Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

B-School application and preparation process

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 0

B-School application and preparation process [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 20:51
This post received
KUDOS
I've got a PM and in reply to it outlined the process of preparation and application. All the additions to this thread are highly appreciated !

---------------
Hi!
I'm a regular guy, as are most of the people at GMAT club. Main requirements for getting into a top school - GMAT 700+ (better have 720+, if you are an Indian IT then 740+), perfect essays, good extracurriculars, interesting work experience, better if you show that you led/managed something.

If you are just starting your journey then look for extracurriculars - society work, club, etc.; you have to show that you contribute to the society you live at

Then, take GMAT not later than in August. Keep in mind that you could possibly not reach your target in GMAT, thus taking exam in May is a very good option. Take TOEFL exam if needed in 1-2 weeks after GMAT (I took TOEFL the very next day because had to go to another city for both exams).

Next, after you have passed exams learn about schools. Better to do a short research during preparation to exams, because you have to mark schools which will receive your exam results. But after exam you can devote a lot of time searching for valuable info at gmatclub, blogs, school websites, transcripts of interviews with admission officers. You have to find out what are the differences between school cultures, approaches to study and what differentiates one school from another, because your essays have to show your fit.

After you are admitted to Top-10 school you can get a loan without a co-signer, guaranteed by school. Exception is Haas and you have to check school websites for availability of these loans closer to summer. You will most probably need about 7-8 kUSD to show them at your bank account for getting visa, because loan covers only 8-month period while you are getting 12-month visa. Most of this money will be spent later for deposit, tickets, apartment reservation, pocket money for the first month before studies.

My GMAT strategy was:
Princeton review - warm-up
Kaplan - good theory to improve understanding, tough problems
Manhattan Review - very good theory with some shortcuts, problems are a bit different from real test
Manhattan Review Sentence Correction - must read
+ I took 2 Power Prep tests and 1 GMAT Prep test. Keep these tests distributed in your preparation as they are the only real indicator of your score.

Total time of preparation for GMAT was about 2-2.5 months to avoid burn out, but it also depends on the level you start off at.

Regards,
R.E.D.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: B-School application and preparation process [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 21:44
thanks R.E.D. Kudos! Also in the vault.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Re: B-School application and preparation process   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2008, 21:44