Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 03:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Baruch Scandal... still worth it?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Baruch Scandal... still worth it? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 08:09
Hey guys,

I'm planning on applying for a Spring 2013 start date for a MS Accounting program in NYC. My #1 choice had been Baruch, but with the recent "scandal" affecting both the MS Accounting and MBA programs at the school, I'm not sure if I should still even apply. What do you guys think? I don't want to start a program whose reputation is tarnished when I actually am trying to find a job...

For those unfamiliar with what's going on at Baruch:
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/baruch_in_fix_with_da_6W6jwQeEb3wN7L7ugKjACI

Also, what other programs (specifically in NYC, not just NY state) are reputable? I was looking at Brooklyn College as well as Fordham as back-ups to Baruch, but I'm having a hard time figuring out if these programs are even any good.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
- Thomas Edison

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Baruch Scandal... still worth it? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 08:53
actressinpink wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm planning on applying for a Spring 2013 start date for a MS Accounting program in NYC. My #1 choice had been Baruch, but with the recent "scandal" affecting both the MS Accounting and MBA programs at the school, I'm not sure if I should still even apply. What do you guys think? I don't want to start a program whose reputation is tarnished when I actually am trying to find a job...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/baruch_in_fix_with_da_6W6jwQeEb3wN7L7ugKjACI

Also, what other programs (specifically in NYC, not just NY state) are reputable? I was looking at Brooklyn College as well as Fordham as back-ups to Baruch, but I'm having a hard time figuring out if these programs are even any good.

I am in Baruch's MS Accounting program right now and I can ASSURE you that recruiting hasn't been effected at all. All Big 4 and mid-size firms are showing up heavily in the coming weeks. In other words, Baruch is still a steal at it's price and recruiting will continue to provide great opportunities that most other schools can't offer.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Baruch Scandal... still worth it? [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 18:33
actressinpink wrote:
Hey guys,

first of all, just in case, i have to claim all im bring are facts and moderate advices-no personal attacks upon the school.

choosing school is nothing different from choosing your career, so before u decide which school top your list, u should think about ur career and how to achieve your career goal.

getting into big 4 is not an achievement, but keeping a position in those firms is. if you have your chance in baruch, you should also have your plan toward cpa exams. so far as i know if a person works in big 4-not just in big 4, in any other firms also-and goes night programs in baruch, he wont be able to prepare the exams. hence, when the business session is due, he is in "danger"...after the cpa requirements tightened, those firms levelled up their standards also. IN SHORT, my advice here is you have to think and design, as what possibly will show in your personal essay when applying those masters, your temporary and long-term career goal, and you have to mean it. Passing the CPA exams may now is your top concern-i assume you have already got the chance to seat in a MACC program.

a scandals hurts, but not that bad, as i posted in another issue. baruch has a very strict courses rules, bring the reputation, and it provides you a widespread alumni network. im glad you take your macc selecting as a big deal. i can tell you many schools scandals-the job what i mostly do now, kinda like admission consulting-i can also tell you most scandals wont kill the school. if you are interested, google urbana champaign's admission scandals-one of my favor, and observe what this university's current situation.

i used to suggest ppl go baruch...cmon, a ranking 20 schools with its cheap tuition, why not? but recently, after its mba program chaos and test cheating scandals, i recommend ppl take a second thought. if you consider other schools, actually within NYC, forham, pace, st.john-lubin and yeshiva also have equally valuable macc programs.

also currently i heard binghamton's macc program is as awesome as baruch's...but i dont know much about binghamton, you can do some research if you want.

for your career, its a big topic. some firms, or should i say organizations dont req a cpa lis, such as IRS and state department, not like big 4...you have to find out what you want, then decide which school and which life style.

if you choose to go baruch, with its tons of career fair and firms interview opportunities, i assume you will give urself a shot, then you should realize to survive in those firms, you need your cpa as soon as possible. so you probably should start to plan now.

good luck.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Baruch Scandal... still worth it? [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 09:14
good information . thank
Re: Baruch Scandal... still worth it?   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2012, 09:14