Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: B-School Verification process [#permalink]
you are right Jerz, my recommenders too used the same internal titles to explain my role and accomplishments etc..i guess this b-school verification is so frustrating that we tend to split hairs over nothing..
Current Student
Send PM
I have a question... I know the general gist of Kroll. But do you guys think they would verify pre-graduate employment? Why does Kroll want to know what you did when you were lets say a Sophomore in college?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship, Health Care
Schools:Wharton
 Q50  V44
Send PM
eeter1 wrote:
I have a question... I know the general gist of Kroll. But do you guys think they would verify pre-graduate employment? Why does Kroll want to know what you did when you were lets say a Sophomore in college?

That's not accurate from what I know about Kroll...They do not care what you did as a sophomore in college.
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks for the quick response zoinnk. Now that I think about it I guess you are right and that they primarily focus on post-graduate work experience. On a second note I just want to tell you that wow I saw your stats 770 GMAT is stellar! I barely managed a 690! Good luck to you in the application process this year although with that 770 it already opens a lot of doors... :-D
Current Student
Send PM
eeter1...zoinnk is soo good that he turned down HBS ..thats is right, he rejected HBS..after they accepted him ...thats how good he is :)

on another note, i spoke with my HR rep, and she says my company no way on earth will divulge anything besides that I am gainfully employed at my company and that even if Kroll requests for salary information, I would have to approve it and that they do not provide any title information to anyone even if I requested them..

she sent me a sample employee verification report and it just had the date i started working at my company, my present work location, (salary info, since I approved her to access that info) and thats it...Bottom line, the company will only acknowledge that i work there and if they need any more info, which cannot be more than date of employment and current salary, will only be provided if I have send to HR a written letter approving them to go ahead.

her answer was if any school or kroll asks for anything else, tell em they aint getting it..

as for even doing a cursory verification on my recommender, my HR rep said my recommender in my case the "head hancho" will have to send an approval form in writting that HR release his employment verification.
Current Student
Send PM
FN you should be cool with what you just said too... Just trying to give you my input bro.

Umm when Kroll does not get salary information, they will then ask you for either pay stub or paystub with bonus confirmation in some cases W2's. This is what I have been picking up on the threads.

You should be totally fine tho, I went ahead and told my HR (I had a similar issue) and already told them to give salary information so that headache would not come up..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:Wharton (R2, Int Invit),Chicago (R2, Int Invit),Columbia (R2, Int Invit),NYU (R2),MIT (Ding),LBS (Ding)
 Q50  V35
Send PM
Your help will be appreciated....
I am wondering what Kroll exactly check regarding my work backgrounds...
I worked on 5 or 6 diffrent places while in college (mostly part time), and i had 2 internships at the end of college, and hold 2 different position at my current company....my questions is that do Kroll care about my part time jobs while in school?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
arshia22 wrote:
Your help will be appreciated....
I am wondering what Kroll exactly check regarding my work backgrounds...
I worked on 5 or 6 diffrent places while in college (mostly part time), and i had 2 internships at the end of college, and hold 2 different position at my current company....my questions is that do Kroll care about my part time jobs while in school?

The only way they will ever know about them is if you thell them. Just to clear up some common misconceptions about background checks, there is no master employment database that contains a record of every job that you have ever had. It just doesn't exist. So, if you don't tell Kroll about it, then they will never look to verify you worked there.
Intern
Intern
Schools:Wharton (R2, Int Invit),Chicago (R2, Int Invit),Columbia (R2, Int Invit),NYU (R2),MIT (Ding),LBS (Ding)
 Q50  V35
Send PM
I still don't have access to kroll, so I don't know how it works . But what if I have all these jobs on my applications? Do kroll check everything on apps? I'm worried about some start/ end dates? Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Send PM
arshia22-

At Wharton, Kroll asked only for the current job and the previous employer. As a matter of fact, you dont even get a choice which employers get checked. Whatever you put in the application under the employment section (At Wharton they only asked for current and one previous employer) is auto-populated in the Kroll form.

So I guess if in your school's application, you put down some company under the employment section, that is what they will check.

They do check the start dates, end dates (by calling the employer in my case) and then verify your salary and the bonus. In my case I had to fax my previous companies's paychecks (thankfully I still had them!) and my past W-2s. Fairly standard..once again, whatever you put in the employment section in the application is verified.

I am not sure how your part-time jobs will be reflected..if you reflected them as part-time in your application form and gave the correct start-end dates then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I think most applicants dont even put down their college part-time jobs (I didn't and Wharton didn't even ask for it).

Originally posted by sterny on 25 Mar 2009, 19:38.
Last edited by sterny on 25 Mar 2009, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
Just to clarify jb32's point above-

It's not like you TELL Kroll anything. Kroll is auto-populated with whatever you told the school. You barely have any room to tell Kroll anything differently. You just look at what Kroll has got from the school and signoff on it.

Atleast that was the case at Wharton.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V35
Send PM
thanks sterny,
I don't have any issues with my professional background after college, but just some part time jobs like working as a waiter in a restaurant while in college.... I had to put all those part time jobs on my apps.... My question is do they really care to call those employers as well? I had 4 or 5 while I was in college...thank you
Current Student
Send PM
arshia22-

I don't think Kroll or your school is going to check those part-time jobs (waiter etc.). They are mainly focussed only on post-graduation jobs.

Once again, my experience is limited with Wharton, but thats what they checked.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
okay i have question: i worked in a non-profit in Pakistan, for less than 3 months, I left during the probation period and thereafter joined a firm in Saudi in September but who only put me on their payroll after the probation ended, thats is, mid-December... so now when they do the background check, its highly unlikely that the company in Pakistan will have a record of me unless they do a proper paper trail search, which is unlikely given their environmental stance. Same concern regarding the firm in Saudi.. anyone got any clues on how this works out for internationals in such cases?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
Perspective: I have a few friends that have jobs in Virginia that require security clearance. Their employer uses Kroll for screening/verification purposes and I've heard that the Kroll process can cost more than $50k per employee. So, how much digging do you think Kroll is going to do for a few hundred bucks? If they find a discrepancy in your app, they'll notify the school and you'll have a chance to explain. If you can't explain it...then you've got a problem.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Send PM
50k per employeeee?? wow that's a crazy number.
Yea I thought they only take $65 to check us. That really puts it into perspective.
Anybody knows how long does the whole process typically takes?...or does it varies a lot case by case?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
I've been stressing about this a bit. I got a promotion last summer, I got a significant step up in responsibility, a significant raise and was moved to a new office. Then when we began preping for my annual review everyone, me, my boss, my group manager, my director, etc. was kinda surprised to find out that I was still a level 1 instead of a level 2. I've been doing the job of a level 3 for months now, I listed on my resume that I'm a level 2 because I honestly thought I was (who gives away the money but not the title? isn't it supposed to be the other way around?).

I don't have an admit yet, I'm holding out hope for CBS and I'm on the waitlist at Georgetown, but I'm worried that even if I get admitted I'll be ding'd because my job title isn't what I said it was.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4