Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Aviation officials have not only failed to determine the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Aviation officials have not only failed to determine the [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2005, 18:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Aviation officials have not only failed to determine the cause of the crash, but they have also ignored demands by the pilots union that the investigation should be expedited.
(A) crash, but they have also ignored demands by the pilots union that the investigation should be expedited
(B) crash but also ignored demands by the pilots union that the investigation be expedited
(C) crash but have ignored demands for expediting the investigation by the pilots’ union
(D) crash, but they are also ignoring the pilots’ union’s demands to expedite the investigation
(E) crash: the demands by the pilots’ union that the investigation should be expedited have also been ignored

Please explain your answer in detail.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2005, 19:11
"B".

Between A and B, I choose "B". not only...but also idiom needed and B is more concise than A.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2005, 20:46
(B)
not only ... but also is right
omitting "should" after demand is right
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2005, 23:33
Can one of you explain why A) is wrong?

Aviation officials have not only failed to determine the cause of the crash, but they have also ignored demands by the pilots union that the investigation should be expedited.

I had picked A, for it seemed to be more parallel. Is the use of not only but __ also in A wrong?
Would love to see some explanations about this!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2005, 16:58
nocilis! Yes the Usage of "not only.. but also" in (A) is wrong...

look choice (B) more closely.. It maintains correct parallelism..
Aviation authority have not only failed.... but also ignored....

One more interesting thing to note in this sentence is that second clause (but also..) is in "SUBJUNCTIVE MOOD."
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

Re: ! [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2005, 17:04
nocilis wrote:
Can one of you explain why A) is wrong?

I had picked A, for it seemed to be more parallel. Is the use of not only but __ also in A wrong?
Would love to see some explanations about this!

B is most concise and parallel:
Aviation officials have
not only
1- failed to determine the cause of the crash
but also
2- ignored demands by the pilots union that the investigation be expedited

As you can see, "have" applies to both participial phrases and does not need to be repeated as in (A).

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2005, 17:12
I guess no one has noticed the use of [size=18]Subjunctive[/size] here. Well B is best and I would say the only and only reason is subjunctive---which makes the Option B more concise and clearer than A.

Opps I just noticed that ppl have made some reasoning about Subjunctive. Well that I am in for subjunctive.

Saurabh Malpani
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2005, 18:10
another way of seeing it: "not only... but also" is the correct idiom here. (B) is my choice.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2005, 21:10
I don't think it has anything to do with subjunctive mood. Paul's explanation is correct.

It's not correct to say: He has not only done this, but also he had done that.
Correct way is: He has not only done this, but also done that.
Or: Not only has he done this, but also he has done that.

(Paul, please check if my last one is right. :))
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2007, 09:08
HongHu wrote:
I don't think it has anything to do with subjunctive mood. Paul's explanation is correct.

It's not correct to say: He has not only done this, but also he had done that.
Correct way is: He has not only done this, but also done that.
Or: Not only has he done this, but also he has done that.

(Paul, please check if my last one is right. :))

I concur. In this forum, we use subjunctive mood as an explanation even though it is entirely inappropriate.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 4

Re: SC-Aviation officials [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2007, 10:03
nocilis wrote:
(A) crash, but they have also ignored demands by the pilots union that the investigation should be expedited
The idiom is not only X but also Y. Shared subject and auxiliary verb.

(B) crash but also ignored demands by the pilots union that the investigation be expedited

(C) crash but have ignored demands for expediting the investigation by the pilots' union
The idiom is not only X but also Y.

(D) crash, but they are also ignoring the pilots’ union’s demands to expedite the investigation
[b]The idiom is not only X but also Y. Shared subject and auxiliary verb.

(E) crash: the demands by the pilots’ union that the investigation should be expedited have also been ignored
The idiom is not only X but also Y.

Paul wrote:
B is most concise and parallel:
Aviation officials have
[b]not only
1- failed to determine the cause of the crash
but also
2- ignored demands by the pilots union that the investigation be expedited

As you can see, "have" applies to both participial phrases and does not need to be repeated as in (A).

:lol:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 21:18
This post received
KUDOS
Although it might not really apply....I had rejected A and B initially because of "pilots union"

I thought it should be "pilots' union"

Any thoughts on that?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-Aviation officials [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 00:06
nocilis wrote:
(C) crash but have ignored demands for expediting the investigation by the pilots’ union

Please explain your answer in detail.

B. Not only X but also Y needs to be ||. since after not only is the past tense verb failed another past tense verb after the also must follow and nothing inbetween. so B is the only choice.

B also uses the subjunctive properly that... be. and is not confusing.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-Aviation officials [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 09:04
About the pilots versus pilots' issue.

"Pilots" seems to be correct. I'm not sure why in terms of grammar, but if you look around, you will notice that it is true by convention.

For example, their official website is titled, Freelancers Union. Also, Teamsters Union comes to mind. Maybe it means, union of freelancers, instead of union (owned by) freelancers, or freelancers'.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-Aviation officials [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 09:07
reading word 'demand's tell me go subjunctive. 'Not only' goes well with 'but also'
B.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-Aviation officials [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 11:13
Idiom Usage: not only X but also Y
(A) crash, but they have also ignored demands by the pilots union that the investigation should be expedited [not only failed … but they – unidiomatic – eliminate it]
(B) crash but also ignored demands by the pilots union that the investigation be expedited [Hold it]
(C) crash but have ignored demands for expediting the investigation by the pilots’ union [[not only failed … but have ignored – unidiomatic – eliminate it]
(D) crash, but they are also ignoring the pilots’ union’s demands to expedite the investigation [not only failed … but– unidiomatic – eliminate it]
(E) crash: the demands by the pilots’ union that the investigation should be expedited have also been ignored [Incorrect “:” usage – eliminate it]
Re: SC-Aviation officials   [#permalink] 22 May 2008, 11:13