuel efficiency in models of large cars rose immediately after 1977 but has been declining ever since.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR: small cars [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2008, 07:22
This post received
KUDOS
Nihit wrote:
Auto industry executive: Statistics show that cars that were built smaller after 1977 to make them more fuel-efficient had a higher incidence of accident-related fatalities than did their earlier larger counterparts. For this reason we oppose recent guidelines that would require us to produce cars with higher fuel efficiency.
Which of the following, if true, would constitute the strongest objection to the executives argument?

A. Even after 1977, large automobiles were frequently involved in accidents that caused death or serious injury.

B. Although fatalities in accidents involving small cars have increased since 1977, the number of accidents has decreased.

C. New computerized fuel systems can enable large cars to meet fuel efficiency standards established by the recent guidelines.

D. Modern technology can make small cars more fuel-efficient today than at any other time in their production history.

E. Fuel efficiency in models of large cars rose immediately after 1977 but has been declining ever since.

IMO C

Argument: we oppose recent guidelines that would require us to produce cars with higher fuel efficiency

Premise:

Auto industry executive: Statistics show that cars that were built smaller after 1977 to make them more fuel-efficient had a higher incidence of accident-related fatalities than did their earlier larger counterparts

Why do the executive oppose the guideliness? Guidelines require cars with high effeciency and for this card have to be made small

( Small car-higher effeciency)

Weaken argument:

We have to show that somehow effeciency can be achieved without making cars small

C clearly does it.

New tech system can help even large cars to be fuel effecient and hence adhere the guideliness

A, B-dont talk at all about effecieny..Omit

E-weakens to some extent..but not as much as C
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: small cars [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2008, 08:15
I think C.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: small cars [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2008, 08:54
Yup I agree with C, however I was thinking abt A or B, but the qrgument talks abt fuel efficiency and not abt accidents or injuries
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: small cars [#permalink] New post 07 May 2011, 12:54
i too think C is the right answer, We have to show that somehow efficiency can be achieved without making cars small

C clearly does it.

but there is one doubt , there is an assumption here that the small size of the car is the cause of more accidents , i think there is a correlation , but not a cause and effect relationship

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: small cars [#permalink] New post 07 May 2011, 12:56
C brings a new factor that has nothing to do with the weight issue that could resolve the problem. so making the aout maker urgument useless.
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: small cars [#permalink] New post 07 May 2011, 13:09
garimavyas wrote:
i too think C is the right answer, We have to show that somehow efficiency can be achieved without making cars small

C clearly does it.

but there is one doubt , there is an assumption here that the small size of the car is the cause of more accidents , i think there is a correlation , but not a cause and effect relationship

Focal point is rejection of guidelines to make fuel efficient cars.
C shows a way with which even large cars can be more fuel efficient.

Premise - had a higher incidence of accident-related fatalities than did their earlier larger counterparts.

fatalities are more,not the number of accidents. Hence to reduce this, large cars are a must. Its indeed a co relation though.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: small cars [#permalink] New post 08 May 2011, 05:13
whether fatalities or accident , the point of the assumption is that the cause is small size of the car, but that has not been proved,

the best answer is based on the logic, 'remove the cause and the effect ceases',which can not be applied here.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: small cars [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 00:12
+1 C

B doesn't solve the problem related to fatalities.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: CR: small cars   [#permalink] 09 May 2011, 00:12