Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Background information: This year, each film submitted to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 3

Re: CR-films [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 13:54
This post received
KUDOS
This is kind of an inference + paradox question so the correct answer must be consistent with both fact 1 and fact 2. Since this is an inference question, we do not really need to use a negation technique. We only use negation technique on assumption questions in general. It is almost like a paradox question since fact 1 and fact 2 doesn't seems to be compatible with each other. If you have the same acceptance rate for each categories then why did the domestic film have a higher overall rate of acceptance than foreign film.

When you are faced with difficult CR question, there are two things you can do, first try to use your intuition and logic to get through a problem (it'll save you time), if that doesn't work then use a process of elimination since you don't have the whole day to ponder upon the logic behind this stimulus.

I got through this question by using a process of elimination + a little bit of intuition.

Answer choice A & C doesn't really address the issue in regards to the rate of acceptance. Therefore, we could quickly ruled them out.

Answer choice B (tricky choice): this is a trap by the test writer, it sounds correct but its not. This answer choice is consistent with fact #1. However, it is inconsistent with fact #2. In this question, we care about the rate of acceptance, not a total number of acceptance between two group. Try to use a number to illustrate this question.

Answer choice D: this again doesn't address the issue of the rate of acceptance. We don't care about the "requirement". We want to know why is there a slight discrepancy between fact 1 and fact 2.

Answer choice E is correct because it address the acceptance rate. Sunny has an amazing explanation to E. here it is:

' If most foreign films were submitted to the low acceptance categories, unlike domestic films, then this accounts for the overall low rate for foreign films while still maintaining that domestic rate equal foreign in each category.

for sake of simplicity we have 100 foreign and 100 domestic films. There are 5 high acceptance(20%) and 5 low acceptance categories(10%).

80 foreign films were nominated in the 5 low acceptance groups evenly, 16 each, 10% means just under 1.6 film per category, so in all 8 foreign films.
and say 20 domestic films were nominated in these categories evenly. 4 each and 10% would mean 0.4 films per cat and total of 2 domestic films.

For the high category, we have 80(16 in each) domestic and 20(4 in each) foreign films. 20 % would mean around 16 total domestic and 4 total foreign.

Total domestic - 18
Total Foreign - 12

Overall Domestic > Overall Foreign.

The numbers are jumbled up but I guess we get the picture." Bravo! Sunny

This is why E is correct.

p.s. I would encourage you guys to look at the correct answer which is on the "reveal" link before you post the explanation. This would really help minimizing the confusion in this explanation forum. The O.G answer key is E, so no one should argue why B is correct unless the O.G is wrong. But this is not a case on this question.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 6

Re: CR-films [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 15:30
good question. took quite some time to understand that OA should be E.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 2

Re: CR-films [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2011, 08:29
B is correct I felt..but E seems more comprehensive and correct!

Fight till you succeed like a gladiator..or doom your life which can be invincible

Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR-films [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2011, 06:23
E..is my answer

Kaustubh

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 27

Re: CR-films [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 06:36
It's E! Straightforward! It came down to a tie between D and E, but E had the likelihood of being correct to higher degree.

petrifiedbutstanding

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Marketing (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 58

Re: Background information: This year, each film submitted to [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 05:08
Good question.. I was able to eliminate 3 wrong choices but eliminated the right choice like most of times i do.

I did not notice acceptance so choose B.

“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 33

Re: Background information: This year, each film submitted to [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 18:55
it is clear that either B or E is the AO.

Looking at the nature of these statements, I will choose B. because B resolves the paradox. allow both the facts to be true whereas option E gives more importance to second fact.

looking at the official Resolve the paradox question, one can come to know that AOs which support only statement and destroy the other are incorrect.
AO which resolves the paradox, ie which allows both the statements to be true is correct.

AO E also looks like an intelligent incorrect AO.

Encourage me by pressing the KUDOS if you find my post to be helpful.

Help me win "The One Thing You Wish You Knew - GMAT Club Contest"
the-one-thing-you-wish-you-knew-gmat-club-contest-140358.html#p1130989

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Background information: This year, each film submitted to [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 02:02
Missed this one. Felt this one was really tough for me. Came down to between D and E and chose D. :(

My attempt to capture my B-School Journey in a Blog : tranquilnomadgmat.blogspot.com

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 12

Re: Background information: This year, each film submitted to [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 12:04
Excellent question! I went for the trap answer. But finally chose E. :idea:

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 03-14-2014
GPA: 3.42

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 59

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Background information: This year, each film submitted to [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2014, 23:26
Let's make it simple.

Let there be a total of 100 domestic and foreign films.

Lets there be 2 categories- One with High acceptance(50%) and the other with Low acceptance(10%).

If 80 foreign are submitted to Low acceptance(10%) category and 20 to High acceptance(50%) category, TOTAL ACCEPTANCE=8+10=18

If 70 domestic films are submitted to High acceptance(50%) category and 30 to Low acceptance(10%) category, TOTAL ACCEPTANCE=35+3=38

Therefore E.

Best GMAT Resources downloads-
collection-of-the-best-gmat-resources-167295.html#p1329720

May we all emerge victorious :)

Re: Background information: This year, each film submitted to   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2014, 23:26