Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 06:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

BAD GMAT Experience and Unlike any Prep. material

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

BAD GMAT Experience and Unlike any Prep. material [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2004, 20:27
Hello to everyone.

I appeared for the GMAT this past Monday and was surprised to find the GMAT much harder than any other prep. tests that I had given during my preparation for the GMAT. The PR, POWERPREP, and especially the KAPLAN tests on the CD are a joke in front of the actual GMAT. I am not trying to scare anyone, but at least this is how I feel. The fourth question that I got on my Quant. was one of the hardest prob. questions that I have ever encountered in my life; this given my two engineering degrees from a top 10 eng. school in the USA. The prob. question threw me off and I had to guess the last 10-12 questions on my Q section. Unfortunately, due to confidentiality reasons I cannot post the dreary prob. question.

After seeing my actual GMAT score (480) I almost wanted to suicide and not be part of this world, since the lowest score I got using the prep. tests was 540 (kaplan) and the highest was 720. I am not sure what to do and how to study given my pathetic performance? I have exhausted all of the best material available for the GMAT prep., namely, the OG (I repeated the DS, SC, and CR twice), Kaplan, and PR.

Has anyone found the KAPLAN course, one that is offered in the class and costs ~$1500, to be of any help? I have registered for the course out of desperation. I do not want to give up and live the rest of my life with an ugly 480 on my GMAT.

Can any one please give me some advice on what should I do?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2004, 01:04
Spiderman:
I am really sorry to read about your experience. The only thing I can say right now is ..relax!!!!
This silly exam should not generate words such as suicide !!!!
common buddy, it's just a computer exam..
Probably you were not fully prepared, didnt work closely on your weaknesses and had a bad day in the exam.
I would suggest you to take a break.. prepare very very hard this time.. doing many tests and questions would not help much unless you understand your errors and work on them closely..
Dont get desperate and jump on things..
Good luck
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

RE: your score [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2004, 01:21
Dear Spiderman,

That hard probability problem might have been an experimental question. Also, you might have gotten a few of the early questions wrong (?)

I was rattled during my last test also and had to guess on the last 10-15 questions. Consequently my score went down several points from my first try. I cried on my way home. So I could relate to what you're feeling.

Can you post the percentages of the OG questions that you got right for each section? Maybe we could help you figure out what you need to work on.

I suggest that you take a few days off to clear your mind.

Remember, it's really not the end of the world (although it may feel like it right now). We're here for you.

Sincerely,

Questor
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2004, 09:43
Crackgmat750,
Thank you for your advice. I guess I need to work more and concentrate on my weakness. I am very comfortable with the math section, except the hard prob. and combination questions. I will try to be active in this forum cause I only knew about it two weeks prior to my exam and had not utilized it appropriately.

I do not believe my first three questions were wrong, I am confident that they were right. My 4th question was what stumped me and really what I have learned now is that to NOT SPEND time on a question if you cannot solve it, even if it is your first few question and matters the most. The question that I got on my actual GMAT has already been discussed in this form (link below). After looking at the question, please let me know whether you think if the question is hard, moderate, or easy, as I think it is very hard.

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... nic+record

Questor: Thank you for your remarks. As a matter of fact, i did not find the OG guides math questions to be hard at all, the exception were the last 60-70 DS questions. I have to admit that the OG was a piece of cake in front of the actual GMAT, at least the Q part.

Has anyone of you had any experience taking the KAPLAN course? Is it good?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2004, 10:00
Hi spiderman and sorry about your bad experience. I would suggest you to go through many of the inspiring posts in the "share your GMAT experience" and "GMAT" forums. In terms to the Kaplan class, check out this link: http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4059

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2004, 10:32
Paul wrote:
Hi spiderman and sorry about your bad experience. I would suggest you to go through many of the inspiring posts in the "share your GMAT experience" and "GMAT" forums. In terms to the Kaplan class, check out this link: http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4059

Paul,
Thanks. What is a SWOT analysis?

regards
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2004, 11:49
Strengths
Weaknesses
Opportunities