Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bad GMAT Experience, will it affect my chances 4top schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Bad GMAT Experience, will it affect my chances 4top schools? [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2004, 08:17
Hi,

I took the GMAT a few weeks ago and got a low score (540), this was due to the fact that the test centre location was changed without notification (had checked the Thursday previous and had the actual test the following Monday). This meant I had to take a taxi with a few other test-takers to the new test location across London with 10 mins to the start of the test! As a result, I was uncomposed during test taking. :!: :x

I obviously have no choice but to retake and apply in round 2, and have subsequently schedhuled the next test... Presumingly if I get the score I desire, 650-710 and assuming I'm competitive in other areas of my application. Would the admission committee of Harvard, Wharton, Stanford look on low score favourably with the explanation? I know the schools proclaim they take the highest or the score put forward on the application form, but since they recieve on all scores, will my very low score put me at a disadvantage?

Would appreciate your views.

Also pasted my draft CV and your views whether my experience is adequate for the top business schools. I'm a younger applicant, will turn 24 just before matriculation in Fall 2005.

EDUCATION
UNIVERSITY OF BRITSOL Bristol, UK
Bachelor of Engineering, Electrical Engineering (Concentration on Electronics & Communications) Upper Second Class.
Graduated with honours (top 20% of class) .Equivalent GPA of 3.5.

WORK EXPERIENCE
QINETIQ (formerly DERA) Ministry of Defence Boscombe Down, UK
Systems Engineering technical Consultant: 2004-present
Consulting on wide range of complex defence capability programmes, applying systems engineering & smart procurement methods. Preparing Integrated Test, Evaluation & Acceptance (ITEA) requirement reports.

Systems Engineering Researcher (Airbus, Uni of Bath, CAA): 2004-2005
Department of Trade & Industry funded collaborative study introducing Modelling and Simulation (M&S) into military & commercial aircraft certification process.
- Developing guidance on information presentation & acceptance of M&S results for manufacturers & certification authorities. Capturing stakeholder requirements & process mapping manufacturer-certifier supplier chain.
- Investigating M&S evaluation strategies, fault tree review, Verification, Validation & Accreditation of models.
- Developing and monitoring Pilot project in the evaluation & refinement of proposed guidance. Prepared & presented research technical reports, & presentations.

QinetiQ Kilimanjaro Expedition Founder & Leader: 2003-2004
Management: Defined & presented poverty reduction vision & formed expedition leadership team.
- Pitched business case to senior management & raised £28,000 in expedition finance across all divisions.
- Recruited & trained a diverse team of 24, representative of all QinetiQ divisions and career levels.
Delivery: Executed 14 day expedition (incl. climb & cultural awareness visits), acting as guide & translator.
- Achieved 71% team summit (5895m) success rate.
- Provided structured team-working & leadership learning framework whilst on the mountain.
Public Relations & Fund raising: Coordinated fund raising initiatives & strategies to support Kabale Science lab project.
- Lead team to achieve over £10,000 in fund raisers for Kabale Secondary school science laboratories.
- Formed partnership between UK school and Kabale for long-term science mutual support.
- Acting webmaster, produced expedition report, posters and presentation material and in-house media articles.
Awards: Most enteprising graduate development event toward engineering chartership- QinetiQ HR Director

Graduate Development in Aircraft Test & Evaluation 2002-2003
Systems Assurance: Developed multidisciplinary engineering & human factors assessment skills in aircraft systems addressing safety & performance.
- Used Goal Structured Notation techniques & DOORS database in requirements capture & forming integrated evaluation strategy. Acted as facilitator between subject matter experts at meetings & workshops.
Software Developer: Worked in a small team as principal graphics researcher, developed 3D-visualisation upgrade to flight tests analysis tool .Disseminated research knowledge in presentations, short tutorials & report/reference manuals) to software development team to ensure development continuity.

TANconsult Ltd, consulting engineers & planner, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Summer internships: 1998, 2001
- Adviced on company procurement, installation, maintenance & training of computer systems.
- Engineering experience on construction of PPF tower (current highest building in Tanzania), including installation of lift system with contractors (ABB & OTIS)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Training: Empire Test Pilot School short courses in flight trials planning, system evaluation and safety argument structuring. Consulting core skills courses, requirements engineering, systems engineering.
Affiliations: QinetiQ Cortex- The Graduate Network- Member, attended biannual conferences 2003-2004, Institute of Electrical Engineers Member , Britain-Tanzania Society, Tanzania Development Trust- Member. International Conuncil on Systems Engineering Member.
Extra-Curricular Activities: Tennis, rugby, golf, african safari & mountain trekking expeditions.
[b]Languages:
Fluent in English & Kiswahili. Basic French & Spanish.
Interests: [/b]Extentensive US, UK & East Africa travel, science & technology influence on poverty reduction, 3rd world education.

Last edited by Mbwana on 15 Oct 2004, 08:30, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2004, 08:27
The low score would probably be disregarded, especially if the second score is much higher (e.g. 1+ SD).

You should also contact GMAC and inform them of the lack of proper notice regarding the change of the test center.

Hjort