Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 May 2016, 20:01
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Based on scientific data provided by Mars missions, the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Based on scientific data provided by Mars missions, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2012, 04:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:55) correct 29% (01:16) wrong based on 142 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Based on scientific data provided by Mars missions, the planet experiences a large release of liquid water, and that some ice from a smaller but older outflow is present on its Elysian Planitia.

1.Based on scientific data transmitted by Mars missions, the planet experiences a large release of liquid water
2.Based on scientific data transmitted by Mars missions, the planet had experienced a large release of liquid water
3.According to scientific data transmitted by Mars missions, the planet experiences a large release of liquid water
4.Scientific data transmitted by Mars missions indicate that the planet experiences a large release of liquid water
5.Scientific data transmitted by Mars missions indicate the planet experiences large release of liquid water

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
D
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 09-30-2012
GPA: 3.08
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 8

Re: Based on scientific data provided by mars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2012, 04:41
This post received
KUDOS
rahul312 wrote:
Based on scientific data provided by Mars missions, the planet experiences a large release of liquid water, and that some ice from a smaller but older outflow is present on its Elysian Planitia.

1.Based on scientific data transmitted by Mars missions, the planet experiences a large release of liquid water
2.Based on scientific data transmitted by Mars missions, the planet had experienced a large release of liquid water
3.According to scientific data transmitted by Mars missions, the planet experiences a large release of liquid water
4.Scientific data transmitted by Mars missions indicate that the planet experiences a large release of liquid water
5.Scientific data transmitted by Mars missions indicate the planet experiences large release of liquid water

D

Here let us first identify the major problem with this statement ( the kind of problem that can make Amerika declare a war on Iran)

Based on some data .............. the planet experiences large release of liquid. ... This is not true the data only tells us this information the release of water happens because of some other reason which is none of our business but what we do know is that the mars mission didn't cause that water to release.

So clearly option A and B are wrong .. kick 'em out.

now in C D E we see .. "THAT" & "AND" :) ..... the underlined statement is followed by an 'and' and as that 'and' is not underlined so we know that 'and' is correct and now it is our job to make sure that 'and' looks correct. About 'and' we know that 'and' is an coordinating conjunction and we also know that it is also a Parallelism indicator which means that the both statements before 'and' and after 'and' should be parallel and both are being followed by the same premise.

Only option D adds " That" .
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 498

Kudos [?]: 4087 [1] , given: 320

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2012, 04:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1. Based on scientific data transmitted by Mars missions, the planet experiences a large release of liquid water--- the planet does not experience; who has based these data to find out the release of water is missing. A case of dangling modifier.

2. Based on scientific data transmitted by Mars missions, the planet had experienced a large release of liquid water ---- The same error as in A, in addition to the wrong tense usage.

3. According to scientific data transmitted by Mars missions, the planet experiences a large release of liquid water ---- Since the second part is not an IC but a sub-clause, the sentence construction is not gelling properly. The sentence lacks ‘that’ //ism.

4. Scientific data transmitted by Mars missions indicate that the planet experiences a large release of liquid water…. This choice amends the deficiency in the construction by maintaining the ‘that’ //ism.

5. Scientific data transmitted by Mars missions indicate the planet experiences large release of liquid water--- lacking in ‘that’ //ism.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2012, 09:12
thanks mandy and daagh ... that was very well put .
But i have a different question here (didnt put it before because i wanted to c if i was the only one who thinks so )

in the correct answer choice "Scientific data transmitted by Mars missions indicate that the planet experiences a large release of liquid water

scientific DATA .... INDICATE that ....

is DATA considered plural ?? doesn't it act like a compound word or something like that ??
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 498

Kudos [?]: 4087 [0], given: 320

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2012, 09:36
Expert's post
Data is plural, datum is its singular;
similar such irregular singular –plural pairs:
Phenomenon- phenomena
fungus – fungi
alga- algae
virus- viri ( but viruses is also ok)
bacterium- bacteria ;
stratum- strata
and may be many more.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 75

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2012, 10:45
based on is modifying the planet-incorrect
same as A ; verb tense is improper as intended-incorrect
wrongly used according to
correct
indicate that is the right usage, not indicate the

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2012, 11:30
ok now it makes sense to me ... somehow in my mind i kept thinking of data as a compund word ..
well anyways daagh ... that was surely helpful !
:)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 09-30-2012
GPA: 3.08
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2012, 19:32
rahul312 wrote:
ok now it makes sense to me ... somehow in my mind i kept thinking of data as a compund word ..
well anyways daagh ... that was surely helpful !
:)

You dont have to remember weather data is singular or plural or even its datum form
just remember its definition
Data : A collection of raw information., A collection of facts. ( sounds plural ? )
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2012, 22:03
I get the fact that Data is a collection of datum , so it is plural .
But what i was wondering was , say , Army is a collection of soldiers , but it is a compound noun , so it is considered singular , in the same Data could also have
been a compound noun ..(but its not :))
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 712

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Based on scientific data provided by Mars missions, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2014, 06:32
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Based on scientific data provided by Mars missions, the   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2014, 06:32