Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 15:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bad Attitude

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2007, 06:53
lhmcjen wrote:
Is this whole thing pretty phony and hooky...absolutely! But it seems to me that it representative of most job interviews.....Bob, tell me about a time when you solved a probelm,, hahaha.. no different, just a big stupid game that must be played to achieve the end goal.. but it becomes really painful to go through it no doubt.

When I started this whole process my father gave me one piece of advice that has rang true throughout it, "Sometimes you have to fake it to make it."
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2007, 06:56
This post received
KUDOS
Tell me about it. I once asked an AdComm member during an information session to give us an example of when an applicant "wasn't himself" (as they always love to say).

Needless to say, she couldn't.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1540 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2007, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
gmatclb wrote:
rhyme wrote:
Wow what a thread. It's funny in a sense, I had been thinking about this over the last few weeks. Now that I've been through it, I realize just what a pile of bullshit the whole process is - from applicant to adcom. The number of applicants I've seen take on roles solely for the purpose of admission, who really don't care - heck I know one guy who just called up his Fraternity president and got him to say he'd been actively involved for years in their community service activities, even gave him a "title"- all the way to the adcoms that preach GMAT doesn't matter but the numbers speak for themselves. Just find the Kellogg thread, there's absolutely no question that GMAT plays a huge role. Unless you believe that the GMAT is actually a great predictor of ability - and thus those with high GMAT scores will likely have better careers and better essays - there's absolutely no question that the numbers do 100% play into the whole thing. I'm tired of hearing from adcoms that GMAT "is just one piece" - its like my telling you the engine of my car is just "one piece". Sure, thats true, but without it, I'm not going very far am I? Just be honest and say "Yea, its just one piece, but if it's not good, your odds are slim. Not impossible, but substantially harder. We care because it affects our rank, so we need to be careful with GMAT scores." That would seem to be a much more honest answer.

Which Kellogg thread are you referring to? The R2 thread? I just read it and don't see anything referring to the GMAT.

Post a link?

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... hlight=640

It's a long thread. If you want the gist of it, read my first post, then my second post and then read pelihu's post where he argues yield spreads are likely much larger (which I agree with).

In short what you end up with is statistical evidence, even assuming a flat yield curve (which is totally not reasonable) - the odds of admittance with a <640 score are 10% or worse, and with a 750 or above 42% or better.
If you look at pelihu's post, its more like 7% or worse, and 52% or better.

The concept that GMAT is "just one piece" is clearly debunked - regardless of whether or not you assume flat yields across.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2007, 07:10
Best thread ever!

We want to add diversification to the class - We want everyone all around the world to submit their apps, so we can earn more money.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2007, 07:15
This post received
KUDOS
I get the whole thing that it's just a song-and-dance like a job interview, but the truly annoying part is the holier-than-thou attitude from ad-coms where you get stupid contradictions like "well obviously we want the candidates to just be themselves, we want essays that show who they are, what do they enjoy doing, how they have dealt with setbacks or weaknesses, and maybe a general idea of what they want to do with their career, we know people change careers 7 times,"

while out of the other side of their mouth they're saying,

"We look for people who can show they are natural-born leaders, superhuman creatures that can see through walls and build orphanages with one hand tied behind their back, we don't want people that don't know exactly what they want to do, we want people who can tell us where they will be living when they're 50, and what the third line of their W2 will look like on July 1st 2015."
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1540 [2] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2007, 07:18
This post received
KUDOS
standard wrote:
Best thread ever!

We want to add diversification to the class - We want everyone all around the world to submit their apps, so we can earn more money.

Its not about the money. This is peanuts in the end guys. It's about acceptance rate and percieved eliteness. They encourage as many applicants as possible to apply because it makes the school appear more competitive. This isn't just for grad programs, they do it undergrad too. In fact, I was just having a conversation yesterday with an admissions director who was telling me about how they moved to a common app "in order to bring in more applications and bring our admit % down a bit". She then smiled and said "And get our rank up!".
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2007, 07:25
Obviously everyone who appears for the GMAT and applies to B schools is a masochist. More so for international applicants. Why would they do it otherwise :-)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2007, 07:26
This post received
KUDOS
rhyme wrote:
standard wrote:
Best thread ever!

Its not about the money. This is peanuts in the end guys. It's about acceptance rate and percieved eliteness. They encourage as many applicants as possible to apply because it makes the school appear more competitive. This isn't just for grad programs, they do it undergrad too. In fact, I was just having a conversation yesterday with an admissions director who was telling me about how they moved to a common app "in order to bring in more applications and bring our admit % down a bit". She then smiled and said "And get our rank up!".

My next best guess. However, there is a dilemma. Most people do not submit to the hardest-to-get-in schools. Why? Because they think that the application will be dinged, probably.

That's my view, it might be wrong.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2007, 07:41
This post received
KUDOS
I don't know what you mean by "most people," but certainly enough apply to Harvard and company so that HBS can maintain its 13% acceptance rate (or whatever it is). Any way you slice it, there are PLENTY of people applying.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2007, 07:43
aaudetat wrote:
I don't know what you mean by "most people," but certainly enough apply to Harvard and company so that HBS can maintain its 13% acceptance rate (or whatever it is). Any way you slice it, there are PLENTY of people applying.

OK I meant "many" there.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2007, 08:55
rhyme wrote:

One of the top business schools hired its own student to get the %employed after graduation move up :twisted: I so want to sit in an ethics class at that school.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2007, 00:45
Awesome thread!
I was ROFLing my way through. Each post here deserves a Booker! :D
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2007, 10:51
I am sure there must be some collges to give interview invite to people who are otherwise deadmeat and then ding them so they will reapply again and many with siilar profiles would apply thereby generating hype and good figures(selectivity etc)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2007, 14:10
This post received
KUDOS
I agree that a lot of it is b.s. If you work in certain industries or in certain types of high stress jobs you just don't have the time to devote to meaningful extracurricular activities. I think it is really crappy to hold something like that against someone, especially if they were involved in activities in college/grad school.

Assuming I do get in to Chicago and/or Kellogg off of their respective Wait Lists, I will post a rant highlighting the things about the process that are nonsensical (from my point of view).
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2007, 09:56
This post received
KUDOS
Funny thing. I totally hear you, however this didn't make me mad :) I may be a moron (and I'm quite sure I screwed a hell lot of opportunities because of that), but I NEVER fake things. I believe you can't be happy on a job, or college, or whatever that accepted your "beautified copy". Either they take me the way I am - with all my cr@p, - or we just say goodbye, why waste each other's time.

So no, I didn't "tell what they wanted to hear" anywhere. I did structure it in a way they request, but nothing more. My integrity costs more than the gawddamn school can offer.

...we'll see if this approach wins me anything...
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2007, 14:09
BUMP!

Browsing through some old posts to let off some steam and found this gem. Look for batchgmat's question to an ad-com. That was frigging awesome.
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2007, 14:10
batchgmat wrote:
Tell me about it. I once asked an AdComm member during an information session to give us an example of when an applicant "wasn't himself" (as they always love to say).

Needless to say, she couldn't.

Fricking crazy!
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2007, 14:15
I certainly can relate to this thread. I am getting burned out. Only my stubborn determination keeps driving me along.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2007, 14:48
Wow ...excellent thread to bring up now.
There ain't a better way to vent this out ... I just hope the results are sweet enough to neutralise this bitterness ...
Until then, I'll fool myself that I'm not bitter to keep myself going !
Current Student
Followers: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2007, 14:54
These adcom goons probably all have HR backgrounds...

I think Montauk, that retard even says so in his book.
  [#permalink] 04 Dec 2007, 14:54