Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young : GMAT Sentence Correction (SC)
Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 17 Jan 2017, 14:39
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

8 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2011
Posts: 104
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 452 [8] , given: 116

Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2012, 15:50
8
This post received
KUDOS
38
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:53) correct 44% (00:56) wrong based on 1379 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena and that this robe depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants.

(A) Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress
(B) Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women had collaborated to weave a new woolen robe with which to dress
(C) According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress
(D) Records from ancient Athens indicate that each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe with which they dressed
(E) Records from ancient Athens indicate each year young Athenian women had collaborated to weave a new woolen robe for dressing

Quote:
I need some suggestion as to why C is wrong
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful

Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2011
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 60

Re: Based on records from ancient Athens [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2012, 18:36
3
This post received
KUDOS
C violates parallelism since it is records that indicates " " in the second part of the sentence. D wins for brevity and conciseness over C
Expert Post
13 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
B
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 3697
Followers: 1291

Kudos [?]: 5838 [13] , given: 66

Re: Based on records from ancient Athens [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2012, 14:41
13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
maybeam wrote:
Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena and that this robe depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants.

(A) Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress
(B) Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women had collaborated to weave a new woolen robe with which to dress
(C) According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress
(D) Records from ancient Athens indicate that each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe with which they dressed
(E) Records from ancient Athens indicate each year young Athenian women had collaborated to weave a new woolen robe for dressing

Quote:
I need some suggestion as to why C is wrong


Dear maybeam,
I'm happy to toss in my 2 cents here. :-)

I agree with what rajmatthew said----
1) because we have the "that this robe . . ." clause at the end of the sentence, we need a parallel clause of something indicated by the ancient records. (D) has a parallel "indicate that" clause, but (C) structures the first part of the sentence without "that", so there's no parallelism
2) (D) is direct and concise, what the GMAT loves

I would also add:

(C) ... a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue ...
(D) ...a new woolen robe with which they dressed a statue ...

Think about these structured rearranged as independent clauses
(C') They used a new woolen robe to dress the statue.
(D') They dressed the statue with a new woolen robe.

The first is clumsy --- the active verb is "used", and the action of dressing is relegated to the infinitive. In the second, the active verb is "dressed", which is the literal action taking place. If you think about the people there doing what they are doing, what verb best describes that activity --- "using" or "dressing"? Clearly, they are dressing the statue. The active verb in the sentence should reflect the activity of the real people engaged in the event.

Does this make sense? Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2010
Posts: 384
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 87

Re: Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2013, 20:52
Can somebody help me on why the parallelism in option C is wrong??
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
B
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 3697
Followers: 1291

Kudos [?]: 5838 [6] , given: 66

Re: Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2013, 09:12
6
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
gmatter0913 wrote:
Can somebody help me on why the parallelism in option C is wrong??

Dear gmatter0913,
I'm happy to help. :-)

First of all, parallelism is not only the problem with (C). It's just an awkward nightmare on a few levels.

Here's the parallelism problem. First, look at the OA. Choice (D), the OA, has parallel "that" clauses:

Records from ancient Athens indicate
//that each year ... goddess Athena
and
//that this robe ... giants.
The two "that" clause are both things indicted by the ancient records.

Now, compare this to (C) ----- one "that" clause describes the robe(" ... a new woolen robe that they used to ...), and the other is telling us an event that happened ---- it would be an object of the verb "indicate", if that verb appeared in (C); as it stands, it's not exactly clear what the role of this "that" clause is. Those two "that" clauses are not even pretending to do the same thing, so they are not parallel.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2010
Posts: 384
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 87

Re: Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2013, 21:49
Thanks Mike for your reply.

Mike, Could it also be that option C is wrong because of the presence of 'this robe' in the second 'that clause'? (described below)

Option C
C. According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena and that this robe depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants.

If option C were to be correct, then I thought it has to be as below.

C. According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena and that (robe) depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants.

As the non-underlined part is having the additional "this robe", we can deduce that the second "that" cannot be used to mean "robe" as in option C.

Do you think this line of reasoning is correct?
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
B
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 3697
Followers: 1291

Kudos [?]: 5838 [2] , given: 66

Re: Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2013, 10:00
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
gmatter0913 wrote:
Thanks Mike for your reply.

Mike, Could it also be that option C is wrong because of the presence of 'this robe' in the second 'that clause'? (described below)

Option C
C. According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena and that this robe depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants.

If option C were to be correct, then I thought it has to be as below.

C. According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena and that (robe) depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants.

As the non-underlined part is having the additional "this robe", we can deduce that the second "that" cannot be used to mean "robe" as in option C.

Do you think this line of reasoning is correct?

Yes, the sentence would be correct of both "that" clauses were in parallel as noun-modifiers, modifying "robe" -----
According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe
//that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena
and
//that depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants
There, each "that" is a subordinate conjunction, introducing a subordinate clause that modifies the noun "robe".

If we include the word "robe", then the word "that" is merely a noun-modifier modifying robe, and we get two independent clauses ---
According to records from ancient Athens,
(Independent clause #1) each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena
and
(Independent clause #2) that robe depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants

Either of those is 100% grammatically correct.

This is why, in the non-underlined part, the GMAT is very careful to specify ---- and that this robe depicted .... this "that" clause is a substantive clause, a clause that acts as a noun. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/substantiv ... -the-gmat/
A noun can only have one demonstrative modifier --- we can say "this robe" or "that robe", but if we say "that this robe", the first "that" can't be a noun-modifier modifying robe, so it has play another role. The word "that" has a bewildering number of roles. Here, it is as a subordinate conjunction, introducing a substantive clause.

