Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

B-School selection and yeah, profile evaluation too :)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

B-School selection and yeah, profile evaluation too :) [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 14:20
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey Jon,

I really like your replies to different profile evaluation requests posts here.

I badly need your inputs on list of B-schools I should apply to.

Here is my profile:

Indian, Male,25 Years.
GMAT : 720 - 50(Q), 36(V) (Retaking it soon)
TOEFL : 108
GRADUATION: Electronics Engg. from a reputed Indian University with CGPA OF 7 OUT OF 10 (sorry dont know how to convert that to GPA)
Secondary School :72%
High School : 82%

Work ex:

IT (SAP Consultant - 32 Months)

- - Implemented SAP systems for clients across different geographies
- Migrated huge SAP systems and chalked out a migration strategy to upgrade the systems and improve the supply chain for a supermarket chain
- Captured project data and designed reports for mandatory Project Health Review; project was rated amongst the top 1% compliant projects
- Trained a team of 50 on soft skills and lead weekly knowledge transfer sessions for new recruits
- Awarded the Top Contributor award in 2010

Market Research and Analytics (15 Months till now) (Big job switch beat that !!)
- Worked in the Quantitative research division of a research firm
- Executed a top-line margin expansion project with a team of consultants for a UK based client resulting in annual top-line expansion of $165MM
- Traveled to an African country and lead a team of 30 to conduct field interviews
- Conducted a market segmentation study for a leading bank in US to assist in new product launch and market entry
- Promoted from Analyst to Senior Analyst in 10 months and currently leading a team of 3 analysts on a project

Extra Currics -

- Manager and guitar player with a professional band and performed across many cities in India
- Quantitative skills trainer and taught almost 100 high school students, GMAT/CAT aspirants. Also, taught Maths/English to poor students in a children's home
- Cultural secretary of annual college festival in 2006
- Organized blood donation drives, anti-AIDS, tree plantation campaigns as a part of Interact Club (part of Rotary International)

Post Mba goals: Management consulting (Analytics role, Quantitative projects)

Considerations while selecting a school: Merit aid (m.imp), strengths and placements in consulting (equally imp.), type of consulting firms visiting (less imp.), and yeah rankings too :P (formality)

College list till now: ISB, NUS (both good schools with great ROI in terms of finances), Emory, Darden ( Dream school - with in my horizon???), rest still looking. So, you see, I dont even have list of 5 schools, where I can send my GMAT score..

Can you suggest me some target schools, safety schools ?? Is UNC one of the options keeping in mind my "considerations"

Further, how do you see my profile my bro \m/ :) Job switch makes sense ??

Cheers!!

I was born intelligent but education ruined me !

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: B-School selection and yeah, profile evaluation too :) [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 00:53
Expert's post
Hey BearBelly,
How could I not answer someone who writes that they like my comments :)

Allright here's the deal: You have a good profile overall. Yeah Indian Male, Tech, we all know... no need to go through that too many times.

But you DO have more leadership than the standard Indian-Male-Techie, and you do have more leadership, AND I am VERY curious about that leadership in Africa stuff. Sounds like you have a preeeetty unique story there.

As for your school list, it's looking good and reasonable so far. You would be competitive - good in most non Top 10 schools. So you can look at places like Tepper, Kenan-Flagler, Babson, McCombs, Johnson, Anderson, Darden, Kelly, Gozuieta. You may have to tweak your goals a bit though. i.e. for Tepper, Anderson, which are very tech-heavy you may want to go with Product Management goals in the Tech industry, or perhaps tech consulting, for the others you'll have to see. It's a case by case thing.

And since you are going for Merit Aid, it's better for you to apply to more schools in which you would have good chances at, rather than spending all your effort to get into the "top ranked school possible" which if you get in, (which is possible) you probably wouldn't get much money offered if any.

As for the question about your job switch, I would say leave it off. Everybody wants to go in management consulting, so it's firstoff too standard, secondly, there are gonna be soooo many candidates that would be better placed than you to do that (at least from the POV of the AdCom, once you get in, do whatever you want, man :) ), So I think you'd be better off with goals within your line of expertise.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: B-School selection and yeah, profile evaluation too :) [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 01:42
precisionessay wrote:
Hey BearBelly,
How could I not answer someone who writes that they like my comments :)

Allright here's the deal: You have a good profile overall. Yeah Indian Male, Tech, we all know... no need to go through that too many times.

