Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Back-Up Schools & Profile Evaluation?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q V
GPA: 3.61
WE: Other (Retail)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Back-Up Schools & Profile Evaluation? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 09:35
Hi All,

Posted my profile on another site a few months back and got some great feedback. I just wondered if anyone had some good ideas for potential backup schools in case things don't go as planned. I am targeting Harvard, Chicago, and Stanford R1. I am a Canadian and would need a school that offers an international loan program that does not require a co-signer.

Here's my profile:

GMAT
740 (47 QA, 46 VA) AWA 6.0

Academics

University of Western Ontario - Richard Ivey School of Business HBA - 2007
GPA: 3.6

(Ivey is a top-tier business school in Canada. Obviously would not compare to the ivy league in the US but it's as good as it gets for undergrad in Canada).

Professional Experience

It's difficult to tell the whole story concisely in an online forum, but here goes...

Throughout high school I operated an internet retail sales business, offering sports video tapes and DVD's to customers around the world. I made good (although not life changing) money while going to school.

I used the profits from my first business to begin investing in real estate, which I did while I went to Ivey. After graduation, I sold my properties and closed the internet business.

I purchased my first franchise of an up and coming retail ice cream shop in 2007. Over the last four years, I have expanded incredibly quickly. At this point:

* I secured financing for, and as a result opened, seven different locations in just two and a half years
* My stores generate nearly $3,000,000 in revenue
* Employee over 100 (mostly part-time) employees (have some great leadership stories for this portion)
* I've had lots of rewarding experiences (leadership - growth - financing) and lots of bad experiences (partnerships gone wrong - cash flow challenges - relationship with head office) that I think would lend themselves well to a business school application

I should point out that a deal is on the table for the stores to be sold and I would not be owning them while going to school(and this would be made clear in the application).

Extracurriculars

* Pubic Speaking - I speak at universities and high schools about my adventures in entrepreneurship approximately 10 times per year
* Junior Achievement - I deliver programs to grade school children about business and entrepreneurship
* Marathon Running, Volleyball, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee
* Misc University clubs

Reference Letters

1. Entrepreneurship Professor from Ivey that I've stayed in contact with
2. Representative from Franchise head office
3. Fellow Franchisee in the system

Personal Life

Very humble background from a rural community in Ontario, first on my father's side to attend University.

I would appreciate any advice anyone could offer on my very unique profile!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Back-Up Schools & Profile Evaluation? [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 03:32
Hello There

Congrats on your Gmat score. With this score you can easily target top schools. However GMAT alone won’t determine your chances of admission; beyond the academics will also help you in determining your candidature and your work experience plays a vital role as well. How many years have you worked?

Generally most of the applicants have a good 4-5 years of work experience excluding several term time jobs while studying. Although it is not just the work experience that counts but also what you did there like-what were your achievements, what initiative you took, what changes you drove in your workplace etc. So to leverage this if you can show that in your years you have demonstrated the skills business schools are looking for you could put in a strong set of essays.

Hence the quality of your work, your academics and beyond academics will play an important role in determining your candidature. Make sure you follow the ‘show rather than tell’ principle so that the admissions committee could really understand your strengths and differentiating factors.”

Thanks!
Kavita Singh
FutureWorks Consulting
Pre Application Strategies|Admission Consulting |Pre-Departure Coaching|Workshops

Find out where you stand with our Free Assessment Test or drop your resume at kavita@futureworks.co.in

Director
Director
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 249

Re: Back-Up Schools & Profile Evaluation? [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 05:34
Nothing beats a canned response :roll:

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 6

Re: Back-Up Schools & Profile Evaluation? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 02:40
Hi,

You have a strong profile that is very unique. A few quality leadership and team stories will position you strongly. As you focus on the top schools, the key is being able to demsonstrate your goals after MBA and how the program at these schools can help you to that end. Remember, HBS, Booth and Stanford have very unique personalities and it is imperative that you demonstrate why you will be a good fit at those schools based on your past experiences and future goals.

Good Luck !!

Regards,
Neha Singh
General Education
http://www.general-ed.com

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Re: Back-Up Schools & Profile Evaluation?   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2011, 02:40