Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bargaining for scholarships

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q V
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Bargaining for scholarships [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 09:05
Have any of you ever used a scholarship offer from one school to negotiate a scholarship from another? Is such a thing even possible? How did you go about doing it?

In my case, the schools are close rankings wise, and the scholarship offer I received is too big to turn down unless I get a comparable offer. The other school has not announced scholarships yet.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 14

Re: Bargaining for scholarships [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 09:17
did you get a big scholarship from Stern and you're trying to get CBS to match? did CBS offer any money at all?

i have heard that it's possible, but case-by-case basis
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Bargaining for scholarships [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 09:22
I think it really depends on how the school you're trying to negotiate with sees its competitor. For many URM candidates CBS has to compete with Stern offering Consortium fellowships. Many people have failed to get more $$ out of CBS using the Consortium fellowship as leverage because CBS sees itself as being worth the cost. You might get CBS to come off a couple more $ if you have an offer from Stern, but don't expect it to be even close to a match.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 158 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Bargaining for scholarships [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 09:47
This post received
KUDOS
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try. It's not Stern vs. CBS, but I do have a buddy who applied to Columbia and NYU for their LLM programs last year. While he was waiting for Columbia to get back to him, NYU offered him a sizable scholarship. And so, when he still hadn't heard from Columbia a few days before the NYU deposit deadline, he called Columbia to let them know about his situation. They matched NYU's offer a couple of days later.

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q V
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Re: Bargaining for scholarships [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 09:52
threestripes wrote:
It's not Stern vs. CBS, but I do have a buddy who applied to Columbia and NYU for their LLM programs last year. While he was waiting for Columbia to get back to him, NYU offered him a sizable scholarship. And so, when he still hadn't heard from Columbia a few days before the NYU deposit deadline, he called Columbia to let them know about his situation. They matched NYU's offer a couple of days later. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try.

Thanks very much to everyone for the advice. I'm not under the illusion that a bidding war is going to break out for me. I'm thrilled that I was even admitted to these schools. I just want to make sure that if I broach the topic, I'm doing it as politely and professionally as possible. I never contemplated being in this situation, and I wasn't sure if it was even appropriate to try to negotiate. CBS hasn't even made scholarship offers yet, and I don't want to ruin my chance at an offer from them because I came off as rude or entitled.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 158 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Bargaining for scholarships [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
pearljam wrote:
threestripes wrote:
It's not Stern vs. CBS, but I do have a buddy who applied to Columbia and NYU for their LLM programs last year. While he was waiting for Columbia to get back to him, NYU offered him a sizable scholarship. And so, when he still hadn't heard from Columbia a few days before the NYU deposit deadline, he called Columbia to let them know about his situation. They matched NYU's offer a couple of days later. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try.

Thanks very much to everyone for the advice. I'm not under the illusion that a bidding war is going to break out for me. I'm thrilled that I was even admitted to these schools. I just want to make sure that if I broach the topic, I'm doing it as politely and professionally as possible. I never contemplated being in this situation, and I wasn't sure if it was even appropriate to try to negotiate. CBS hasn't even made scholarship offers yet, and I don't want to ruin my chance at an offer from them because I came off as rude or entitled.

Of course I forgot to say it when I first posted here, but big congrats to you for getting both schools to accept you! I'm sure that if you do it in a very polite way, they wouldn't take it against you for trying. Besides, it's not like they could just rescind their offer if you asked them about it.

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Bargaining for scholarships   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2012, 10:04