Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 15:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Based on accounts of various ancient writers, scholars have

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Based on accounts of various ancient writers, scholars have [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 21:13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (01:23) correct 27% (00:43) wrong based on 86 sessions
Based on accounts of various ancient writers, scholars have painted a sketchy picture of the activities of an all-female cult that, perhaps as early as the sixth century B.C., worshipped a goddess known in Latin as Bona Dea, “the good goddess.”

(A) Based on accounts of various ancient writers,

(B) Basing it on various ancient writers’ accounts,

(C) With accounts of various ancient writers used for a basis,

(D) By the accounts of various ancient writers they used,

(E) Using accounts of various ancient writers,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will not talk about how I've eliminated options B, C, and D, as I believe it is a straight forward process and does not warrant a discussion.

That leaves me with option A and E. Both seem to be correct grammatically and therefore it boils down to meaning.

This is where I find it hard to digest the explanation that OG gives in its answers.

Using the accounts of - to my understanding - implies that the accounts were used to sketch. And this means that the sketches of the goddesses were precise. But this is not true.

When one uses Based on the accounts of, it still leaves the possibility that the 'actual sketch' of the goddess may be different from the one sketched based on the accounts.

I might be thinking about this too far, but I do feel that the logic using both seems OK.

We also see the usage of 'Based on' for similar constructions in our day-to-day lives (e.g. Based on the assumptions listed, the professor calculated the rate of dispersion), so why exactly does OG state the modifier as non-sensical? Am I missing something here?

Kind regards,

Vikas
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: OG-12 Question # 25 - question on modifiers and meaning [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 21:49
"A" technically means that the scholars themselves are based on accounts of various writers.

Why does "Using the accounts" imply that they were precise? It doesn't qualify the accounts, so the accounts were most likely inadequate if they produced sketchy results.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: OG-12 Question # 25 - question on modifiers and meaning [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 23:14
Guys, I don't see how precision has any relevance to this question. Here is my understanding of this question:

Option A:

Based on accounts of various ancient writers, scholars: this seems illogical, for how can scholars be based on accounts? I mean its possible that the author is trying to say that ancient writers hypothesized that scholars created a sketchy picture etc etc..but this is highly unlikely. The other way around makes more sense: that scholars have painted a sketch picture based on accounts....So basically, this option is ambiguous at best and sports a modifier error at worst.

Option E:
Using accounts of various ancient writers, : now here's an opening modifier that clearly informs us as to how the scholars came up with the sketchy picture.

e.g. Based on the assumptions listed, the professor calculated the rate of dispersion), so why exactly does OG state the modifier as non-sensical? Am I missing something here?
Here again we can see how logic allows for this: how did the prof. calculate the rate? By basing it on the assumptions listed. Here this makes logical sense and is clear.
Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: OG-12 Question # 25 - question on modifiers and meaning [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 00:03
macjas wrote:
Guys, I don't see how precision has any relevance to this question. Here is my understanding of this question:

Option A:

Based on accounts of various ancient writers, scholars: this seems illogical, for how can scholars be based on accounts? I mean its possible that the author is trying to say that ancient writers hypothesized that scholars created a sketchy picture etc etc..but this is highly unlikely. The other way around makes more sense: that scholars have painted a sketch picture based on accounts....So basically, this option is ambiguous at best and sports a modifier error at worst.

Option E:
Using accounts of various ancient writers, : now here's an opening modifier that clearly informs us as to how the scholars came up with the sketchy picture.

e.g. Based on the assumptions listed, the professor calculated the rate of dispersion), so why exactly does OG state the modifier as non-sensical? Am I missing something here?
Here again we can see how logic allows for this: how did the prof. calculate the rate? By basing it on the assumptions listed. Here this makes logical sense and is clear.

You have correctly understood the example I have presented. However, the same is true for the OG question.

The modifier is modifying the action and not the subject. Can we say that based on XYZ, scholars have sketched ABC ?? The example I gave parallels this logic.

Using the XYZ, scholars have sketched ABC ... In this case the modifier seems to modify just the scholars.

Does GMAT have a preference for one over the other? Or my analysis of the question is wrong here?

