Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 23:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Awefully Low GPA and MBA. Please help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Awefully Low GPA and MBA. Please help [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 02:30
I graduated in 2010 with an awfully low CGPA in my undergrad (2.26/4). I had been carrying epilepsy in my undergrad and wasn't on permanent medication back then. I am on daily medication, doing fine now and have almost 2 years of job experience with a consulting firm. I am currently looking to work on my MBA applications. I haven't taken the GMAT yet but I'm worried that even if i score good on my GMAT, my low undergrad GPA would be a big hindrance in getting me into a good business school. Every university I look into requires a minimum of 3.0 GPA.

I am considering doing a one year MSc from University of Glassgow or University Of Essex, ace it and then apply for an MBA. The question is does acing Msc increase my chance of getting into a respectable B school?

Please help me.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 605 [0], given: 114

Re: Awefully Low GPA and MBA. Please help [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 20:39
Well most schools I've seen don't technically "require" a certain GPA, but if the schools you are researching do, I would contact the school directly to see if there is wiggle room with the policy. If there is wiggle room, or your school doesn't have a minimum requirement, I would start putting together an "alternate transcript". This would mean that you should take some business type classes at a local college, junior college, or internet classes with a top school, and make sure to get A's! Starting to put together a 3-4 classes like this will shows that you can handle the riggors of classes, and your low GPA will continue to fade into the background.

Classes would include Statistics, Accounting, Economics, Calculus, etc...

Then in your essays I would talk about your disorder, or challenges you've faced, and how that attributed to your GPA. And then show what you've learned from that, and how you're challenges will help you face your future challenges in business school.

A top score GMAT wouldn't hurt! :)

Good luck

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Awefully Low GPA and MBA. Please help   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2012, 20:39