Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [6] , given: 2

Re: Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2010, 19:30
This post received
KUDOS
MBA programs' average salaries 5 or 10 years after graduation.

http://bwnt.businessweek.com/interactiv ... _pay_2009/
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9434 [1] , given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2010, 19:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Thanks! This is great!

I love that Wharton Salary decreases after 5 years. Now, finance gurus - explain that one to me :lol:
(I am guessing this has to do with the latest Financial industry situation and such, not actual pay decrease but still...)

I am also assuming these are without bonus and other comp, so the Cumulative column is actually incorrect as it is ignoring stock options, bonuses, allowances, etc.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2010, 20:47
The methodology at the bottom says that bonuses are included while stock/options are excluded. It also says the data comes from a big Payscale survey. I hope it's somewhat inaccurate b/c it reports avg starting salaries at both Kelley and Olin at <80,000 while both schools report avg starting salaries over 90,000...and if bonuses are included they should really be six figures.

That begs another question, somewhat off-topic: how accurate are self-reported employment stats from top MBA programs?

If avg salaries and bonuses are actually $10,000-20,000 lower than reported, it would make me feel very uneasy about my MBA pursuit.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 9

Re: Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 00:56
This post received
KUDOS
ksjhawk wrote:
The methodology at the bottom says that bonuses are included while stock/options are excluded. It also says the data comes from a big Payscale survey. I hope it's somewhat inaccurate b/c it reports avg starting salaries at both Kelley and Olin at <80,000 while both schools report avg starting salaries over 90,000...and if bonuses are included they should really be six figures.

That begs another question, somewhat off-topic: how accurate are self-reported employment stats from top MBA programs?

If avg salaries and bonuses are actually $10,000-20,000 lower than reported, it would make me feel very uneasy about my MBA pursuit.

ksjhawk, don't forget these are median figures on the list, so be careful when comparing with averages. there can be a significant difference, especially with bonuses included. large cash bonuses might only apply to say a third of all grads (roughly those in finance), which have a huge impact on average but no impact at all on median (assuming they are the highest earners anyway).

great post though, would love to see similar for international schools.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kelley
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 4

Re: Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 06:42
This post received
KUDOS
Sort this list by career-pay ranking, and the biggest dissonance among all shools has to be @ Kelley. The gap between program ranking and career pay ranking is 23 places apart!! What gives?

The only other school with any notable disconnect is Yale (which has a spread of 9), but in a good way - they get paid better than they are ranked. (The school reputation helps the program I guess)

Last edited by junker on 15 Feb 2010, 06:51, edited 3 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 9

Re: Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 07:01
This post received
KUDOS
Good list.. However, makes me question going to a B school and spending 3 years ( PT ), spending almost 100 G's and then ending up making a few G's more than what I currently am. I was hoping that the 5 year salary should ( would ) cross 130's especially for the 1st 15 schools.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kelley

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 4

Re: Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 07:48
This post received
KUDOS
Extactly my point. I've been struggling with this for couple of months now.

I think I have a shot at both Booth and Kelloggs (only PT, not FT though). It'd require me to drive 200 miles to Chicago every weekend for 3 years, spend 50K+ out of pocket (rest employer pays). And really whats the outcome?

I know three guys from where I work, who graduated from Booth (PT) in 2007:
One got into a consulting firm, moved to Texas, got laid off, and is back as an Engineer at one of our factories.
Second guy got hired into a top position in a small technology company, got laid off, unemployed - is now running his own "strategy consulting".
Third guy is a risk analyst with a small hedge fund company.

Not a stellar show so far..... Either FT guys have way more advantage than PTimers, or things are not as rosy as these private B Schools make it seem.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [2] , given: 5

Re: Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 09:21
This post received
KUDOS
For the FT programs, it really makes one wonder if it's worth it. Let's say you make $90k now. That's 2x$90k + $100k for two years of MBA = $280k opportunity cost of attending.

