Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

B-Schools with worst application process

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
B-Schools with worst application process [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 08:34
Although I dont want to degrade any school based on the application process but certain schools have really made the already nerve-wracking process a big nightmare. I hope this thread helps future aspirants in getting better idea about the the schools that have horrendous application process.

My worst would be McCombs : Horrendous-horrendous process. Just check the 2011 McCombs admission thread.

Your turn?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: B-Schools with worst application process [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 17:18
USC was disappointing:

-Admissions posted an interview deadline of 2/15/11. Most thought if they didn't get an interview on or before that day, you were dinged. Not true at all. Interviews trickled out after that.

-I wasn’t able to get any kind of update besides “your application is under review” until the final admission decision date. Not even ApplyYourself was updated. When the final decision day came, I thought I was going to get a ding, but instead I got an interview.

-I ended up being admitted, but missed out on the admit weekend because of my late interview and admission.

-A general lack of communication and information prevailed through the admission process. Other schools blog about rounds of admission decisions, interview invitation waves, etc., but USC didn't release anything like this. The admissions folks on the phone and e-mail didn't provide this info, either.

Everyone I met at USC was very nice and they have a great program to which I was very happy to be admitted, but the application process left me a bit disappointed.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross 2013
WE 1: 4.5 years investment consulting
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: B-Schools with worst application process [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 06:26
McCombs for the following reasons:

1) The amount of time you must wait for a decision after you interview is at least 12 weeks, but often even longer. This was by far the longest wait of any school I applied to, and it makes me wonder what they are doing over there.

2) I left several voicemails with the office of admissions with questions, and my calls were never returned.

3) You must mail your official transcript to a separate office at UT before your application can be considered complete. This is confusing and should be made clearer from the beginning.

In general, I just felt like their office of admissions is either incredibly swamped or extremely disorganized. I know the school itself has an excellent reputation, but I was really turned off by their admissions process from start to finish.
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: B-Schools with worst application process [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 07:24
graphix wrote:
McCombs for the following reasons:

1) The amount of time you must wait for a decision after you interview is at least 12 weeks, but often even longer. This was by far the longest wait of any school I applied to, and it makes me wonder what they are doing over there.

2) I left several voicemails with the office of admissions with questions, and my calls were never returned.

3) You must mail your official transcript to a separate office at UT before your application can be considered complete. This is confusing and should be made clearer from the beginning.

In general, I just felt like their office of admissions is either incredibly swamped or extremely disorganized. I know the school itself has an excellent reputation, but I was really turned off by their admissions process from start to finish.

The problem with McCombs, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, is that everything still has to go through one-single University of Texas system. In other words, any other school that is part of the UT system is using the system. Therefore, McCombs has to take an application and it has to be processed with the system as well. I believe there has to coordination between McCombs and the UT system with regards to getting payments, transcripts, etc. Obviously, if McCombs were to handle everything directly then I'm sure things would be easier. To your second point, not all schools return calls right away or at all (this from experience). Back to your first point, 12 week is a lot but I've had to wait 10 weeks for some decisions. Now, in order of ease, yes, McCombs is probably the more annoying one but hey, I blame the system I guess. Yale is by far the easiest as far as actually submitting an application.
Re: B-Schools with worst application process   [#permalink] 12 May 2011, 07:24