Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 120 [2] , given: 116

Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 15:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:50) correct 49% (01:01) wrong based on 313 sessions
Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena and that this robe depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants.

(A) Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress
(B) Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women had collaborated to weave a new woolen robe with which to dress
(C) According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress
(D) Records from ancient Athens indicate that each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe with which they dressed
(E) Records from ancient Athens indicate each year young Athenian women had collaborated to weave a new woolen robe for dressing

Quote:
I need some suggestion as to why C is wrong
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 60

Re: Based on records from ancient Athens [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 18:36
This post received
KUDOS
C violates parallelism since it is records that indicates " " in the second part of the sentence. D wins for brevity and conciseness over C
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2280 [5] , given: 31

Re: Based on records from ancient Athens [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 14:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
maybeam wrote:
Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena and that this robe depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants.

(A) Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress
(B) Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women had collaborated to weave a new woolen robe with which to dress
(C) According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress
(D) Records from ancient Athens indicate that each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe with which they dressed
(E) Records from ancient Athens indicate each year young Athenian women had collaborated to weave a new woolen robe for dressing

Quote:
I need some suggestion as to why C is wrong

Dear maybeam,
I'm happy to toss in my 2 cents here. :-)

I agree with what rajmatthew said----
1) because we have the "that this robe . . ." clause at the end of the sentence, we need a parallel clause of something indicated by the ancient records. (D) has a parallel "indicate that" clause, but (C) structures the first part of the sentence without "that", so there's no parallelism
2) (D) is direct and concise, what the GMAT loves

I would also add:

(C) ... a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue ...
(D) ...a new woolen robe with which they dressed a statue ...

Think about these structured rearranged as independent clauses
(C') They used a new woolen robe to dress the statue.
(D') They dressed the statue with a new woolen robe.

The first is clumsy --- the active verb is "used", and the action of dressing is relegated to the infinitive. In the second, the active verb is "dressed", which is the literal action taking place. If you think about the people there doing what they are doing, what verb best describes that activity --- "using" or "dressing"? Clearly, they are dressing the statue. The active verb in the sentence should reflect the activity of the real people engaged in the event.

Does this make sense? Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 87

Re: Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 20:52
Can somebody help me on why the parallelism in option C is wrong??
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2280 [2] , given: 31

Re: Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 09:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmatter0913 wrote:
Can somebody help me on why the parallelism in option C is wrong??

Dear gmatter0913,
I'm happy to help. :-)

First of all, parallelism is not only the problem with (C). It's just an awkward nightmare on a few levels.

Here's the parallelism problem. First, look at the OA. Choice (D), the OA, has parallel "that" clauses:

Records from ancient Athens indicate
//that each year ... goddess Athena
and
//that this robe ... giants.
The two "that" clause are both things indicted by the ancient records.

Now, compare this to (C) ----- one "that" clause describes the robe(" ... a new woolen robe that they used to ...), and the other is telling us an event that happened ---- it would be an object of the verb "indicate", if that verb appeared in (C); as it stands, it's not exactly clear what the role of this "that" clause is. Those two "that" clauses are not even pretending to do the same thing, so they are not parallel.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 87

Re: Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 21:49
Thanks Mike for your reply.

Mike, Could it also be that option C is wrong because of the presence of 'this robe' in the second 'that clause'? (described below)

Option C
C. According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena and that this robe depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants.

If option C were to be correct, then I thought it has to be as below.

C. According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena and that (robe) depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants.

As the non-underlined part is having the additional "this robe", we can deduce that the second "that" cannot be used to mean "robe" as in option C.

Do you think this line of reasoning is correct?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2280 [1] , given: 31

Re: Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 10:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmatter0913 wrote:
Thanks Mike for your reply.

Mike, Could it also be that option C is wrong because of the presence of 'this robe' in the second 'that clause'? (described below)

Option C
C. According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena and that this robe depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants.

If option C were to be correct, then I thought it has to be as below.

C. According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena and that (robe) depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants.

As the non-underlined part is having the additional "this robe", we can deduce that the second "that" cannot be used to mean "robe" as in option C.

Do you think this line of reasoning is correct?

Yes, the sentence would be correct of both "that" clauses were in parallel as noun-modifiers, modifying "robe" -----
According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe
//that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena
and
//that depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants
There, each "that" is a subordinate conjunction, introducing a subordinate clause that modifies the noun "robe".

If we include the word "robe", then the word "that" is merely a noun-modifier modifying robe, and we get two independent clauses ---
According to records from ancient Athens,
(Independent clause #1) each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena
and
(Independent clause #2) that robe depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants

Either of those is 100% grammatically correct.

This is why, in the non-underlined part, the GMAT is very careful to specify ---- and that this robe depicted .... this "that" clause is a substantive clause, a clause that acts as a noun. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/substantiv ... -the-gmat/
A noun can only have one demonstrative modifier --- we can say "this robe" or "that robe", but if we say "that this robe", the first "that" can't be a noun-modifier modifying robe, so it has play another role. The word "that" has a bewildering number of roles. Here, it is as a subordinate conjunction, introducing a substantive clause.

A substantive clause doesn't make sense just standing by itself in a sentence ---- it needs to be either a subject of some verb, or it needs to be the direct object of some cognitive/informational verb --- to think, to say, to believe, to know, to indicate, etc.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2014, 19:08
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2014, 19:08