Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

B-school applications DOWN -- WSJ article

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.99
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

B-school applications DOWN -- WSJ article [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 10:39
Very relevant article in the WSJ today -- b-school applications are down again. 22% worldwide! Of course, not every school is seeing a decline, but the numbers are pretty interesting to look at.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087 ... _whatsNews

Not sure that this changes things in a big way, but I wouldn't mind having slightly less competition. Unless, of course, only the weakest applicants decided not to apply. In that case, come back! :-D

This does make me think about changes to the essays at so many schools...to me, it seems like a lot of the essays have been made easier or at least less intimidating. Maybe some schools think this will encourage people to take a chance!
Tuck Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 67

Premium Member
Re: B-school applications DOWN -- WSJ article [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 07:47
mrsjonstewart wrote:
This does make me think about changes to the essays at so many schools...to me, it seems like a lot of the essays have been made easier or at least less intimidating. Maybe some schools think this will encourage people to take a chance!

I have a different theory. I actually think that the major influence of the changes to the essays are the admission committees' reaction to the booming admission consulting industry, which now include a number of ex admission committee members. I sense that admission committees feel they are being 'gamed' by the applicants who increasingly utilise admission consulting services to help them with their essays.

Therefore, they'd like to rely less on the essays, and more on interviews during which they can ask more probing questions. HBS new requirement of writing a reflection essay within a day after the interview is a prime example of how admission committees are trying to make it difficult to get coaching on all components of the application. I believe they'll pay particular attention to whether there is any difference in terms of writing style between this reflection essay and the other essays that an applicant has more time to get coaching on.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: B-school applications DOWN -- WSJ article [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 02:43
Expert's post
theK wrote:
I have a different theory. I actually think that the major influence of the changes to the essays are the admission committees' reaction to the booming admission consulting industry, which now include a number of ex admission committee members.

They are definitely doing that! Those tricky tricky Adcoms.. :)
Have you also noticed the dropping (esp. of most top schools of "Why Us?" questions. I think it's because they know...

@mrsjohnstewart - thanks for the link! interesting read! But I'd hold off till round 2 before coming to abrupt conclusions.. (how many sleepless night in R2 I will have :sigh:)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: B-school applications DOWN -- WSJ article   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2012, 02:43