Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Baaaah! Gmat 700...retake or just focus on applications?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 29

Baaaah! Gmat 700...retake or just focus on applications? [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 11:43
Hi Everyone

Just took the official GMAT and scored 700 (Q44, V42). Did something really stupid though. I took my sweet time eating my snacks (ahhh food seduces me!) during my break between AWA and quant, and ended up taking 13 minutes (which reduced my quant time to 70 min). This contributed to some panic and sloppiness of my quant. I honestly think I could have scored 710 - 740. Should I retake? Or should I just focus on my applications at this point?

Target schools: Wharton, LBS, Insead, Oxford, MIT, Stanford, Cambridge, HEC.

I have a lot in the volunteer, leadership, and work exp portions and don't need much more work in those areas. I also have a high GPA from both my undergrad (not well known school) and my grad school (ivy league).

Thanks for your advice and thoughts in advance. I can't tell you how much this forum has helped me.

-Enkie

~ PickyTooth - Eat Like a Local Foodie // www.pickytooth.com ~

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Baaaah! Gmat 700...retake or just focus on applications? [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 12:32
Expert's post
Ah, too bad about the lunch break! Your score is quite good, by the way. It seems that you have almost everything covered now, but please don't underestimate the application process and essays. These require a great deal of time and effort. Any sacrifice on the essays means that you sacrifice your acceptance letter.

As for the retake, I normally advise people to resist this temptation. However, your situation is a tad different. If you (1) honestly and sincerely believe that you will score well above 700, (2) are sure that the lost minutes from the break were a large factor in your mental state and subsequent score, and (3) could remain in control and easily deal with similar problems during the second attempt, then I say that a retake might be worth it.

Remember, though, that a lower score on the second attempt would hurt your chances - especially for the schools listed above. But you have time to think about this, so take a week or two off and consider the pros and cons.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 29

Re: Baaaah! Gmat 700...retake or just focus on applications? [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 13:01
This post received
KUDOS
Hi There

Thanks so much for your input! I think you are right in that essays will take up a lot of my time. I think I will spend the next month honing my resume and first draft essays, then reconsider my retake options.

I already have a grad degree in economics from an ivy league school (with 3.8 GPA and A+ in economics), so maybe that can prove that my quant is better than what the score says.

Thanks again. I will take a break and figure out after a month if I should retake... :)

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [1] , given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Baaaah! Gmat 700...retake or just focus on applications? [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 14:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Well, I'm just glad that I could be of some help! It's nice to see that you chose so quickly and calmly. I see so many hesitate until the last moment and then make hasty decisions or panic. It's also reassuring that you respect the essays. You will certainly have your hands full!

But while you're taking time off to focus on the essays, Bodine's Great Application Essays for Business School might help a bit. Some of the advice is obvious, but the book is affordable and did improve my essay writing skills. Maybe it will do the same for you. :wink:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Baaaah! Gmat 700...retake or just focus on applications? [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 14:25
THank you! Am going to order it now... :)

BSchool Thread Master
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 123

Re: Baaaah! Gmat 700...retake or just focus on applications? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 17:01
App time for you! I can't wait to throw my GMAT books away. I am so jealous.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Baaaah! Gmat 700...retake or just focus on applications? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 17:05
:) When do you take it?

Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 7

Re: Baaaah! Gmat 700...retake or just focus on applications? [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 14:24
Maybe you should post this question to the admission consultant section?

I reckon you could squeeze a few more points out of that quant score.

My Debrief

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 39

Re: Baaaah! Gmat 700...retake or just focus on applications? [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 17:31
When you decide to think about retaking again, I'd say don't do it unless you're coming into your next attempt better prepared than this one or the 700 isn't letting you sleep at night. Why? A 700 is just as good as a 710, 720, or 730 in almost anyone's book, so unless you feel confident you could get a 740+ you might just be spinning your wheels. Of course if you're practicing at a high 700s level coming into the exam it'd probably be worth it simply for the sake of putting your best foot forward (not necessarily for any distinct admissions advantage).

At the end of the day, I've gotten the impression from these forums that we're all in this not just to get into business school, but also to make ourselves proud of the work we put in. Nobody wants to submit an application with a typo in it and a GMAT score that's less than what we're capable of is just another "typo"--something that isn't representative of our profile.

My GMAT Experience: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-debrief-770-q50-v47-115912.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 35

Re: Baaaah! Gmat 700...retake or just focus on applications? [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2011, 17:15
I would only take it again if you think you can get around a 730 or better
Re: Baaaah! Gmat 700...retake or just focus on applications?   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2011, 17:15