Let's say that your current salary follows the path of going to Emory (starting salary of $89.5k). This would mean you'd end up with $2,564,980 in lifetime earnings. If you add that opportunity cost of $280k, you are now at $2.8 mil in earnings without accounting for the growth of the $280k. With 5% growth on $280k over 20 yrs, you have $740k. So 2.56 mil + $740k = $3.3 mil. This means that only Harvard, Stanford, Wharton and Columbia would be "worth" attending.

Of course, all of this discounts the great people you'll meet and the great time you'll have as an MBA. Also, my analysis doesn't include stock and options compensation which might increase by doing an MBA. Still though, the opportunity cost weighs heavily when deciding whether to do an MBA.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation in Heath managem [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 09:34
Hi All,

I'm interested in getting a MBA degree in the field of health management. What's the salary structure like and what are its advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks,
Priya
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 3

Re: Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 09:57
This post received
KUDOS
This is great!....but equally very concerning! I agree with ksjhawk and junker that the Kelley stats are worrisome!!! I think the program is stellar and truly belongs where it's at on the BW rankings but the pay prospects aren't as commanding. Thanks vgeri for your "consoling" words (and I seriously hope your analysis is on point) but oh-my, does this make me think...

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [1] , given: 6

Re: Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 10:06
This post received
KUDOS
junker wrote:
I know three guys from where I work, who graduated from Booth (PT) in 2007:

Graduating 2007 and 2008 were probably the worst times to come out of school. At least with 2009 when you got a job (the tricky part) you were probably good. I know a bunch of 2008 Grads who switched careers and got laid off within a year through no fault of their own. Sucks.

I have never really bought the MBA RoI calculations, as you generally have to consider yourself a non-mean candidate to get a good RoI. The MBA is more to actually try and end up with a career where you are able to make decisions that keep you happy, rather than being tied in to other things. It should allow you a shot at switching later in your career through built respect and network and instill a level of confidence.

Earning $200k a year isn't exactly mission impossible without an MBA. Earning it in a fashion that you like will probably be somewhat trickier.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 11:16
Just curious, is Tepper really that good? They seem to consistently command high salaries relative to thier ranking? What are especially good at? Any takes?

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 5

Re: Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 11:31
This post received
KUDOS
I hear they are strong in technology and IT - it most likely carries over from their engineering and science reputation. I had a coworker who was a pilot and a systems engineer for 10 yrs before attending Tepper.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 3

Re: Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 13:18
This post received
KUDOS
johnnymac wrote:
I hear they are strong in technology and IT - it most likely carries over from their engineering and science reputation. I had a coworker who was a pilot and a systems engineer for 10 yrs before attending Tepper.

Thanxz jonnymac. Makes perfect sense why the ave salaries are that high. It's totally reasonable to assume that your pilot/engineer friend must have left a good paying job and got into something even better post-Tepper.

Any more thoughts, anyone?

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 5

Re: Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 14:03
This post received
KUDOS
tepper also has a reputation for providing strong candidates to quant trading desks. so a lot of them end up on quant desks at huge banks such as goldman, ms, jpm, etc. and of course not to mention the quant oriented hf's and prop shops. these guys really pull the avg up.

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 17

Re: Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 14:33
This post received
KUDOS
I thought really carefully about giving up Tepper because there are many alumni (that my parents know personally) in places like Goldman Sachs etc.. Also, I work with PNC Bank, which is head quartered in P-burgh. One of my favourite boutique law firms that I'm really good friends with represent them and actually emailed my resume to a senior somebody Tepper grad when I told them I got into Tepper and he was incredibly excited and nice about helping me (dunno how he's going to feel now!).

At this point I'm committed to Ross because I couldn't ignore the fact that their alumni base is huge and they're consistently ranked very high, but I thought long and hard about giving up on CMU. Fortunately, my OTHER favourite law firm's head partner has a daughter that attended Ross so I have access to more alumni that seem invested in helping me :).

