Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 08:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

b-schools located in major cities

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

b-schools located in major cities [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2005, 11:49
Hjort,

I am in the process of applying to schools located in cities where my wife has good chances of finding a job for herself..she has been a business analyst in retail banking working with people in IT and currently works as a project manager. I have ruled out applying to only college towns.

With a 640 score and 5 + years of work exp based in Detroit, I have currently shortlisted michigan(since i live nearby and fall in the 80 % gmat score range), maryland & georgetown(proximity to DC and other surrounding areas), washington (st.louis is a big city)..thinking of toronto(rotman) too..any other suggestions keeping in mind her background?

i am thinking of emory (atlanta) too since i fall in their 80 % range for gmat scores, but their avg. score 680 is similar to michigan(690)..so not sure if its worth applying to 2 stretch schools..
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2005, 13:48
Where do you want to work/settle down when you graduate? That might have a lot to do with your school choices, especially because once you eliminate the ultra-elites and some of the elites, most schools are very strong regionally in terms of future employment.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2005, 19:44
coffeelover makes a good point regarding where you want to work after the MBA. It is worth noting that most schools in the top clusters (including all of the ultra elites) are located in major metropolitan areas or within commuting distance of them.

Some examples

NY: Columbia, NYU
LA: UCLA
SF/SV: UCB, Stanford
Chicago: Northwestern, U of Chicago
Boston: MIT, Harvard
Detoit: Michigan
PH: Penn

There are, of course, some "small town" schools such as Dartmouth and Cornell.

Another method couples employ is to split the difference(yes, I realize that this is not a novel idea). If the school is (say) 60 miles away for the urban core, you can find a convenient place to live in between so that you both have a commute of about 30 miles.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2005, 10:42
well michigan is the only top10 school i am applying to based on my score...i would love to move to a warm weather place after my years in detroit, but hey east coast ain't bad considering the number of big cities out there...wudn't mind detroit either but there is a greater focus on the auto industry here(which i am currently employed in)..so i was looking at any other cities with great odds of my wife working in.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2005, 12:31
What cluster are you concentrating on? Near Elites?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2005, 21:24
well i am applying to the ones i mentioned in my first post..michigan dosen't seem to be ultra elite but it is ranked higher than most in the rankings...
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2005, 01:51
Some Near Elite Frontier options

LA/OC Irvine
Boston Babson
Houston Rice
Dallas SMU
Atlanta Georgia Tech