Any experts have any advise regarding the same?
Current Student

Re: OG-12 Question # 25 - question on modifiers and meaning [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 00:52
hey mvikred, you make a good point. I don't know whether there is any hard and fast rule about the modifier and its relation to the subject or verb. However, I can suggest that you use your sense of logic in choosing an answer. This would ofcourse, depend largely on context as well. For specific technical details we need an expert to chime in..
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1613 [1] , given: 249

Re: OG-12 Question # 25 - question on modifiers and meaning [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 01:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:
The modifier is modifying the action and not the subject.

A past participial (verb+ed) modifier that introduces a sentence, by virtue of its being an adjective, has to necessarily modify a noun after the comma, and not an action.
In addition, one can see the shift in // ism in choice A. ‘Based on’ is passive voice while ‘scholars have’ is active voice. E corrects this anomaly by converting the modifier to active voice.
I would rather sail with the OG

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1268

Kudos [?]: 3529 [5] , given: 185

Re: OG-12 Question # 25 - question on modifiers and meaning [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi @mvikred,

Based on accounts of various ancient writers, scholars have painted a sketchy picture of the activities of an all-female cult that, perhaps as early as the sixth century B.C., worshipped a goddess known in Latin as Bona Dea, “the good goddess.”

After reading your doubt, I feel that you have misinterpreted the meaning of this sentence somehow. Now the real meaning might not have significant impact in choosing the correct answer choice in this sentence. However, it is very important that you understand the correct intended meaning that, in most cases, has a direct bearing on choosing the correct answer choice.

The sentence means that the scholars studied the accounts of various ancient writers and have painted a sketchy picture of the activities of an all-female cult worshipped a goddess called Bona Dea, the good goddess. Now, the scholars did not paint any literal sketch of the activities of the all-female cult. Here, this expression has been used as metaphor to mean that scholars presented their not-very-perfect understanding of the cult. Notice, the sentence says that the scholars painted the sketchy picture of the activities of the cult and not the goddess.

Error Analysis:

On GMAT, verb-ed modifier is a noun modifier that can only refer to a noun entity. It does not refer to a clause. If the verb-ed appears in the middle of the sentence then it modifies the preceding noun. If it appears in the beginning of the sentence, then it modifies the subject of the following clause. Let’s take a set of simple examples here:

1. Kim has kept the lamp in the casket designed by her grandmother.
2. Designed by Kim’s grandmother, the casket got sold in the auction at a very high price.

In the first sentence, “designed” appears in the middle of the sentence and is preceded by the noun “casket”. Hence it modifies the preceding noun “casket”. The modifier suggests that the casket was designed by Kim’s grandmother.

In the second sentence, “designed” appears in the beginning of the sentence. In this case, it modifies the subject of the following main clause “casket”. The modifier suggests that the casket was designed by Kim’s grandmother.

Now let’s apply this rule on the OG sentence:

The verb-ed modifier “based” appears in the beginning of the sentence. This means it will modify the subject of the following clause. The subject is “scholars”. This modification suggests that “scholars” were based on accounts of various ancient writers. This modification is absolutely illogical. That’s why OG says that the modification is incorrect. Here we need a modifier that must correctly and logically modify “scholars”.
Now let’s analyze the sentence with the correct answer choice E:

Using accounts of various ancient writers, scholars have painted a sketchy picture of the activities of an all-female cult that, perhaps as early as the sixth century B.C., worshipped a goddess known in Latin as Bona Dea, “the good goddess.”
This answer choice is correct because the verb-ing modifier “using” correctly modifies the scholars. It suggests that scholars used accounts of various ancient writers to do something.

Now let's consider your example:

Based on the assumptions listed, the professor calculated the rate of dispersion.

Now in day-to-day language, this form might be acceptable but this sentence will stand incorrect for the same reason – illogical modification. The modification in this sentence suggests that the professors were based on listed assumptions. So on GMAT, this sentence is incorrect.

For more on verb-ed and verb-ing modifiers, please refer to this article:
verb-ed-modifiers-vs-verb-ing-modifiers-125611.html

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Current Student

Re: OG-12 Question # 25 - question on modifiers and meaning [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 11:14
daagh wrote:
A past participial (verb+ed) modifier that introduces a sentence, by virtue of its being an adjective, has to necessarily modify a noun after the comma, and not an action.

egmat wrote:
If (verb-eds) it appears in the beginning of the sentence, then it modifies the subject of the following clause.