A substantive clause doesn't make sense just standing by itself in a sentence ---- it needs to be either a subject of some verb, or it needs to be the direct object of some cognitive/informational verb --- to think, to say, to believe, to know, to indicate, etc.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10529
Followers: 918

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2014, 19:08
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10529
Followers: 918

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2015, 09:10
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 96
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 213

Re: Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 18:59
mikemcgarry wrote:
gmatter0913 wrote:
Thanks Mike for your reply.

Mike, Could it also be that option C is wrong because of the presence of 'this robe' in the second 'that clause'? (described below)

Option C
C. According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena and that this robe depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants.

If option C were to be correct, then I thought it has to be as below.

C. According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena and that (robe) depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants.

As the non-underlined part is having the additional "this robe", we can deduce that the second "that" cannot be used to mean "robe" as in option C.

Do you think this line of reasoning is correct?

Yes, the sentence would be correct of both "that" clauses were in parallel as noun-modifiers, modifying "robe" -----
According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe
//that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena
and
//that depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants
There, each "that" is a subordinate conjunction, introducing a subordinate clause that modifies the noun "robe".

If we include the word "robe", then the word "that" is merely a noun-modifier modifying robe, and we get two independent clauses ---
According to records from ancient Athens,
(Independent clause #1) each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena
and
(Independent clause #2) that robe depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants

Either of those is 100% grammatically correct.

This is why, in the non-underlined part, the GMAT is very careful to specify ---- and that this robe depicted .... this "that" clause is a substantive clause, a clause that acts as a noun. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/substantiv ... -the-gmat/
A noun can only have one demonstrative modifier --- we can say "this robe" or "that robe", but if we say "that this robe", the first "that" can't be a noun-modifier modifying robe, so it has play another role. The word "that" has a bewildering number of roles. Here, it is as a subordinate conjunction, introducing a substantive clause.

A substantive clause doesn't make sense just standing by itself in a sentence ---- it needs to be either a subject of some verb, or it needs to be the direct object of some cognitive/informational verb --- to think, to say, to believe, to know, to indicate, etc.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)


Hey Mike,

I have a question about this - if you dont mind clearing things up!

Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena and that this robe depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants.

I a going to focus only on the points of interest - and was wondering if we can use TENSE amonst parallelism to eliminate C here since in the non-underlined portion after the AND we have depicted in the past tense, or we must match this to the first part:

(C) According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress
(D) Records from ancient Athens indicate that each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe with which they dressed


Is this proper analysis?

Thanks.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
B
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 3697
Followers: 1291

Kudos [?]: 5838 [0], given: 66

Re: Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 11:04
GMATDemiGod wrote:
Hey Mike,

I have a question about this - if you dont mind clearing things up!

Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena and that this robe depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants.

I a going to focus only on the points of interest - and was wondering if we can use TENSE amonst parallelism to eliminate C here since in the non-underlined portion after the AND we have depicted in the past tense, or we must match this to the first part:

(C) According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress
(D) Records from ancient Athens indicate that each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe with which they dressed


Is this proper analysis?

Thanks.

Dear GMATDemiGod,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

1) Verbs in parallel do NOT have to match in tense, even if they have the same subject. In fact, one could be active and one passive. See:
GMAT Grammar Rules: Parallelism and Verb Tenses
For the purposes of establishing proper parallelism, verb tense doesn't matter at all.

2) Both "used to dress" and "dressed" are past tense. In the former, you highlighted "dress" in the infinitive, which technically is tense-less.

Does all this help?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2016
Posts: 142
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 10

Re: Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 11:59
(C) According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress
(D) Records from ancient Athens indicate that each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe with which they dressed

The bold portions make D as a better answer than C.
_________________

P.S. Don't forget to give Kudos :)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2015
Posts: 15
Location: India
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2016, 20:35
mikemcgarry

Thanks Mike for the step by step explanation.

The word "with which they..." made me reject the option D. Can you share some insights how to handle these problems, especially where ambiguous word formation (not common) comes in place. I have seen your earlier SC explanations where these word formations were sometimes correct or wrong.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
B
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 3697
Followers: 1291

Kudos [?]: 5838 [1] , given: 66

Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2016, 15:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ankitmining wrote:
mikemcgarry

Thanks Mike for the step by step explanation.

The word "with which they..." made me reject the option D. Can you share some insights how to handle these problems, especially where ambiguous word formation (not common) comes in place. I have seen your earlier SC explanations where these word formations were sometimes correct or wrong.

Dear ankitmining,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

The word "which" is a relative pronoun. Other examples are "who," "what," and "that." A relative pronoun begins a relative clause, which is a kind of subordinate or dependent clause, and the relative pronoun plays a role in that clause. Within the action of the relative clause, the relative pronoun could be the subject, the direct object, or the object of a proposition.

As a subject of the relative clause:
This is my friend who plays the violin.
I have a car that gets good gas mileage.

As a direct object of the relative clause:
This is my friend whom the conductor said was the violinist in the city.
I have a car that my neighbor wants to buy.
Notice that the pronoun "who," like the personal pronouns "he" and "she," changes case with different grammatical roles.

As the object of a prepositional phrase within the relative clause:
This is my friend to whom the music award was given.
This is my friend from whom I learned about classical music.
I have a car with which my neighbor is infatuated.
I have a car to which my neighbor refers in a poem.

All of these are structures you will see in sophisticated reading. I highly recommend the habit of reading so that you learn all these structures. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2016, 15:50
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women CoolKevin 0 17 Jan 2015, 18:34
28 Experts publish their posts in the topic Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women c amitanand 12 04 Feb 2010, 00:15
3 Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young sondenso 21 06 May 2008, 17:50
31 Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young alimad 19 09 Oct 2007, 09:01
1 Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Caas 11 15 Jul 2007, 09:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.