Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 08:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

AWA score, AWA importance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 18

AWA score, AWA importance [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 04:03
Hi,

I would like to ask you whether 5 Points on AWA is a "good" poerformance a what weight put the universities on this part of the GMAT?

I know that 5 points correspond to 56 percentil. Athough may performance on the verbal part (SC, CR, RC)was really very bad, I had the feeling that AWA is not so difficult. Maybe, it depends on the questions you get. In the part "analysis of issue", I had a problem to find good reasons on which to base my opinion. Therefore, I wrote a little bit more abstract essay. (However, well structured - in my opinion at least.) Despite, I got 5 points.
Do you think can I "easily" improve to 5.5 or 6 points by mentioning better examples, using more complex grammar and writing a little bit more?
Do you think, will a university "appreciate" higher AWA score or is it absolutely meaningless? (especially for PhD program)

Thanks a lot for you answers (I would like to get some feeling about the importance of this GMAT part)

Rag
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 195 [1] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: AWA score, AWA importance [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 06:32
This post received
KUDOS
Most schools will tell you they want to see at least a 5
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 118 [1] , given: 4

Premium Member
Re: AWA score, AWA importance [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 07:36
This post received
KUDOS
I've always heard a 5.0 or higher is good enough. I would think that since the AWA is obviously not adaptive and doesn't include many sample points, it would be hard to draw much of a conclusion of someone's performance based on it. The distinction from a 5.0 to a 5.5 to a 6.0 has to be pretty minimal.

I think the only time an AWA would come back to hurt you is if you got a 3.0 and had very smooth, well-written essays on your application--the adcom might infer that those essays weren't necessarily your own work.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 211 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: AWA score, AWA importance [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 15:02
This post received
KUDOS
l wouldn't worry too much about a 5. Anything below would probably cause a red flag though. Just make sure that your essays to b-schools are nothing less than stellar.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 481 [1] , given: 432

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: AWA score, AWA importance [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 15:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Admissions will be more interested in the verbal score and application essays. A low AWA performance, though, can hurt applicants' chances. However, this doesn't apply to you; a score of 5.0 on the AWA is good enough.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: AWA score, AWA importance   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2011, 15:25