Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 03:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bad Attitude

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2007
Posts: 59
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 12:59
mNeo wrote:
dosa_don wrote:
Well I personally think that the whole 'stellar' essays thing is a little misleading.


I agree. Stellar essays mean nothing without stellar stories or background.


I disagree mNeo. No one verifies stories from your background.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 707
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 13:07
anadimisra wrote:
mNeo wrote:
dosa_don wrote:
Well I personally think that the whole 'stellar' essays thing is a little misleading.


I agree. Stellar essays mean nothing without stellar stories or background.


I disagree mNeo. No one verifies stories from your background.



Great point.

Also, delivery is the most important aspect in communication. It's not what you say. It's how you say it.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Posts: 1097
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 13:38
anadimisra wrote:
mNeo wrote:
dosa_don wrote:
Well I personally think that the whole 'stellar' essays thing is a little misleading.


I agree. Stellar essays mean nothing without stellar stories or background.


I disagree mNeo. No one verifies stories from your background.


Well, even a made up story can make an essay stellar. But it is still the story making the essay stellar, not just the way of delivery. I am not trying to weigh how many people completely make up stories for essays. Hopefully not a lot of them. But, what I am saying is that without content, your "way of delivery" is not as valuable. We end up focusing too heavily on where each sentence should go, how many words our essay should have etc instead of focusing on the content of the essay.

Think about it .. if you are an amazing essay writer, but you have absolutely no stories to tell, then will you be able to convince MIT adcom? Check MIT's essays .. and tell me how can anybody write admit-worthy essays without strong stories (Made up or not). What kind of amazing essays can you write without content anyway?
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 695 [1] , given: 5

 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 14:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
mNeo wrote:
anadimisra wrote:
mNeo wrote:
dosa_don wrote:
Well I personally think that the whole 'stellar' essays thing is a little misleading.


I agree. Stellar essays mean nothing without stellar stories or background.


I disagree mNeo. No one verifies stories from your background.


Well, even a made up story can make an essay stellar. But it is still the story making the essay stellar, not just the way of delivery. I am not trying to weigh how many people completely make up stories for essays. Hopefully not a lot of them. But, what I am saying is that without content, your "way of delivery" is not as valuable. We end up focusing too heavily on where each sentence should go, how many words our essay should have etc instead of focusing on the content of the essay.

Think about it .. if you are an amazing essay writer, but you have absolutely no stories to tell, then will you be able to convince MIT adcom? Check MIT's essays .. and tell me how can anybody write admit-worthy essays without strong stories (Made up or not). What kind of amazing essays can you write without content anyway?


Remember MIT also does not have blind interviews. They are performed by adcoms who know your application very well. Also they use behavioral interviews, so its pretty much a sure bet that they are going to dig into your essays. During my visit they talked about a girl whose essays they loved and were going to admit until they interviewed her and it was obvious that she had written what she felt they wanted to hear even though she had no clue beyond what she wrote.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2007
Posts: 256
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 14:14
riverripper wrote:
mNeo wrote:
anadimisra wrote:
mNeo wrote:
dosa_don wrote:
Well I personally think that the whole 'stellar' essays thing is a little misleading.


I agree. Stellar essays mean nothing without stellar stories or background.


I disagree mNeo. No one verifies stories from your background.


Well, even a made up story can make an essay stellar. But it is still the story making the essay stellar, not just the way of delivery. I am not trying to weigh how many people completely make up stories for essays. Hopefully not a lot of them. But, what I am saying is that without content, your "way of delivery" is not as valuable. We end up focusing too heavily on where each sentence should go, how many words our essay should have etc instead of focusing on the content of the essay.

Think about it .. if you are an amazing essay writer, but you have absolutely no stories to tell, then will you be able to convince MIT adcom? Check MIT's essays .. and tell me how can anybody write admit-worthy essays without strong stories (Made up or not). What kind of amazing essays can you write without content anyway?


Remember MIT also does not have blind interviews. They are performed by adcoms who know your application very well. Also they use behavioral interviews, so its pretty much a sure bet that they are going to dig into your essays. During my visit they talked about a girl whose essays they loved and were going to admit until they interviewed her and it was obvious that she had written what she felt they wanted to hear even though she had no clue beyond what she wrote.


did this girl want to go into the automotive industry?
if so, i heard the same story
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Posts: 1097
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 14:28
Absolutely. We all polish our candidacy a bit in applications and in resumes in general. We all try to take too much credit for successes that we may not be solely responsible for. I will always try to highlight how innovative I am even if "naming my future kid mNeo Jr." is the most innovative thing that I ever did.

