Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 387 [9]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 8.7
WE 1: Software Design and Development
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
 Q49  V42
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Send PM
Re: The automobile industry in Country A argues that, because foreign auto [#permalink]
Hi I chose D but i feel A is a contender as well.Because if the consumers in some industries care more for quality rather than price , the Automobile industry will get an excuse to to strengthen their demaind for Higher tariffs for Automobile exports.

A tells us that in some industries such as the ones mentioned above , the consumers go for the local products because the local products are better in quality than the imported ones . This point is , then , in support of the Automobile industry
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 387 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 8.7
WE 1: Software Design and Development
Send PM
Re: The automobile industry in Country A argues that, because foreign auto [#permalink]
mundasingh123 wrote:
Hi I chose D but i feel A is a contender as well.Because if the consumers in some industries care more for quality rather than price , the Automobile industry will get an excuse to to strengthen their demaind for Higher tariffs for Automobile exports.

A tells us that in some industries such as the ones mentioned above , the consumers go for the local products because the local products are better in quality than the imported ones . This point is , then , in support of the Automobile industry

But in choice A , automobile industry is not mentioned as one of the impacted industries and scope is also too broad ( We are talking about Country A in the question where as in the choice it takes the entire auto industry into scope).

A) In some industries -- such as childcare, scientific equipment, and higher education -- consumers care far more about the quality of the product than the price.

OA is D . I am not posting official explanation as the replies capably handle it.

Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
the answer is D of course. D strengthens the position taken by the automobile industry of country A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi, I still have trouble to understand why the answer should be D, not B.

As for answer D, if the production of cars in country A relies on imported products very much, that is to say increased tariff will have a reverse effect on the cost of making card in A, and will make the industry less competitive comparing from imported cars because 'foreign automakers underpay....', I thought this option weakens country A's claim most seriously, instead of supporting it.

For B, because foreign government gives subsidies to support their automobile industry, and that is the reason why AUTOMOBIL industry differentiates other industries, and the only way to compensate the disadvantage is to increase the tariff.

I realize it does say the government would offset 'ANY EXTRA COST', but thought it is the option supporting the claim most strongly.

Please help, thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
A) In some industries -- such as childcare, scientific equipment, and higher education -- consumers care far more about the quality of the product than the price. - The passage speaks about the price rather than quality - Irrelevant - Incorrect
B) Many governments support automobile exports so strongly that they would be willing to increase subsidies to offset any additional costs that are a result of exports. - Governments support their respective automobile industry and that reduces the cost for them, which is actually mentioned in the passage - Incorrect
C) There are several industries for which the ratio of workers' wages in Country A to the workers' wages in other countries is even higher than it is in the automobile industry. - Irrelevant - No direct connection to the arguement - Incorrect
D) Because of a scarcity of mineral and metal resources, Country A's automobile industry has to import, and pay tariffs on, most mineral or metal materials used to produce automobiles. - Since raw materials are imported and tariffs has to be paid, this additional cost cuts into the profits. To gain advantage, the foreign import duty have to be increased. Fills in the gap - Correct
E) No industries in Country A other than the automobile industry, including those whose raw materials are highly taxed, have asked for an increase of the 8 tariff - Out of scope - Incorrect
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.34
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Hello qwerty12321,

Here the Stem is pointing to the fact that: Auto Mfgrers are complaining about the cost-competitiveness to other foreign mfgrers. So, the domestic Auto industry is asking for higher tariff on these imported cars in order to boost the domestic business.

Now, the author is comparing the auto industry with other domestic industries by saying that, these other industries also face competition. But, are not asking for higher tariffs. So, it is assuming that these other industries have similar mfg processes/supplies/etc. In short, everything is comparable.

We need to negate that. So, option (D), states that the auto industry has to import Mineral/Metal which also attracts import tariff. Hence, making the raw material costly. Thus, they lose the competitive advantage. So, it weakens the author's claim.

Does that make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
The automobile industry in Country A argues that, because foreign automakers underpay workers and get nationally subsidized materials, they can offer artificially low prices. Thus, the industry argues, the current 8 percent tariff on imported products should be increased for automobiles. However, other industries in Country A remain healthy despite competition with imported products without exceptional tariffs. This fact indicates an increased automobile tariff is unnecessary.

in this argument the automobile industry in country A is compared with other industries in the country A.
if we indicate that the condition of automobile industry is different from that of the other industries in country A, then the conclusion will break apart.

D does exactly the same thing. because of the scarcity of mineral and metal resources the automobile industry incur additional costs of importing these resources.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Option D most likely to fit in as it tells us the reason why automobile industry of country A is looking for an increase in tariffs.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Not sure that why A is incorrect. A is bringing out difference in attributes in the automobile industry vis-a-vis other industries. Note that the argument cites "other industries" and the fact that they are doing well amidst similar competitive environment to rebuke the claims of automaker.

But if we successfully highlight that qualities of those two industries are different, then, the claim of automakers is strengthened in so far as the counter comparison made in the argument is weakened.

I don't entirely agree with A being "incorrect". Sure the OA is D, but i don't think A is "incorrect" either.

Request experts to chime in here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
However D doesn't mention anything about the other industries so I don't feel this would be a contender

What do you think AndrewN
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
MPRS22 wrote:
However D doesn't mention anything about the other industries so I don't feel this would be a contender

What do you think AndrewN

Hello, MPRS22. First off, what are you doing day after day practicing these 700-level third-party questions? Stick to official material. Trust me, you are not missing anything that will in and of itself net you a higher score. That said, the keyword here that we need to latch on to from the passage is tariff(s). Note that this word appears within the conclusion of the initial argument—Thus, the industry argues... tariff... should be increased for automobiles—as well as in every line thereafter—exceptional tariffs and automobile tariff. I see above that some people are caught up on (A). But we are not interested in some industries, just in the automobile industry, and we do not care, as far as the argument is concerned, about quality or price. Again, we need to focus on tariffs.

A quick scan of the answer choices reveals that only (D) and (E) center on our keyword, and (E) is easy to see off. Whether other industries have asked for an increase of the 8 [percent] tariff is beside the point. Only (D) puts the two most important pieces of the puzzle together in a compelling way, one that is consistent with the passage: automobile industry + tariffs. I would not think too much more about this one.

I will urge you one final time to work with official questions. Even if you have gone through every single one that has been released, you can learn something by going through them again. Stop focusing on the right answers and understand the wrong ones. By shifting your focus in this way, you can set yourself up for success on anything the GMAT™—not some third-party company that mimics official questions—may throw at you.

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts