Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q47  V44
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: B-School Tuition costs per year or Total [#permalink]
just did a cost analysis of the places i applied to.

Surprisingly, singapore had the highest average rent of all the places. (off campus rental)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Come on toga, that was to be expected - NUS is like the only school in a proper city you've applied to.
Sometime I wonder how you're going to deal with life if you ended up at Cornell! :)

togafoot wrote:
just did a cost analysis of the places i applied to.

Surprisingly, singapore had the highest average rent of all the places. (off campus rental)

I think a realistic estimate of annual expenses for the average U.S. MBA program at a private university will creep up to the $75,000 mark over the next year or two.
Current Student
Send PM
Cornell came out with the cheapest accomodation of all the places i applied to, but not sure if that is a rough area or not. ave. $1100 for a 3 bed apartment. I used real estate companies to do a quick 'prive' check of the areas.

To be honest, i have a feeling i will be too busy to realise if i am in a city or not :shock:
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
It's a nice, cheap area alright. What I meant was, after all that globetrotting you've been doing, Ithaca is going to come as an..umm change!
Current Student
Send PM
Ha ha, probably, so used to living in massive cities.
Off to Vancouver next month (on business), last time i went there i found it far too quiet. Even the downtown area. I've always preferred cities that have decent public transport links.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
toga, if you think Vancouver is "too quiet", then you are in for a shock in Ithaca... it's... um... "silent" :P

I am used to big cities (I only consider Manhattan/NYC a "real" city in the US), coming from many years in Taipei. Ithaca was beautiful and peaceful, but I would probably go crazy living there for 2 years.
Current Student
Send PM
Ho Chi Minh was too busy for me. Too many motorbikes, almost impossible to cross the road. Bangalore's traffic is even worse!!!!
Singapore was nice when i went there, apparently they restrict the number of vehicle ownership licenses per year so that the roads don't become too congested.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
togafoot wrote:
Cornell came out with the cheapest accomodation of all the places i applied to, but not sure if that is a rough area or not. ave. $1100 for a 3 bed apartment. I used real estate companies to do a quick 'prive' check of the areas.

To be honest, i have a feeling i will be too busy to realise if i am in a city or not :shock:

If you have Ithaca questions, let me know.

There are no bad areas in Ithaca. (Seriously - we had a house in Ithaca that was essentially kitty-corner from some public housing. The "danger" was that someone might toss an empty 40 in your yard. We didn't even lock our back door.)
Current Student
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
togafoot wrote:

Beware - as an international student in the US (which I believe you would be) you may fall foul of the lovely landlord "rent upfront" stunt unless you get a guarantor. This may just be another beautiful New York trick however, and could easily only happen here, where they know they can because they feel like it.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
togafoot wrote:

Beware - as an international student in the US (which I believe you would be) you may fall foul of the lovely landlord "rent upfront" stunt unless you get a guarantor. This may just be another beautiful New York trick however, and could easily only happen here, where they know they can because they feel like it.

happens in london too unfortunately.

arrived here from NZ 18 months ago and had to pay 2months worth up front. Also hurts when moving from a weaker to a stronger currency
Current Student
Send PM
lucky you`re not moving to Japan. 5-6 months and only 1 month of that is the deposit
1 months for the landlord
1 months for the agent
2 months key money (used to make the flat newer e.g replace tatami mats)
1 months deposit
1 months rent in advance.

oh! and you usually have to pay a renewal fee of a month every year or 2 depending on the contract :D
Current Student
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
togafoot wrote:

There are no bad areas in Ithaca. (Seriously - we had a house in Ithaca that was essentially kitty-corner from some public housing. The "danger" was that someone might toss an empty 40 in your yard. We didn't even lock our back door.)

Is a car necessary? Because I don't drive.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
togafoot wrote:
lucky you`re not moving to Japan. 5-6 months and only 1 month of that is the deposit
1 months for the landlord
1 months for the agent
2 months key money (used to make the flat newer e.g replace tatami mats)
1 months deposit
1 months rent in advance.

oh! and you usually have to pay a renewal fee of a month every year or 2 depending on the contract :D

Can you say "rip-off"?
Current Student
Send PM
yes you can. But that's the system in Japan. If you want to move there you have to handle it.

That's why most foreigners get international transfers on an ex-pat package and let their companies handle it.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
togafoot wrote:

Is a car necessary? Because I don't drive.

Not 100% necessary, no.

Ndhlp and I had just one car. I biked to work, he bussed to campus. That was fine. A friend of mine lived in Ithaca for years without a car. Here's what you should know:

You'll want to live close to campus (which will make rent more expensive) so you can walk to the Johnson school. Or live close to the Commons so you only need to take one bus and so that bus will be frequent. You can get farther from the Commons and still only need to take one bus, but it will probably pass only once an hour. Nearly all the busses go to the Commons and then up to campus, so that's a good place to be.

Ithaca is highly walkable - all of the downtown neighborhoods are walking distance to the Commons (restaurants/shops/bars) and some of them are walking distance to the grocery store. The one place where having a car is nice is if you want to go to a big box store - Home Depot, Target, WalMart. Some of those are on the south side and potentially walkable and certainly bikable. Some of them are up by the mall - not walkable or really bikable from downtown.
GMAT Club Bot