Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 00:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Azor Language Institute has the interests of its students at

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Azor Language Institute has the interests of its students at [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2005, 21:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Azor Language Institute has the interests of its students at heart. They could charge you a fortune for a short, two-week class that promises to teach you everything about a language. But ALI prefers a more thoughtful, realistic approach. They know that anything learned in a hurry is never really learned. The Azor Language Institute is not like other high-priced language courses. It actually teaches you something for your money. The price you pay is for personal, individual care, long-term use of teaching materials--in short, the components that comprise a quality education.
This advertisement is designed to convince the reader of which of the following?
(A) Taking an ALI language course will enable you to learn everything about a language.
(B) Money is no object where education is concerned.
(C) Other language courses are inadequate to teach you a foreign language.
(D) Paying more for a language course is always a guarantee that you'll receive a higher-level education.
(E) Azor Language Institute has more convenient locations than any of its competitors.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2005, 21:23
i could not go beyond A. However it also talks about other languages. But i stick with A.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Azor Language Institute [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2005, 21:23
Hmm a very interesting question. :)

(A) Taking an ALI language course will enable you to learn everything about a language.
It doesn't promise this. It actually implies anybody claims this is actually trying to mislead you.

(B) Money is no object where education is concerned.
Well I get the feeling they are charge a high price too. So they mustn't be saying that they don't care about money.

(C) Other language courses are inadequate to teach you a foreign language.
I believe this is what they are trying to say. Other courses charge a high price but don't care if you'll forget everything later. The only thing is in the ad it didn't accuse all of the other language courses. It says other courses that charge a high price ...

(D) Paying more for a language course is always a guarantee that you'll receive a higher-level education.
Don't think so. It says if you pay a high price at other courses you'll actually not get much.

(E) Azor Language Institute has more convenient locations than any of its competitors.
Locations? Where did it talk about locations?

So I guess I would have chosen (C).
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2005, 21:29
HongHu.....I scan for your solution for any problem :-) But for this question I thought I would go with B
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2005, 06:14
I would go for (A).

I think the argument is not talking about money at all. The whole paragraph makes me believe that ALI gives more for the money. It is focussing more on detailed teaching rathern than fast track teaching. Hence it makes me believe that the student learn more. Hence one should go for ALI.

Also choice (A) is saying will enable ( does not mean will teach ).
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2005, 18:21
hmm, various answer...
I will wait for little longer.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2005, 20:29
"B"....bad choices...."C" talks abt foreign languages, nowhere we r talking abt foreign, it can be native. "A" is a claim stem doesn't make anywhere, it says it abt other courses, but for theirs. D and E r out of scope.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2005, 23:28
The stimulus mentions that 'it actually teaches you somehting for you money...' so (A) is out since it says it enables you to 'learn everything'

(B) is not suggested by the argument. It suggests ALI provides value for money service and nothing else.

(D) contradicts ALI's policy, since it mentions earlier in the passage that other institutes charges a high fee as well.

(E) is out of scope.

(C) is the best choice. It suggests in the passage that 'anything learned in a hurry is never really learned' and since ALI allows you access to the teaching materials for a long-term, it is therfore the best way to learn.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 09:13
I am with HongHu on this C it is. I think A is bit extreme and I don't think that is what the ad is conveying

Praveen

SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 09:26
banerjeea_98 wrote:
"C" talks abt foreign languages, nowhere we r talking abt foreign, it can be native.

That is a good point. My second choice would have to be B. "money is no object" means it doesn't matter how much it costs. In other words, the ad is trying to convey that the other things are more important, which ALI provides, while you shouldn't be concerned about how much you have to pay for its course.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 09:54
"It actually teaches you something for your money. The price you pay is for personal, individual care, long-term use of teaching materials--in short, the components that comprise a quality education. "

it actually talked about money.

So, I go with C.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 11:20
qh what is the source of this question - I encountered this in one of the practice exams.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 12:05
OA is (C) guys. This question is from Kaplan test.
How to best refute (A) and (B) here???
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 12:11
qhoc0010 wrote:

Disagree with the OA, we can't assume that stem talks abt foreign languages. No wonder it is from Kaplan. :-D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 13:13
I think C. Considering the rest of the choices, C is better. Other choices are extreme, out of scope or distorts what is said in the stem. The objectionable entity ' foriegn language' is less offensive, after all one would consider a language institute to learn a non native/foriegn tongue/language. Not all that bad that one should categorically reject it considering the rest of the choices.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 13:24
banerjeea_98 wrote:
qhoc0010 wrote:

Disagree with the OA, we can't assume that stem talks abt foreign languages. No wonder it is from Kaplan. :-D

I agree with you.
I have some questions, however. Look at the stem:

Azor Language Institute has the interests of its students at heart. They could charge you a fortune for a short, two-week class that promises to teach you everything about a language.

What does "they" refer to?
Isn't the underline in (A)?
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 13:25
prep_gmat wrote:
I think C. Considering the rest of the choices, C is better. Other choices are extreme, out of scope or distorts what is said in the stem. The objectionable entity ' foriegn language' is less offensive, after all one would consider a language institute to learn a non native/foriegn tongue/language. Not all that bad that one should categorically reject it considering the rest of the choices.

That is a good point too. :) It also helps if you could really think in the advertisers shoes. What are they really trying to convey? I think they would not want to emphasis the money aspect (because their program is also expensive, most likely), but they want to contrast ALI from the others, saying that the others don't teach you much but ALI do.

Last edited by HongHu on 02 Mar 2005, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 13:44
HongHu wrote:
That is a good point too. :) It also helps if you could really think in the advertisers shoes. What are they really trying to convey? I think they would not want to emphasis the money aspect (because their program is also expensive, most likely), but they want to contrast ALI from the others, saying that the others don't teach you much but ALI do.

Well, I agree that these ppl trying to say that they r better than the rest. However, unlike SCs problems, where u r supposed to pick the choice that stinks the least, CRs r supposed to be bullet proof. A conclusion question shud not contain an inherent assumption in it, atleast that's what I think.

Now talking abt the part that qhoc pointed out, "they" means ALI and all they r saying that they will take ur money but not hurry the course. In other words u can also conclude that for them "Making money in name of education" is not the first priority. I chose "B", becose it seemed logical that they r trying to convey that "Money is not a priority to them, but education is". Overall a usual bad ques from Kaplan :-D. Although I haven't done any OG, but I am sure one will not be able to argue with their CRs. I suggest, we move on from this ques. :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 13:56
I definitely agree C is wrong but i think A and B are possibly at par with each other but B seems to lack a certain amount of substance. Like mentioned earlier if we put ourself in the advertisers shoes, after printing an add this long if your objective is to say "money is no object" then you gotta be a moron cause it could have been said more concisely (and probably saved advertising money)
I choose A because it would seem that if you are trying to sell your service as this advertiser is the main goal is to make yourself stand out...or so is the impression the Ad gives.
(A)
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 13:59
I agree with you that the real GMAT questions are likely to be more defined and less dubious. The usefulness of looking at this kind of problems, to me, is that it provides you with challenges that force you to think and argue for your choice. The method of thinking is what one can pick up through this kind of discussions and will definitely help him/her with the likelihood of picking the correct answer, even if he/she can only narrow the answer to two choices.
  [#permalink] 28 Feb 2005, 13:59