This is new to me. I guess it must have skipped my memory even though I read the egmat articles! :)
Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: OG-12 Question # 25 - question on modifiers and meaning [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 19:19
egmat wrote:
Hi @mvikred,

After reading your doubt, I feel that you have misinterpreted the meaning of this sentence somehow. Now the real meaning might not have significant impact in choosing the correct answer choice in this sentence. However, it is very important that you understand the correct intended meaning that, in most cases, has a direct bearing on choosing the correct answer choice.

The sentence means that the scholars studied the accounts of various ancient writers and have painted a sketchy picture of the activities of an all-female cult worshipped a goddess called Bona Dea, the good goddess. Now, the scholars did not paint any literal sketch of the activities of the all-female cult. Here, this expression has been used as metaphor to mean that scholars presented their not-very-perfect understanding of the cult. Notice, the sentence says that the scholars painted the sketchy picture of the activities of the cult and not the goddess.

Error Analysis:

On GMAT, verb-ed modifier is a noun modifier that can only refer to a noun entity. It does not refer to a clause. If the verb-ed appears in the middle of the sentence then it modifies the preceding noun. If it appears in the beginning of the sentence, then it modifies the subject of the following clause. Let’s take a set of simple examples here:

1. Kim has kept the lamp in the casket designed by her grandmother.
2. Designed by Kim’s grandmother, the casket got sold in the auction at a very high price.

In the first sentence, “designed” appears in the middle of the sentence and is preceded by the noun “casket”. Hence it modifies the preceding noun “casket”. The modifier suggests that the casket was designed by Kim’s grandmother.

In the second sentence, “designed” appears in the beginning of the sentence. In this case, it modifies the subject of the following main clause “casket”. The modifier suggests that the casket was designed by Kim’s grandmother.

Now let’s apply this rule on the OG sentence:

The verb-ed modifier “based” appears in the beginning of the sentence. This means it will modify the subject of the following clause. The subject is “scholars”. This modification suggests that “scholars” were based on accounts of various ancient writers. This modification is absolutely illogical. That’s why OG says that the modification is incorrect. Here we need a modifier that must correctly and logically modify “scholars”.
Now let’s analyze the sentence with the correct answer choice E:

Using accounts of various ancient writers, scholars have painted a sketchy picture of the activities of an all-female cult that, perhaps as early as the sixth century B.C., worshipped a goddess known in Latin as Bona Dea, “the good goddess.”
This answer choice is correct because the verb-ing modifier “using” correctly modifies the scholars. It suggests that scholars used accounts of various ancient writers to do something.

Now let's consider your example:

Based on the assumptions listed, the professor calculated the rate of dispersion.

Now in day-to-day language, this form might be acceptable but this sentence will stand incorrect for the same reason – illogical modification. The modification in this sentence suggests that the professors were based on listed assumptions. So on GMAT, this sentence is incorrect.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Thanks Shraddha and e-gmat.

Looks like I overlooked the rule about -ed modifiers.

This does clear up my concern about the error in this sentence.

Cheers !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Based on accounts of various ancient writers, scholars have [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 07:26

(A) Based on accounts of various ancient writers,

(B) Basing it on various ancient writers’ accounts,

(C) With accounts of various ancient writers used for a basis,

(D) By the accounts of various ancient writers they used,

(E) Using accounts of various ancient writers,

I do not think this is a easy question.

"used for..." in C can be acceatable in some cases. The farness of "used..." from modified noun is not only the reason for elimination. the grammar rule of "farness" is not absolute. the farness of "which" , the farness of "adverb" and the farness of many othe modification relation are not absolute. that is why we have to focus on meaning relations in the complex sentence to counter this hard situation. This way of thinking is what gmat sc game on us. gmat test us logic not hard and fast grammar rule. of course, we still have to learn hard and fart grammar rule. But remember, gmat can use only simple grammar rules to play the game of meaning/logic as gmat do on this sentence. very interesting and brutal.

main problem with C is that "used for..." is redundant. in C, "they used" is also reduandant.

this redundance is not easy to realize in the test room where we are nervous and more certainly not eeasy to realize in a short time.

is my thinking correct?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Based on accounts of various ancient writers, scholars have [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 06:35
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Based on accounts of various ancient writers, scholars have   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2014, 06:35