Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Theoryx   
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [56]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [15]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [10]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [10]
Send PM
Average Accelerated: Guide to solve Averages Quickly [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Problem 3:

The average weight of 36 students in a class is 62 kgs. If the weight of the teacher is also included the average becomes 62.5 kgs. Find the weight of the teacher.

Sol:

It is clear that if the weight of the teacher is also 62 years, the average of the class including the teacher will remain 62 kgs. But the average is increased by 0.5 kgs upon adding the teacher. So it is clear that the weight of the teacher is more than 62 kgs.

The average is increased by 0.5 kgs upon 37 members (remember it is not 36, but 37) which means the increase in the sum =0.5 x 37 = 18.5 kgs.

So the age of the teacher must be 62+18.5 = 80.5 kgs

THIS QUESTION IS DISCUSSED HERE.

Problem 4:

In a factory the average monthly salary of workers is 550 $ and that of 16 officers is 3000 $. If the average monthly salary of workers and officers combined is 600 $, find the number of workers in the factory.

Sol:

If the average of the 16 officers is also 550$, the combined average would have been the same 550$. But, since the average of the officers is 3000$, which is more by 2450 than what we wanted it to be; the gain in the sum= 2450x16.

This gain of 2450x16 in the sum upon (x+16) members, where x is the number of workers gave an increase of 50$ in the combined average.
i.e. (2450x16)/(x+16) = 50
i.e. (x+16) = (2450x16)/50 = 49x16
i.e. x = 48x16 = 768.
So the total number of workers = 768.

Quickest Way:

Since x number of workers had an average of only 550$ instead of 600$ (combined average), the loss caused by workers = 50xW (were W is the number of workers)

This loss is compensated by 16 officers by having an average of 3000 $ instead of 600$.
The gain given by officers = 2400 x 16.

Hence 50xW = 2400x16 i.e. W = 48x16 = 768.

So folks, with a little bit of practice you can answer these questions very quickly.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Problem 5:

The average of batsmen up to certain number of innings was 45. In the next inning he was out for a duck and his average reduced to 40.5. Find the total number of innings played by him including the latest inning.

Sol:

Again, if the batsmen had scored 45 in his latest inning his average would remain in tact i.e. it would have been 45. But he scored 0 runs.

Since he did not score 45, he lost an average of 4.5 upon the total number of innings, which includes the latest innings as well.

So 45 runs upon x innings will give an average of 4.5

Hence 45/x = 4.5 i.e. x = 10. (Remember, x includes the latest inning as well)

Problem 6:

The average of 8 scores is 87. Of these, the highest is 2 more than the one next in magnitude. If these two scores are eliminated the average of the remaining score is 85. What was the highest score?

Sol:

If the sum of the top two scores taken out is 87+87 i.e. 174, the average of the remaining 6 scores will remain 87.
But, since the average is reduced by 2 upon 6 scores, the sum of the top two scores taken out is 174+12 = 186.
So the top two scores are 94 and 92.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Problem 7:

The average age of a committee of 8 members is 40 years. A member, aged 55 years, retired and he was replaced by a member aged 39 years. The average age of the present committee is?

Sol:

If the age of the new person who is replacing the retired person is also 55 years, the average would remain same i.e. 40 years. But since the age of the new person is 16 years less than that of the retired person, the loss in the sum is 16 years.

This loss of 16 years in the sum will result in a loss of 16/8 = 2 yrs in the average (remember that there is no change in the total strength).

So the present average = 40-2 = 38 yrs.

Problem 8:

The average of marks obtained by 120 candidates in a certain examination is 35. If the average of passed candidates is 39 and that of the failed candidates is 15. The number of candidates who passed the examination is?

Sol:

Folks, look at the relative calculation here.

If we consider that all the 120 candidates passed the examination, the average of the entire class must be 39. But it is given that average of the entire class is 35.

So we are getting an extra of 4 in the average i.e. an extra of 4x120=480 in the total sum.

We got extra total sum because some students who failed were also considered to be passed. For every one student considered as passed who actually failed we get 39-15 = 24 marks extra.