Having visited CMU, I'd like to add that they were hands down the nicest, most down-to-earth b-schoolers I interacted with when I was flying around interviewing and visiting at schools. The only school I didn't get a real "sense" at was Ross and that's because their VIP program starts at 8:30 a.m. or something and I was flying in from Cali (with a sinus infection as added bonus). At CMU you get an Admissions counselor interview and their whole day program is very professional (bonus: they're the only other school other than Booth that provided lunch). Contrast this to another school where our student guide for the day didn't even show up (am not going to name names) and the Admissions office let us sit in the room for an hour or so and were fairly unhelpful (and when I was outside waiting for my taxi I had to listen to a bunch of 20-somethings have an argument about whether not cocaine was worth it!).

Overall, I came away impressed with CMU's program and the students and I'm not at all surprised they're doing well. I chose Ross because I wanted to keep the consulting door open (even though I'm scared of airplanes). Had I gone to CMU, I would have committed to finance as I think that and Information Systems and Operations is their strong suit.
Manager
Manager

Re: Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 14:50
muffeebrown wrote:

Overall, I came away impressed with CMU's program and the students and I'm not at all surprised they're doing well. I chose Ross because I wanted to keep the consulting door open (even though I'm scared of airplanes). Had I gone to CMU, I would have committed to finance as I think that and Information Systems and Operations is their strong suit.

Thanxz muffeebrown for your detailed explanations. Clearly no regrets on my end for not applying to Tepper as I'd like to get into GM/Strategy from a consulting angle (not sure I'd like the consulting lifestyle tho 8-) ).

Manager
Manager

Re: Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 14:56
muffeebrown, given your extensive MBA alumni network :-D , are you friends with a Kelley alumni? What are they saying about the strengths of the Kelley program/brand?

Any thoughts, anyone?

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 17

Re: Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 15:12
This post received
KUDOS
Case2010 wrote:
muffeebrown, given your extensive MBA alumni network :-D , are you friends with a Kelley alumni? What are they saying about the strengths of the Kelley program/brand?

Any thoughts, anyone?

Ha! I think the only reason I know so many MBAs and doctors is that my parents are Indian and they're very popular educational options for Indians, obviously. That said, I don't necessarily know how happy I would be about approaching any of them for help unless they're alumni (from whatever school I choose), mainly because it makes me slightly uncomfortable that my parents' friends would know so much about me. Also, I found in law school that the whole South Asian network was on the unhelpful and downright cruel side of things and I'm kind of burned (example, Georgetown law grad my parents insist I suck up to before I went to school tells me that 99% of people fail at law school, that I was doomed to be a failure and not to bother. No such thing occurs and I am productively employed prior to graduation. I proceed to develop life-long grudge and remind my parents of this incident anytime they bring up networking with any of their friends/friends' kids).

Alas, I don't know any Indiana Kelley alumni.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2010, 12:10
This post received
KUDOS
johnnymac wrote:
For the FT programs, it really makes one wonder if it's worth it. Let's say you make $90k now. That's 2x$90k + $100k for two years of MBA = $280k opportunity cost of attending.

Let's say that your current salary follows the path of going to Emory (starting salary of $89.5k). This would mean you'd end up with $2,564,980 in lifetime earnings. If you add that opportunity cost of $280k, you are now at $2.8 mil in earnings without accounting for the growth of the $280k. With 5% growth on $280k over 20 yrs, you have $740k. So 2.56 mil + $740k = $3.3 mil. This means that only Harvard, Stanford, Wharton and Columbia would be "worth" attending.

Of course, all of this discounts the great people you'll meet and the great time you'll have as an MBA. Also, my analysis doesn't include stock and options compensation which might increase by doing an MBA. Still though, the opportunity cost weighs heavily when deciding whether to do an MBA.

I did the math awhile back, and it takes 10-15 years to hit the break even point for an MBA, at which point your work experience should outweigh the degree when it comes to hiring anyways. The $100K in tuition is also post-tax, so it's really equivalent to $170K in earnings, making the equation even worse. *sigh*
Re: Average MBA Salaries Years After Graduation   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2010, 12:10