Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:46 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: AWA Feedback: Rhyme & Others... [#permalink]
haas_mba07 wrote:
The following appeared in a magazine article on trends and lifestyles.

"In general, people are not as concerned as they were a decade ago about regulating their intake of red meat and fatty cheeses. Walk into the Heart's Delight, a store that started selling organic fruits and vegetables and whole-grain flours in the 1960's, and you will also find a wide selection of cheeses made with high butterfat content. Next door, the owners of the Good Earth Café, an old vegetarian restaurant, are still making a modest living, but the owners of the new House of Beef across the street are millionaires."

[b]Essay:
Quote:
The argument presented in the magazine is neither well reasoned nor persuasive. The article takes data which by itself does not indicate the conclusion drawn by the article and presents it without any supporting evidence. There are quite a few reasons why the argument presented is not valid. The important reasons are outlined below.

A good start, but a bit akward and repetitive. Sentence one says the argument is not persuasive. Sentence two elaborates a bit, but not much. Sentence three just says there are many reasons, but doesn't list any. Sentence four tells the reader to look below, which is obvious. Sentence 2 is also a bit wordy "indicate the conclusion" .... why not just shorten this to "The article presents data which does not support it's conclusion." Clear, concise.

This might be a better start:

Keep sentence 1. Rephrase sentence 2. Then briefly outline what some of the holes are - I havent yet read your entire essay, so I'm guessing here, but: "The author fails to tie provide sufficient statistical evidence, presents dubious assumptions, and .... "

Quote:
The first reason why I belive that this argument is not valid, is the use of data which byitself is presented without any comparative analysis and correlation with the current lifestyles of the consumers.

Great sentence, I just hate anything that starts with "First" or "First and foremost" or whatever. Just say "One of the primary reasons" instead. It's so much stronger.

Quote:
For example, the data presented regarding the Heart's Delight store may seem to justify the conclusion drawn. However, the fact that a wide selection of cheeses made with high butterfat content are available at the store, does not by any mean provide a causal relationship to the conclusion drawn.

Good start, lets see if you back it up.

Quote:
The Heart's Delight store is a organic store and cheeses if made from organic sources are bound to contain materials which are not processed and therefore more richer. This by no means indicates that today's consumers are less concerned about the intake of fatty cheeses. To draw the conclusion that the article draws based on this data, additional information regarding the selection of wares stacked in the same store a decade ago, has to be presented.

You do. Nice. But... maybe explain how the selection of wares would matter. What if the selection had been the same? What would that really mean?

Quote:
The argument presented would be more persuasive if it also contains data regarding the change in the lifestyles of consumers from a decade ago. This would mean data regarding the exercise routines, awareness about the deleterious affects of a high-fat diet and other relevant factors which may offset the affects of their intake habits.

Just watch the tenses here. presented/contains. Your throwing out big words and complex thoughts, don't get dinged on something this simple. Your essay is also the only one I've seen that reeks of thesauras land. I'm not saying thats bad, but I'd be careful using esoteric terms like deleterious. Remember that a computer grades these. I doubt it has deleterious in it's vocabulary. There's a good chance your human grader wont too.

Quote:
The second data point that the author/authors present in the article relates to the success of the owners of the House of Beef restaurant as compared to the owners of the Good Earth Cafe. This data absolutely does not have any bearing on the conclusion drawn without additional information pertaining to the change in the number of customers of each restaurant over the last decade.

Yea, good point, I know what you mean by this - but spell it out for the reader. WHY does the change in customers matter? Cause, if the number of customers didn't change over the last decade, then, probably, people never cared about high fat content. Also, dont start with second data point, its weak. "The author also argues..." And definetly dont do the whole "author/authors" thing. Just assume the thing has one author.

Quote:
Even if that information is provided, it only strengthens the conclusion that the article draws and does not provide the complete picture.

Careful here. It doesnt necessarily strengthen the argument. It MIGHT, if the data shows a significant change in #s, but if not, it weakens it. If you spell it out, the reader isn't left wondering if you really "get it" - and you avoid making a blanket statement like the one you did. But again, be sure to explain WHY the ASSUMPTION is flawed, and HOW the data could be interepred to STRENGTHEN or WEAKEN.

Quote:
There could be miriad of reasons why one restaurant is successful while the other is not. It could be due to a new fad in diets such as the Atkins diet, which leads to financial success for the owners. It could also be due to the drop in the quality in the food wares at the Good Earth Cafe. In short, unless clear data is presented to support the data regarding the two restaurants the article has no means to draw the conclusion relating to the change in the diet habits from a decade ago.

You explain whats wrong with the assumption, but you never explain how "more data" would help!!!

Again, you end with a generic statement about data. What does that last sentence really add to your point? Unless you tell me more about the two restaurants, the article cannot draw the conclusion that X... What kind of data? If the data said X, what would that mean? If the data said Y? Would that strengthen or weaken? What if the data said that Atkins related books have increased 10 fold in the last decade? Here, you want to focus on specifics (like you did, just dont ruin it with a weak ending!).

Wordy again too. "Clear data is presented ..... to support the data .... " A lot of your sentences run on.. and on... and on... re-read that last sentence, it just keeps going and going and going... It's the energizer bunny.

Why not just: "Lacking additional statistical evidence to support the argument that diet habits have changed over the last decade, the author fails to substantiate his conclusion."

Quote:
In summary I do not find the argument present persuasive and well reasoned. The article draws conclusions from data, which without additional supporting information are simply isolated facts. Therefore the author needs to provide more data and present the connecting bridges for the facts to reason out the argument.

Data. Again. Find another word.... seems like every other sentence has the word data in it. It's a reasonable ending, but again, I find that your essay lacks punch. You seem to dodge around a lot of the points, get right on the brink of making them, and stop just short of actually finishing the thought. You clearly understand hte problems with the argument, but you never really seem flush them out. A lot of your sentences are variations of one another:

The article takes data which by itself does not indicate the conclusion drawn by the article and presents it without any supporting evidence.

The first reason why I belive that this argument is not valid, is the use of data which byitself is presented without any comparative analysis and correlation with the current lifestyles of the consumers.

For example, the data presented regarding the Heart's Delight store may seem to justify the conclusion drawn.

In short, unless clear data is presented to support the data regarding the two restaurants the article has no means to draw the conclusion relating to the change in the diet habits from a decade ago.

The article draws conclusions from data, which without additional supporting information are simply isolated facts.

Therefore the author needs to provide more data and present the connecting bridges for the facts to reason out the argument.

These are all pretty generic statements --- how do they differ from each other? How do they add to your overall argument? It's like a dozen mini conclusions.

Focus more on specifics - like you did with your other "data" sentences (just use other words other than data) -- those were strong - i.e. "This data absolutely does not have any bearing on the conclusion drawn without additional information pertaining to the change in the number of customers of each restaurant over the last decade."

but again, even with these, explain both WHY the data presented is invalid, and also HOW the additional information would shape your decision.

Overall, I still think this is a great effort. You've clearly got the skills to write the 6.0 essay, I think you just need to 'beef up' the style a bit and bring your points home for the reader. Remember, a computer is reading this. So is some $5/hr substitute third rate english teacher from the bronx. You get it, but make sure the reader gets what you get.

I think this is still a 5.0 essay - just needs some polishing.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Also, did you wnat me to look at the other one too?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]