Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 02:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bargaining on scholarship

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Posts: 4
Location: Harkiv, Ukraine
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Bargaining on scholarship [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2005, 11:11
Dear Hjort!

Congratulate me - I`v been admitted to Wharton!
It was not easy but I did it!

Now I`m loosing my euphory little by little and start thinking about coming problems.

I see my most topical and important aim in trying to get scholarship from school. The thing is, that on top of Wharton I applied to some other schools of ultraelite notch. And I have a feeling that I will be admitted by at least a couple of them.

So, what will be the most effective strategy for getting scholarship in my case? Actually, I dont have hard preferences (as well as extra funds available), and I`d rather choose a school, which provides scholarship to cover tutition fees.

Shall I wait till positive admission decisions of other schools and use it as a strong argument for bargainig?
Is it OK in general to wright something like: "Dear sirs, I really like your school, but I`ve been admitted to the couple of schools I like as well. So, providing decent financial aid from your side will defenitely help me to make my choice".
Aint that rude???

I know for sure that it works with some top30, -40, -50 schools. But I`m not sure about ultraelites. So, please help me to make my mind and choose the best strategy!

P.S. I`ve asked the same question Scott&Omari in the neighbour conference, hope its OK with you, cause I actually appreciate opinion of all of you MBA experts
_________________

I did it!

CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Posts: 3281
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2005, 19:42
Congrats on Wharton!!

I would wait and see what the other ultra elites offer. There is nothing wrong with stating it in a matter-of-fact way: I like your school but these other schools have offered me more . . . perhaps there is a way you can change my mind.

As usual, I welcome and invite candidates to seek advice from a wide variety of sources on GMATClub and elsewhere.

Best,

Hjort
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Posts: 4
Location: Harkiv, Ukraine
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2005, 00:30
So, lets imagine I received OK from 2 schools. None of them promised me any financial aid yet. Should I write basically the same thing to both, saying: "I will choose your school only if you will provide scholarship"?

Are you sure it will not be considered "blackmail" and both schools will just ding me. Is there any way Wharton can check that I`m not kidding and really admitted to Kellog and vice versa?

Also, shall I name particular school in my letter, that admitted me as well? I still have some concerns, that Wharton admission director may be offended and say something like: "We did you the honour, admitted you, but now you are trying to bargain... Go to the other school, we need students not profiteers"

The very last question - am I supposed to write special letter to the school regarding this circumstance? Or it can be included into standard documentation form?
_________________

I did it!

CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Posts: 3281
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2005, 11:25
Stating this as an ultimatum is an invitation to disaster. Like most forms of negotiation it is important to avoid making the other side lose face. It is much better to contact the admissions staff and let them come up with some possible solutions to your problem.

If you already have an offer of admissions from the school, regular negotiation tactics should not raise any eyebrows.
  [#permalink] 28 Dec 2005, 11:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Bargaining on scholarship

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.