Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

B-School Tuition money evaporating

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2008, 17:51
well, at one point it got up to 51% (in 2006)... but I'm happy with 40%. :)
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 1045
Location: New York, NY
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 15:24
togafoot wrote:
kryzak wrote:
well, I guess I'm kind of lucky to be in the SF Bay Area. Housing prices have steadied, but houses are still selling within 30 days at 40% over what I bought it for 5 years ago. Not too bad. :P


only 33% for my place in London :(, i bought it 5 years ago too.



But make it in USD to see how much it has gone up, even with the the sterling coming down a little...

Man, South Kensington, Chelsea and neighborhood are just insane in terms of prices... Well Actually the whole London is insane in terms of housing prices...
_________________

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 15:27
Yeah thats one aspect of London that's really gonna suck if I make it to LBS.
kwam wrote:
But make it in USD to see how much it has gone up, even with the the sterling coming down a little...

Man, South Kensington, Chelsea and neighborhood are just insane in terms of prices... Well Actually the whole London is insane in terms of housing prices...
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1502
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 16:08
I believe it's 5 years.

aaudetat wrote:
You can take money pre-retirement from a Roth without penalty, provided it's for appropriate uses. But there's also a rule about it having to be in the account for a certain amount of time...can't remember how long it is, though.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 983
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 10

Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2008, 02:34
kwam wrote:
togafoot wrote:
kryzak wrote:
well, I guess I'm kind of lucky to be in the SF Bay Area. Housing prices have steadied, but houses are still selling within 30 days at 40% over what I bought it for 5 years ago. Not too bad. :P


only 33% for my place in London :(, i bought it 5 years ago too.



But make it in USD to see how much it has gone up, even with the the sterling coming down a little...

Man, South Kensington, Chelsea and neighborhood are just insane in terms of prices... Well Actually the whole London is insane in terms of housing prices...


in that case, if using exchange rates at time of purchase and at current price now, its approx. 97% when converted to USD
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 1045
Location: New York, NY
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2008, 02:56
togafoot wrote:
kwam wrote:

But make it in USD to see how much it has gone up, even with the the sterling coming down a little...

Man, South Kensington, Chelsea and neighborhood are just insane in terms of prices... Well Actually the whole London is insane in terms of housing prices...


in that case, if using exchange rates at time of purchase and at current price now, its approx. 97% when converted to USD



See toga, I know that if you were to live in UK you would think in Sterlings, but as you may head to US, your tuition money is not evaporating ;)

I'm just "kidding" here, but there are still some house markets that are very attractive to invest. Brazil, for instance, is booming, especially in Sao Paulo.
_________________

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2007
Posts: 1062
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2008, 13:51
Well...with the market down huge...again...my savings took another hit (probably to the effect of a couple of text books next year).
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 983
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 10

Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 05:41
Everyone is harping on about gld, so after an initial spike from amateur investors, the pro's will take the profit causing the amateurs to follow suit (through panic) and then re-buy gold ata more affordable price causing a potential whipsaw. This can make gold quite volatile when the market reaches this point?

Surely a safer market would be other sources of raw materials such as copper which is in high demand due to the expanding economies of India and China?

disclaimer: i don't know what i am talking about :-D
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1502
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 06:01
IMHO, commodities are inherently volatile and this is NOT a good idea for a short-term investment strategy. and neither are stocks if your investment horizon is anything less than 5 years.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 1045
Location: New York, NY
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 06:40
togafoot wrote:
Everyone is harping on about gld, so after an initial spike from amateur investors, the pro's will take the profit causing the amateurs to follow suit (through panic) and then re-buy gold ata more affordable price causing a potential whipsaw. This can make gold quite volatile when the market reaches this point?

Surely a safer market would be other sources of raw materials such as copper which is in high demand due to the expanding economies of India and China?

disclaimer: i don't know what i am talking about :-D



http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?video_ ... 1&border=0
_________________

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1502
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 06:44
err..."we're sorry this video is no longer available?"
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 1045
Location: New York, NY
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 06:49
solaris1 wrote:
err..."we're sorry this video is no longer available?"



I can see it...

Anyway, I will save it and let an rapidshar link, it's very funny...
_________________

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2007
Posts: 385
Location: Europe
Schools: St. Gallen '09
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 5

Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 07:03
togafoot wrote:
Everyone is harping on about gld, so after an initial spike from amateur investors, the pro's will take the profit causing the amateurs to follow suit (through panic) and then re-buy gold ata more affordable price causing a potential whipsaw. This can make gold quite volatile when the market reaches this point?

