Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

B schools in US I can apply- Indian 24 GMAT-710, WE-2in 2013

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 12

B schools in US I can apply- Indian 24 GMAT-710, WE-2in 2013 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2013, 04:14
Hi,
Here's my profile :

Indian,male,24yrs old working with an IT company for 2 years now, will be three when I join the school.

Acads - Btech(Computer) from VJTI(Mumbai) CGPA- 7.6/10

X-87.86%,xii-87%

GMAT- 710, Q- 50, V- 35, AWA-5/6
TOEFl- 114

Extra curricular - Third in state level science quiz competition, First in district level quiz competition, was the Sponsorship General Secretary for intra college events in 2nd year, and for inter-college event in third year. Managed a team of 7 people. Also, winner of the dance competitions in the college all the four years. Went to the final round of a competition The Great Minds Challenge Competition(TGMC), a national level competition, organized by IBM.

I am looking to get into one of the top 20 colleges. What are the odds in favor and against me?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: B schools in US I can apply- Indian 24 GMAT-710, WE-2in 2013 [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 14:18
You have a lot of things working against you: Indian IT male, little work experience, and a low GMAT compared to others in your demographic.

Based on the limited information you provided, I'd say it would be very hard to get into a top-10 program and quite hard to get into a top-15 program.

What sets you apart from all the other Indian IT guys? That is what you need to figure out and communicate in your applications.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: B schools in US I can apply- Indian 24 GMAT-710, WE-2in 2013 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 22:09
Hello,
VJTI is a good school in Mumbai university. However, you need to have more fire-power to land in top-20.
Background ? company ? role ? Are you a manager ?If yes, how many people ? what were your initiatives.

Extra-cirriculars : nothing special. You really need to see how to differentiate yourself if you want to go to top 20.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: B schools in US I can apply- Indian 24 GMAT-710, WE-2in 2013 [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2013, 20:09
Hi Mehul,

You have an avg. acads/CGPA and a decent GMAT score. ECs seem to be fine. You’ve not mentioned about leadership examples and post-MBA goals. You should have clarity on short/long term goals and how an MBA will help you to achieve them. With the given information, you may target b-schools like: Duke, Darden, Cornell, McCombs, Kenan-Flagler, USC-Marshall, Emory, Indiana-Kelley, Oxford-Said, Cambridge-Judge, ISB and NUS. You may try your chances in b-school(s) by clicking http://www.apphelp.co.in/Bschool-selection.htm

Let me know in case of further queries. You may PM your details for school selection and profile evaluation in length.

Regards
Erina

mehulsayani wrote:
Hi,
Here's my profile :

Indian,male,24yrs old working with an IT company for 2 years now, will be three when I join the school.

Acads - Btech(Computer) from VJTI(Mumbai) CGPA- 7.6/10

X-87.86%,xii-87%

GMAT- 710, Q- 50, V- 35, AWA-5/6
TOEFl- 114

Extra curricular - Third in state level science quiz competition, First in district level quiz competition, was the Sponsorship General Secretary for intra college events in 2nd year, and for inter-college event in third year. Managed a team of 7 people. Also, winner of the dance competitions in the college all the four years. Went to the final round of a competition The Great Minds Challenge Competition(TGMC), a national level competition, organized by IBM.

I am looking to get into one of the top 20 colleges. What are the odds in favor and against me?

GMAT-720
Undergrad- Top 5 college in India
MBA- Top 15 FT ranking b-school

Re: B schools in US I can apply- Indian 24 GMAT-710, WE-2in 2013   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2013, 20:09