Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

B school straight out of undergrad

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

B school straight out of undergrad [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2004, 11:33
Hello everyone!

I will be graduating from a huge university with a BS in Computer Science next spring. I want to go to specifically attend MBA-fulltime at Carlson School of Management. I have pretty limited options because I want to stay near home because I am a small business owner -- and CSOM is a great school as far as I can tell.

So, my question is if I am qualified to get into an MBA program straight out of undergrad studies. I have been running a small business for three years now and have been in charge of everything in the business. Financial work, dealing with clients, marketing and all that "jazz".

I have a GPA of about 3.4 with lots of A's near the end, and lots of A's + B's near the begining of my transcript.

I don't have a ton of community involvement but have done Free business seminars hosted by my business.

How will this look?

I am currently studying very hard for the GMAT and am shooting for the moon on that one.

EDIT: I have also been working in a computer science research group for 2 years now at the University as an undergrad.

Thank you so much for your advice!

Mike
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2004, 12:24
Hi,

As I am sure you have already read, U Minn "strongly" recs two years of experience before applying. One could infer that it is possible to be admitted with less experience (since the term required was not used) but this does not seem an auspicious start.

The gorilla in the room is- What's the rush? What compels you to apply without acquiring more experience?

Best,

Hjort
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2004, 14:57
Expert's post
Honestly, I bet it would be tough for you to get admitted. While they're sure to love the business experience that you already have, "Get a few more years" is likely the first thing that they'll tell you. Also, a lot of full-time programs don't like to hear that you plan on moonlighting on a job while getting your MBA. When they hear this from an applicant, they fear that he may not "get" what the MBA program is about, or he may not be fully committed to it.

My advice would be to sit back for a few years, keep running your business, and then apply. Is there a compelling reason why you want to apply today? If it's really compelling, this could help you a lot. It would probably be somewhat unique. But if it's simply something like "I want to get all of my schooling out of the way," they'll almost certainly tell you to wait.

Good luck,
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2004, 15:22
Great advice, thank you.

No, I do no have a particularly imperative need to go to b school right away. Honestly, I just love business and I want to go. It seems logical to me to pack on all the education I can then take the principles I have learned and get some realworld experience. We'll see how it goes. My plan is to take the GMAT soon and evaluate whether I will apply based on my score. I know the GMAT "is not everything" but it will be a good benchmark for me. If it goes well (700+) then I most certainly will apply, if not then maybe I will save the couple bucks and take a couple years off.

The odds are against me from the age and experience standpoint. The numbers on the CSOM website indicate an average age of almost 29 and average business experience of 4.29 years. I like a good challenge :-)

I have been wrestling with the fact that I can't necessarily "leave" my small business in order to go to b school. If I were admitted I would probably continue the business at the same pace I am right now -- which is demanding but classes are always a higher priority.

Thanks!

Mike
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2005, 19:26
I am reporting back, 7 months after this post.

I have been admitted to the Carlson School of Management.

I took the GMAT in November and scored a 530. I knew this would not be good enough for Carlson. I retook and got a 680 and promptly applied.

Not bad.

Mike
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2005, 06:41
Expert's post
Great! That's a huge jump in your scores. Congrats on getting in!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2005, 08:19
Thanks Scott!

Mike
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2005, 00:07
congrat Rummey!! hearing about your situation gave me some hope :D

I have 1.5 years of full time co-op experience too, but my grades are not as good as yours. I will try hard on gmat though :)
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2005, 11:15
Do it! I was totally psyched when I got a 680 on my gmat - especially after I first got a 530! There is nothing you can do other than try really really hard!

Mike