Surely a safer market would be other sources of raw materials such as copper which is in high demand due to the expanding economies of India and China?

disclaimer: i don't know what i am talking about :-D


gold has finally gotten some respect by the mainstream press lately b/c it has broken all-time price records. typically, such an event is met with skepticism that the move cannot keep going. however, the fundamental drivers and technical picture behind gold's price presage much higher prices over the next few years. gold will challenge the $1000 price level, and probably the $2000 level. whipsaws are very common in this market. that's why it's best to own some gold bullion or GLD and forget about it. they are the least volatile compared to playing the futures market and precious metals equities. gold is simply an insurance policy, and the premium is rising.

copper is just as volatile as gold, if not more. FCX is your "go to" stock for a copper play. the demand for copper is susceptible to a slowdown in economic activity and thereby reducing prices, whereas gold is not necessarily. the BRIC demand for copper and other base metals will remain strong going forward over many generations to come. because gold serves as a barometer for inflation and a safe haven asset, there are various factors at play supporting the gold price unlike copper.

agricultural commodities are probably another way to hedge your bets, as food prices will continue to increase for many years to come. check out the DBA and MOO exchange traded funds. there are several others to pick and choose from.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2007
Posts: 385
Location: Europe
Schools: St. Gallen '09
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 5

Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 07:12
solaris1 wrote:
IMHO, commodities are inherently volatile and this is NOT a good idea for a short-term investment strategy. and neither are stocks if your investment horizon is anything less than 5 years.


what isn't volatile these days?!

if you were given the task of putting $25k to work in order to generate positive absolute returns over the next 6-12 months, what would you do with it?
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1502
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 07:18
4.65% in a prime money market fund or 3.65% in tax-exempt short term munis. but then, i'm rather risk averse :)

trader1 wrote:
solaris1 wrote:
IMHO, commodities are inherently volatile and this is NOT a good idea for a short-term investment strategy. and neither are stocks if your investment horizon is anything less than 5 years.


what isn't volatile these days?!

if you were given the task of putting $25k to work in order to generate positive absolute returns over the next 6-12 months, what would you do with it?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 1045
Location: New York, NY
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 07:21
I've Found it, sorry for the previous link, it is indeed broken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PISjq4UTG-E
_________________

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2007
Posts: 385
Location: Europe
Schools: St. Gallen '09
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 5

Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 07:25
solaris1 wrote:
4.65% in a prime money market fund or 3.65% in tax-exempt short term munis. but then, i'm rather risk averse :)


well, those would be bad bets if the financial system implodes and/or MBIA/Ambac go bankrupt and can no longer insure those muni bonds.

might want to just stay in cash if you're completely risk averse, except spread your bets by buying some spot forex in euros, loonies, and/or swissies. maintain 50% in your home currency.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1502
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 07:32
Oh Ambac and MBIA *are* going under IMO, in any case when that does happen I expect yields on short term munis to actually go higher. Moreover, I think it's pretty unlikely that any state/local government is going to default on a 6 month - 2 year maturity bond.

trader1 wrote:
solaris1 wrote:
4.65% in a prime money market fund or 3.65% in tax-exempt short term munis. but then, i'm rather risk averse :)


well, those would be bad bets if the financial system implodes and/or MBIA/Ambac go bankrupt and can no longer insure those muni bonds.

might want to just stay in cash if you're completely risk averse, except spread your bets by buying some spot forex in euros, loonies, and/or swissies. maintain 50% in your home currency.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 11:13
yeah, if the gov't defaults in the next 2 years, then we (as in people in the US) are screwed anyways. Not getting my 4.65% interest will be the least of my worries. Actually, if that happens, the world economy will probably be adversely affected, creating an "everyone loses" situation.
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 962
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 11:17
kryzak wrote:
yeah, if the gov't defaults in the next 2 years, then we (as in people in the US) are screwed anyways. Not getting my 4.65% interest will be the least of my worries. Actually, if that happens, the world economy will probably be adversely affected, creating an "everyone loses" situation.

yea, a us government default is pretty much armageddon. might as well forget about the mba if that happens, and head for the caves.
Re: B-School Tuition money evaporating   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2008, 11:17
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Are Elite B-Schools Worth the Money? ngould 3 24 Oct 2012, 11:42
2 question about B-school tuition and the post-graduation semidevil 12 11 Feb 2009, 17:31
B-School Tuition costs per year or Total togafoot 17 27 Jan 2008, 19:12
helping to pay off bschool tuition by interviewing jpjazzman 3 27 Jan 2008, 15:29
3 B-School Tuition money evaporating burger2001 63 15 Jan 2008, 12:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

B-School Tuition money evaporating

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 64 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.