Joined: 19 Jul 2011
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q V
WE: Other (Retail)
, given: 1
Back-Up Schools & Profile Evaluation? [#permalink]
19 Jul 2011, 09:35
Posted my profile on another site a few months back and got some great feedback. I just wondered if anyone had some good ideas for potential backup schools in case things don't go as planned. I am targeting Harvard, Chicago, and Stanford R1. I am a Canadian and would need a school that offers an international loan program that does not require a co-signer.
Here's my profile:
740 (47 QA, 46 VA) AWA 6.0
Age: 27 at matriculation
University of Western Ontario - Richard Ivey School of Business HBA - 2007
(Ivey is a top-tier business school in Canada. Obviously would not compare to the ivy league in the US but it's as good as it gets for undergrad in Canada).
It's difficult to tell the whole story concisely in an online forum, but here goes...
Throughout high school I operated an internet retail sales business, offering sports video tapes and DVD's to customers around the world. I made good (although not life changing) money while going to school.
I used the profits from my first business to begin investing in real estate, which I did while I went to Ivey. After graduation, I sold my properties and closed the internet business.
I purchased my first franchise of an up and coming retail ice cream shop in 2007. Over the last four years, I have expanded incredibly quickly. At this point:
* I secured financing for, and as a result opened, seven different locations in just two and a half years
* My stores generate nearly $3,000,000 in revenue
* Employee over 100 (mostly part-time) employees (have some great leadership stories for this portion)
* I've had lots of rewarding experiences (leadership - growth - financing) and lots of bad experiences (partnerships gone wrong - cash flow challenges - relationship with head office) that I think would lend themselves well to a business school application
I should point out that a deal is on the table for the stores to be sold and I would not be owning them while going to school(and this would be made clear in the application).
* Pubic Speaking - I speak at universities and high schools about my adventures in entrepreneurship approximately 10 times per year
* Junior Achievement - I deliver programs to grade school children about business and entrepreneurship
* Marathon Running, Volleyball, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee
* Misc University clubs
1. Entrepreneurship Professor from Ivey that I've stayed in contact with
2. Representative from Franchise head office
3. Fellow Franchisee in the system
Very humble background from a rural community in Ontario, first on my father's side to attend University.
I would appreciate any advice anyone could offer on my very unique profile!