Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 21:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bad verbal - 680 Q46V37

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: R1 - Kellogg, Tuck (W), Yale, Cornell, R2- Haas, Ross, R3 - Foster
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Bad verbal - 680 Q46V37 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 16:10
Hi All,

I finally took the real GMAT after preparing for two months - and my verbal score is really surprising considering I always scored more than 42 in all the practice tests I took, be it GMAT Prep, Manhattan or Kaplan. While attempting verbal, I thought I was doing extremely well. I could answer all the RC passages, CRs and Scs and I was expecting a score of 42 or above. I have always done better in verbal than quant, so this result is very shocking. I was hoping to get Q44V46 with 720/730, but bad verbal score has spoiled it for me:( Though I don't think I am going to take the test again, I am too drained out for that!

Anyhow for the benefit of other test takers, quant was very similar to GMAT Prep and I don't think it is more difficult than GMAT prep, it is pretty much at the same level. I got a lot of ratios, proportion, interest, percentage kind of questions. Then ofcourse a lot of inequalities, overlapping sets (got four of those). Verbal was easy initially but slowly it got tougher - the RC passages were short and very easy to answer, SC looked ok too but I did get a few tough CRs (just to add that I have cracked tougher CRs).

I want to apply for the first round, so I guess I will start working on other aspects of my application - essays and recommendations. But does anyone have any thoughts about my chances in top 10-15 schools - I have eight plus years of experience in media and communication and I have led communications campaigns for global non profit organisations, and one such campaign has received all the international accolades possible including an award from the United Nations. I am confident of receiving good recommendations from my manager and my clients(if required).

Before 680 - I was thinking of:

1. Wharton
2. Kellogg
3. Haas
4. Tuck
5. Yale
6. Cornell
7. UCLA Andersen

Please let me know the schools I should add or remove from my list. Thanks so much!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Bad verbal - 680 Q46V37 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 19:17
recs from clients probably won't do much good. a 680 is a competitive score at the top 10-20 programs, and presumably at the top 10 if you can differentiate from "the pack" with your work experience or classes since graduating. undergrad gpa of course a factor which your post doesnt mention i believe.

gmat is not the most important thing. it's an early hurdle they glance at and it's competitive at all schools is my guess. it won't knock you out of any program in and of itself i don't think.
Intern
Intern

Re: Bad verbal - 680 Q46V37 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 20:33
Hey thanks for your response...I am an Indian and I have first class in all my undergrad and grad courses. My undergrad institution was one of the top ten colleges of India. But grad institute was just about ok. I think my work experience could set me apart a little as I have some good leadership experience and have won several awards for that in my field.
Intern
Intern

Re: Bad verbal - 680 Q46V37 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2008, 15:07
yeah sounds like you'll be ok. keep in mind that indian IT guys are a demographic in and of themselves these days at our (american) b-schools. for all the problems with my country, and there are a LOT, we still have probably the best overall higher education system in the world. no one can really compete with the depth of talent and funding of our universities overall.

the problem for indian it guys is that they're stereotyped by adcoms as insane overachievers as people who put way too much emphasis, generally speaking, on things in the application that can be quantified, namely:

GMAT
GPA

If you look at averages at top american b-schools 10 years ago and today there has been a huge huge huge increase in those average scores. At the same time, the indian IT guys have been coming in over the walls. coincidence? maybe. but my gut tells me no.

so you guys are making it harder for the rest of us to clear the academic hurdles. the flip side for you guys is, you MUST have VERY high numbers (like, indian IT guys are expected to have mid 700 GMAT and a perfect GPA) to make up for the fact that there are just so many of you with the same application otherwise. it seems to me that something in indian culture leads indian folks to study and do nothing else. that's ok, but if you're an admissions officer on application 4,659 on a friday afternoon...do you really want to see another indian it guy with a 700 GMAT and 4.0 GPA talking about computer stuff in his essays? i know i wouldn't.

i encourage you to get involved with extracurriculars and management experience. for an indian it guy, high GMAT just won't do anything without the management or leadership experience. good luck my friend! get away from the books and computers and live my friend!
Intern
Intern

Re: Bad verbal - 680 Q46V37 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2008, 19:08
Thanks my friend for the advice...but let me just clarify I am not an Indian IT guy(I am a girl)...like I said in my initial post I am a media communications professional with eight plus years of management and leadership experience. And I have worked for clients across industries - consumer, healthcare, non-profits and technology...some of my key clients include McDoanld's, Whirlpool, GE Money, Boston Scientific, Bristol Myers, UNICEF, USAID and of course I should mention Stanford Graduate School of Business, MIT and Tuck.
Intern
Intern

Re: Bad verbal - 680 Q46V37 [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2008, 16:44
forgive me RJ! my mistake. wow you sound impressive. i'm sure you will get in to the top schools with that GMAT and background.

i sincerely wish you all the best luck!
Re: Bad verbal - 680 Q46V37   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2008, 16:44