But you DO have more leadership than the standard Indian-Male-Techie, and you do have more leadership, AND I am VERY curious about that leadership in Africa stuff. Sounds like you have a preeeetty unique story there.

As for your school list, it's looking good and reasonable so far. You would be competitive - good in most non Top 10 schools. So you can look at places like Tepper, Kenan-Flagler, Babson, McCombs, Johnson, Anderson, Darden, Kelly, Gozuieta. You may have to tweak your goals a bit though. i.e. for Tepper, Anderson, which are very tech-heavy you may want to go with Product Management goals in the Tech industry, or perhaps tech consulting, for the others you'll have to see. It's a case by case thing.

And since you are going for Merit Aid, it's better for you to apply to more schools in which you would have good chances at, rather than spending all your effort to get into the "top ranked school possible" which if you get in, (which is possible) you probably wouldn't get much money offered if any.

As for the question about your job switch, I would say leave it off. Everybody wants to go in management consulting, so it's firstoff too standard, secondly, there are gonna be soooo many candidates that would be better placed than you to do that (at least from the POV of the AdCom, once you get in, do whatever you want, man :) ), So I think you'd be better off with goals within your line of expertise.

Jon,

Thanks for your reply !! Your comments are stupendous .. (Not because you said I have a good profile, but because you responses are so freely written )

Yeah, I was part of the standard Tech Pool from India. However, if you notice, I have managed to get out of that role on my own. For past 15 months, I have been working with consultants on business problems such as market entry, buying behavior studies, top line expansion etc.. (I love this stuff trust me). The only difference is that I am not in a client facing role (coz I dont have an MBA :P, hence m here too) I am more into the execution part of things.

So it is like IT -> Market Research and Analytics -> MBA (consulting as the goal) .. Is this pretty standard too ? This is the only differentiating point (in terms of work experience) I am going to bring out in the applications. You are breaking my heart here :? :shock:

Yeah, I think my list of initial 5 schools is: ISB, NUS, Goizueta, Darden, and Kenan-flagler. Goizueta is my top choice since the 3 consults (Bain, BCG, Monitor) recruit from here and also it offers good merit aid. I am going in EARLY for Goizueta.

Also, what is your perspective on Darden having just one essay for the prospective applicants. This signals red bells for candidates as it shows that the ADCOM already have in mind the kind of students it wants. Shall I consider Darden ?

Thanks again !!
I respect the Bro-Code \m/

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 561 [1] , given: 30

Re: B-School selection and yeah, profile evaluation too :) [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 00:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Stupendous! I like it, sir. With a vocabulary like that you 'll go a along way (okay okay, everybody likes a bit of flattery).

You career trajectory is an interesting one, mostly cause it breaks the mold, which is always helpful. As for your ultimate goal you will present tot he Adcom, and exactly how etc. etc., that's something that needs to be worked on. Just make sure it makes sense in terms of what you ave done and what you want.

I like your school list, so you just run with it. And yes, Darden seems a very reasonable choice, although I wouldn't necessarily say that they "know exactly what they are looking for" but it certainly does make the other application materials like resume and so on more important.

Good luck to you bro!
And if you need any advice or help you know where to find us
:)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: B-School selection and yeah, profile evaluation too :) [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 08:14
precisionessay wrote:
Stupendous! I like it, sir. With a vocabulary like that you 'll go a along way (okay okay, everybody likes a bit of flattery).

You career trajectory is an interesting one, mostly cause it breaks the mold, which is always helpful. As for your ultimate goal you will present tot he Adcom, and exactly how etc. etc., that's something that needs to be worked on. Just make sure it makes sense in terms of what you ave done and what you want.

I like your school list, so you just run with it. And yes, Darden seems a very reasonable choice, although I wouldn't necessarily say that they "know exactly what they are looking for" but it certainly does make the other application materials like resume and so on more important.

Good luck to you bro!
And if you need any advice or help you know where to find us

Kudos !! +1 to u ..

Hasta la vista !! C u after my retake at GMAT.. !

Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: B-School selection and yeah, profile evaluation too :) [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 23:31
Expert's post
Oh yeah! I'll be waiting for you...

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com