Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q49  V38
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V38
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: B-schools for the 30+ applicant [#permalink]
Thanks buddy,
These days I'm not actively reviewing essays, but I can take a quick look at them if you want. Shoot me a pm.

GBH wrote:
Thanks for the reply, bsd.

My next stop is LSB and I will definitely revisit my essays and my storyboard.

Is it generally an accepted thing in this forum to request admitted applicants (like you!) to review essays?

BTW, I just went through all the 9-pages of your absolutely amazing saga on the LBS-R1-Roll-Call (thread lbs-r1-roll-call-54115-160.html) and you have simply inspired me to keep going.

Wow! What a thread! Just the kind of inspiration one needs on the day they get dinged!

Thanks, mate!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Hi GBH,

I too think that LBS could be a good option for you: it's definitely in Europe TOP 3 and is older-applicants friendly. The only problem may be that you are somewhat late in the admission season, and this could make things tougher.

So, as an alternative, I'd like to bring your attention to Oxford/Cambridge MBA programmes. They are considered a tier lower compared to LBS/INSEAD/IMD at the moment, but the majority agree that their reputation will strengthen in time. Both are oldies-friendly (ave. age is 29-30) and diverse. I myself am 30+ with 9.5 WE, and I know of admits of 35+ at both schools. Considering your interest in entrepreneurship, Oxford might be a better choice for you: its strengths are entrepreneurship and finance, while Cambridge, like IMD, positions itself as a GM programme (and also their last round deadline has already passed).

So you might think of this option too after your LBS app is ready! :)
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V38
Send PM
That's right - yesterday was the last deadline for LBS 2009, which means that I have to target for 2010 and I doubt if I will be any younger next year :-)

Unfortunately most schools in this part of the world seem to start off in fall rather than in summer which means that I only have a possibility to target the R3/R4 deadlines which definitely makes it tougher.

Thanks for recommending Oxford, greenoak. I am in the process of shortlisting the schools that I have to apply in my next "wave" and Oxford was on the list and it now gets a +1. Any ideas about how favorable the R3/R4 rounds are at Oxford?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
R4 is never the easiest one, but I think that it’s still doable at Oxford. Your demographics is not very rare, unfortunately – there is a lot of Indian admits already (those not working in India as well), and many of them with high stats – but as your goals match the school’s strength, I believe that if you manage to explain them efficiently and write good essays, you will have a decent chance even in R4.

And even if you are late for R4, don’t worry: getting a year older won’t spoil your chances dramatically, at least at Oxford/Cambridge/IMD: AFAIK, there’s almost no difference in perception of 31-34 y.o. by the adcom there (good WE, consistent career path and very clear and realistic goals are expected from this age group, though).

So, good luck! :)
GMAT Club Bot