Since we got 480 marks extra, total number of failed students who were considered as passed = 480/24 = 20.

Hence the total number of students who passed = 100

You can solve this by assuming that all the 120 failed the examination but this would take a bit extra time.

Folks, most of the questions solved here can also be solved quickly by using a technique called Alligation. I will soon come up with a tutorial on this topic and I will discuss these questions in that tutorial besides some other questions as well. So stay tuned....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Biotech MC
Schools:Kellogg (R1 Dinged),Cornell (R2), Emory(Interview Scheduled), IESE (R1 Interviewed), ISB (Interviewed), LBS (R2), Vanderbilt (R3 Interviewed)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Re: Average Accelerated: Guide to solve Averages Quickly [#permalink]
Kudos
cicerone wrote:
Problem 5:

The average of batsmen up to certain number of innings was 45. In the next inning he was out for a duck and his average reduced to 40.5. Find the total number of innings played by him including the latest inning.

Sol:

Again, if the batsmen had scored 45 in his latest inning his average would remain in tact i.e. it would have been 45. But he scored 0 runs.

Since he did not score 45, he lost an average of 4.5 upon the total number of innings, which includes the latest innings as well.

Problem 6:

The average of 8 scores is 87. Of these, the highest is 2 more than the one next in magnitude. If these two scores are eliminated the average of the remaining score is 85. What was the highest score?

Sol:

If the sum of the top two scores taken out is 87+87 i.e. 174, the average of the remaining 6 scores will remain 87.
But, since the average is reduced by 2 upon 6 scores, the sum of the top two scores taken out is 174+12 = 186.
So the top two scores are 94 and 92.

Can you please explain how you arrived at 94 and 92
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Biotech MC
Schools:Kellogg (R1 Dinged),Cornell (R2), Emory(Interview Scheduled), IESE (R1 Interviewed), ISB (Interviewed), LBS (R2), Vanderbilt (R3 Interviewed)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Kudos
cicerone wrote:
Problem 7:

The average age of a committee of 8 members is 40 years. A member, aged 55 years, retired and he was replaced by a member aged 39 years. The average age of the present committee is?

Sol:

If the age of the new person who is replacing the retired person is also 55 years, the average would remain same i.e. 40 years. But since the age of the new person is 16 years less than that of the retired person, the loss in the sum is 16 years.

This loss of 16 years in the sum will result in a loss of 16/8 = 2 yrs in the average (remember that there is no change in the total strength).

So the present average = 40-2 = 38 yrs.

Problem 8:

The average of marks obtained by 120 candidates in a certain examination is 35. If the average of passed candidates is 39 and that of the failed candidates is 15. The number of candidates who passed the examination is?

Sol:

Folks, look at the relative calculation here.

If we consider that all the 120 candidates passed the examination, the average of the entire class must be 39. But it is given that average of the entire class is 35.

So we are getting an extra of 4 in the average i.e. an extra of 4x120=480 in the total sum.

We got extra total sum because some students who failed were also considered to be passed. For every one student considered as passed who actually failed we get 39-15 = 24 marks extra.

Since we got 480 marks extra, total number of failed students who were considered as passed = 480/24 = 20.

Hence the total number of students who passed = 100

You can solve this by assuming that all the 120 failed the examination but this would take a bit extra time.

Folks, most of the questions solved here can also be solved quickly by using a technique called Alligation. I will soon come up with a tutorial on this topic and I will discuss these questions in that tutorial besides some other questions as well. So stay tuned....

I guess there is one shorter way as you have already explained in one of the above questions:

Let n=number of passed students, then, 120-n= number of failed students
If Gain in average=Loss of average
=> 4n=(120-n)20
=> n=100

Am I correct?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General
Send PM
Kudos
cicerone wrote:
Problem 5:

Sol:

rahulms wrote:
is there another way to solve the batsman problem? i'm quite confused with this method.

Here you go.

Let us assume that total no. of innings played as x

45(x-1) + 0 = 40.5 x --> 45 is average of (x-1) innings, 40.5 is new average.

4.5x = 45 --> x =10

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Kudos