Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 23:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Avoid last minute stress!!! Be on the safe side!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business
Schools: HEC '15
GMAT 1: 420 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [3] , given: 2

Avoid last minute stress!!! Be on the safe side! [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 18:23
This post received
KUDOS
My story:

I had to take the test in another country (I live in Europe) because everything was closed in my country at the time I wanted to take the test.
The evening before the test just as I was about to plan my journey my internet connection stopped working. So I had to get the address of the test center from a friend.

I also realized that there were still 500 math questions and 2 practice test I would have liked to do but it was obviously too late. Not a nice feeling..

On the morning just before leaving home I decide to take a bigger bag and start moving my stuff from the smaller to the bigger bag, almost forgetting to move my money and passport that were hidden in a small sidebag in the smaller bag....

Then I take the train and arrive in the city where I will take the test. One of the most stupid decisions of my life, I decide to go there by public transport instead of by taxi.

Anyway, I arrive in the street of the test center 30 min early, quite proud of myself. Had I not taken the right subway and bus in a city I had never been to before with the help of a map received at the train station?

I'd noted the test center's address on my mobile phone.

What I didn't know then, was that I had accidentally erased part of the address because I had been nervously fondling with my phone. I had a feeling that there must be something wrong with the address. I had also noted the address on a piece of paper in my bag, but the stress made me forget that completely. So I was on this big street and actually looking for the wrong address with the clock ticking away.................

If it hadn't been for 2 great!! guys with internet connection on their phones (unlike mine) whom I asked for directions and who helped me realize my mistake I would have missed the exam.

But even with the right address buildings in the street were not clearly numbered and people I asked in the street could not help me out and most of them did not speak English. With the help of a kind man who actually walked a bit with me I found the right building literally right on time. Wanting to prove to myself that I can find my way around in a foreign city under time pressure almost made me miss my appointment. I didn't even have the phone number of the test center with me.

Looking back I think stress and fatige made me hyperventilate and act in an irrational way. I realize now how lucky I was on test day.

Prepare well and well ahead.
Avoid preparing things in the last minute as printers and computers really are unpredictable.
Don't underestimate the psychological burden of test day and take any kind of stupid chances!
Be it travelling to the test center or other.
Your head will be full of Gmat stuff and you will not be able to concentrate 100% on other important things!

Our constraints are what define us. Work hard and never give up.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 80

Kudos [?]: 454 [1] , given: 423

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Avoid last minute stress!!! Be on the safe side! [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 20:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Wow, there sure were a lot of pitfalls during your search for the test center! Although I hope the test itself turned out okay, I wouldn't be surprised if the pre-test experience adversely affected your score to some degree.

With that said, your experience should be very helpful to others. Thanks for sharing!

And for anyone further interested in this topic, please see here:

gmat-anxiety-99374.html
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business
Schools: HEC '15
GMAT 1: 420 Q V

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 2

Re: Avoid last minute stress!!! Be on the safe side! [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 21:19
This post received
KUDOS
I'm glad that you found it helpful, bmillan 01, and were not bored by my Mr.Bean-like story.

Yes, I hope that my post will help some people. I guess it sounds like I am a really chaotic person, but actually I am not and I took the GMAT very seriously.. it's just that the stress and pressure can make make "normal" things go more often wrong than they usually do and then you badly need luck on your side ..

As you say, it surely affected my score, even though I managed to calm down a bit during AWA. Anyway, this forum helped me a lot and I am glad I can now be helpful to others here too.

Our constraints are what define us. Work hard and never give up.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Avoid last minute stress!!! Be on the safe side! [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 01:38
Thanks for the advice. Sometimes doing things at the last minute creates unnecessary stresses and worry for all of us.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

Re: Avoid last minute stress!!! Be on the safe side! [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 23:20
thanks for your great advice to tackle the stress on the G-day

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 85

Re: Avoid last minute stress!!! Be on the safe side! [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 07:45
Had a similar experience, I'm in Europe too. My setback was the fact that the test center managers were late!!
Everything turned out fine in the end.

Thank you for your advice, stress it's such a huge factor on the GMAT.

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 553 [0], given: 5

Re: Avoid last minute stress!!! Be on the safe side! [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 08:56
Expert's post
Great notes. Exam day anxiety is a big thing, add on logistics and bathroom concerns and a lot of things can go wrong on exam day. Try to keep a morning routine in the prior days to the exam similar to what you'll do on the actual exam. The time you'll stay at the exam center will be over 3 hours...so try not to eat anything early in the morning that will upset your stomach. Try to only drink water or soda (drinks with glucose so you have energy for your brain) and leave the large meals or snacks for after the exam.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Avoid last minute stress!!! Be on the safe side! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 07:15
this is a great post thanks
Re: Avoid last minute stress!!! Be on the safe side!   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2012, 07:15