But there has to be a limit. If you are starting the next stage of your life with a (set of) big lie, then you are not having a very strong foundation. Meh, I guess I went overboard with idealism there. But I think you know what I mean.

Last edited by mNeo on 05 Dec 2007, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 695 [0], given: 5

 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 14:29
CookieMonster wrote:
riverripper wrote:
mNeo wrote:
anadimisra wrote:
mNeo wrote:
dosa_don wrote:
Well I personally think that the whole 'stellar' essays thing is a little misleading.


I agree. Stellar essays mean nothing without stellar stories or background.


I disagree mNeo. No one verifies stories from your background.


Well, even a made up story can make an essay stellar. But it is still the story making the essay stellar, not just the way of delivery. I am not trying to weigh how many people completely make up stories for essays. Hopefully not a lot of them. But, what I am saying is that without content, your "way of delivery" is not as valuable. We end up focusing too heavily on where each sentence should go, how many words our essay should have etc instead of focusing on the content of the essay.

Think about it .. if you are an amazing essay writer, but you have absolutely no stories to tell, then will you be able to convince MIT adcom? Check MIT's essays .. and tell me how can anybody write admit-worthy essays without strong stories (Made up or not). What kind of amazing essays can you write without content anyway?


Remember MIT also does not have blind interviews. They are performed by adcoms who know your application very well. Also they use behavioral interviews, so its pretty much a sure bet that they are going to dig into your essays. During my visit they talked about a girl whose essays they loved and were going to admit until they interviewed her and it was obvious that she had written what she felt they wanted to hear even though she had no clue beyond what she wrote.


did this girl want to go into the automotive industry?
if so, i heard the same story


I am pretty sure thats what it was. I recall the guy saying he asked her something about Toyota and she just stared blankly at him.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 14

 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 15:27
zakk wrote:
pfffft. I can't wait for your "I got accepted to every school, how do I make a choice" thread.

:-D


pppshaw... :wink:

I wish... I only wish. :?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 19:21
riverripper wrote:
CookieMonster wrote:
riverripper wrote:
mNeo wrote:
anadimisra wrote:
mNeo wrote:
dosa_don wrote:
Well I personally think that the whole 'stellar' essays thing is a little misleading.


I agree. Stellar essays mean nothing without stellar stories or background.


I disagree mNeo. No one verifies stories from your background.


Well, even a made up story can make an essay stellar. But it is still the story making the essay stellar, not just the way of delivery. I am not trying to weigh how many people completely make up stories for essays. Hopefully not a lot of them. But, what I am saying is that without content, your "way of delivery" is not as valuable. We end up focusing too heavily on where each sentence should go, how many words our essay should have etc instead of focusing on the content of the essay.

Think about it .. if you are an amazing essay writer, but you have absolutely no stories to tell, then will you be able to convince MIT adcom? Check MIT's essays .. and tell me how can anybody write admit-worthy essays without strong stories (Made up or not). What kind of amazing essays can you write without content anyway?


Remember MIT also does not have blind interviews. They are performed by adcoms who know your application very well. Also they use behavioral interviews, so its pretty much a sure bet that they are going to dig into your essays. During my visit they talked about a girl whose essays they loved and were going to admit until they interviewed her and it was obvious that she had written what she felt they wanted to hear even though she had no clue beyond what she wrote.


did this girl want to go into the automotive industry?
if so, i heard the same story


I am pretty sure thats what it was. I recall the guy saying he asked her something about Toyota and she just stared blankly at him.


Yep, I was told the same when I visited MIT. Story of a girl who blew it during interview...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 299
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2007, 08:45
Nsentra wrote:
rhyme wrote:
heck I know one guy who just called up his Fraternity president and got him to say he'd been actively involved for years in their community service activities, even gave him a "title"-


that's pretty disturbing actually (and I come from Eastern bloc). i would hope that when I work on a team with MBA students in one of the top institutions there is some threshold of integrity.


