Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 18:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Balanced Score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Balanced Score [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2006, 13:44
I just took the GMAT and got a 710 (94%) but only a 42 (67%) in quant and a 45 (98%) in verbal. I have a strong GPA (3.73) from a good undergrad program and 4 years of consulting experience. I'm targeting Chicago, Wharton, and NYU. My question is: will the quant/unbalanced nature of my score kill me? Should I consider taking the test again?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2006, 14:04
Your overall score is great, but you might want to take a quantitative class (accounting or statistics) to improve your chances at those schools, specially Ch/Wh.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2006, 14:29
You didn't say what your undergraduate major was, but your Q score will hurt you at those schools, especially Chicago & Wharton because they are naturally among the most selective to begin with.

Here are some quotes from actual admissions directors (as quoted in Montauk):

"The GMAT is the equalizer, the only thing everyone takes. We do validity studies of it every year. There is a close correlation with first-year grades. Given that our program is quantitative and demanding, it is no surprise that there is an even closer correlation between the quantitative score and first year grades" (Mary Miller, Stern)

"A study we conducted regarding the GMAT quantitative score suggested that when someone scored below the 75th percentile, he or she was much more likely to have trouble with our program. We use this as a watermark, not a cutoff. If someone scores below the 75th percentile, we examine his quantitative course work and his professional work (to what extent he's been using numbers and formulas), and pursue the matter with him in the interview. If we like someone, we may admit him conditional upon his completing appropriate coursework: (Sally Jaeger, Tuck)

"We might not really look at the total score: We might concentrate on either the verbal or the quantitative score, depending upon the person's background. For an engineer, we might look at the verbal score to make sure he has the necessary skills. For a foreigner, we might want to see a 35 or 40 verbal score. The total score can be a matter of someone excelling on just one-half, so we want to make sure that that's not the case" Rod Garcia, MIT

I think the common theme is if your Q score is low, you are going to have to show elsewhere in your application that you can cut the mustard. A 3.73 GPA is good, but probably won't offset your Q score if you were an English major, especially at the schools that you listed. Wharton and Chicago both state that they like to see 80th percentile in both.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2006, 15:28
wow...thanks for the awesome response. i was a finance major and have been working in financial services consulting, so hpefully that helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1512 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2006, 16:02
Where did you see the 80th percentile thing for Chicago?

I'm at 78% :(
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2006, 17:16
Actually, I heard it at the Chicago info session. It's a guideline; if you are below then they will look more closely at other things that indicate quantitative ability. 78 is pretty close; hard to say if it will bother them much.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2006, 21:26
At the Chicago thing I went to on Friday they said they were most concerned with overall score. But who knows.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1512 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2006, 03:51
ceglar wrote:
At the Chicago thing I went to on Friday they said they were most concerned with overall score. But who knows.

Go figure.

I'd lean towards the overall score really cause thats what gets reported and used as a metric for rank.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 20:30
I know a guy who got in wharton last yr with 74% in Q.
So as long as you can back up your Q skills, I don't think your Q score will be the show stopper.
  [#permalink] 07 Nov 2006, 20:30