Sorry, but this sort of corruption is found all over the place. I believe the eastern bloc has plenty of it no? Well, my bet is that MOST of the people you meet will have integrity, and this is just one example.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 707
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2007, 08:57
defenestrate wrote:
Nsentra wrote:
rhyme wrote:
heck I know one guy who just called up his Fraternity president and got him to say he'd been actively involved for years in their community service activities, even gave him a "title"-


that's pretty disturbing actually (and I come from Eastern bloc). i would hope that when I work on a team with MBA students in one of the top institutions there is some threshold of integrity.


Sorry, but this sort of corruption is found all over the place. I believe the eastern bloc has plenty of it no? Well, my bet is that MOST of the people you meet will have integrity, and this is just one example.


What do you mean by eastern bloc?

It doesn't have to be blatant corruption. How many b school applicants really like volunteering or waking up early every saturday to tutor kids?

Not many I assume.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 908
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

 [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2007, 10:27
Eastern Bloc refers to the former Soviet Union and its former Eastern and Central European allies (e.g. Poland, Romania, East Germany, Hungary, former Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria).
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 505
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2007, 03:42
1
This post received
KUDOS
It's one thing to have ulterior motives when doing an activity be it volunteering etc. but it's entirely different to exaggerate or falsify activities. I don't think an applicant's geographic origin matters, there is corruption everywhere. Personally, I think it's fine to finesse accomplishments a little (paint them in the best light) but if an applicant falsifies accomplishments to get into bschool it reflects poorly on his/her ethics.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2007
Posts: 570
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 3

 [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2007, 09:26
shmegs wrote:
if an applicant falsifies accomplishments to get into bschool it reflects poorly on his/her ethics.


Not to mention the fact that it makes the people who actually did something look like they did nothing extraordinary.
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

Re: Bad Attitude [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 09:08
hope some of you can carry johnnyx9's fine legacy on gmatclub forward.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 14

Re: Bad Attitude [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 16:11
wow... forgot how great this thread was. Keep it up, GMATClub class of 2010!
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2006
Posts: 1560
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 1

Re: Bad Attitude [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 16:34
Wow. Another reason why I was so addicted to this club then.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2009
Posts: 685
Schools: Ross 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: Bad Attitude [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 19:46
Man, this thread rocks! I was in the middle of reading this on my iPhone, and it was low on batteries, so I had to turn my computer back on to keep reading this. Makes me feel better that I'm not the only poor schmuck going through this crap.
_________________

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Bad Attitude [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 21:47
The Adcom Equations:

1)
We're looking for a diverse group of students

+

It's really important that you "fit" our culture

=

We want applicants from all over the world, from every industry, department, ethnic background, sex, etc...in order to compare more applicants, lower our acceptance rate, and move up in the rankings

2)
We are looking for individuals with sufficient professional experience and a clear track record of promotions

+

Did you know you don't need any work experience to apply!

=

We want applicants from all over the world, from every industry, department, ethnic background, sex, AGE, etc...in order to compare more applicants, lower our acceptance rate, and move up in the rankings

3)
At our school, our dedicated staff and faculty promote forward thinking and participation in our close-knit community that prepares individuals to be action-oriented leaders.

+

Please tell us why you applied to our school (remember you can't use the word "ranking")

=

HAHAHAHAHAHA, try to answer that one you suckers!!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2010
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 10:31
shmegs wrote:
It's one thing to have ulterior motives when doing an activity be it volunteering etc. but it's entirely different to exaggerate or falsify activities. I don't think an applicant's geographic origin matters, there is corruption everywhere. Personally, I think it's fine to finesse accomplishments a little (paint them in the best light) but if an applicant falsifies accomplishments to get into bschool it reflects poorly on his/her ethics.


I had to register to ask if you seen the "Impossible Is Nothing" (2006) Aleksey Vayner meme? If not I highly recommend you google it and get a good laugh. It's a video resume that is larger-than-life.
Re:   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2010, 10:31
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Around three centuries ago, the prevailing attitude in most umeshpatil 5 23 May 2013, 04:12
Experts publish their posts in the topic Attitude carcass 5 13 Mar 2013, 12:21
How to find the authors attitude towards passage? vaivish1723 3 11 Jul 2009, 10:50
American attitudes tend to be rather insular, but there is Ravshonbek 12 16 Nov 2007, 15:09
RC: author’s attitude toward something in the passage gmatmilitary 1 03 Jul 2007, 12:20
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Bad Attitude

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7    Next  [ 139 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.