Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Basic algebra...can you help with a simple rule?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Basic algebra...can you help with a simple rule? [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 09:50
ok, I have this question that I thought I had the answer to, but the "answer" is something different. Check out the stem:

If a = 3 and b = -2, what is the value of a^2 + 3ab - b^2?

This should be easy, and the hangup I have is on the -b^2.

I have set it up this way via substitution:

(3)^2 + 3(3)(-2)-(-2)^2

It appears to me the answer would be a -13.

The above becomes this:

9 -18 - 4 = -13

Am I correct in doing the square of the -2 first, so then you have - 4 (that's minus 4, or minus a positive 4, not negative 4)?

The answer is supposedly 5, which would mean the -(-2)^2 would have flipped the sign of -2 to a +2 and then squared that, for a + 4.

What is the correct order to do this in? I thought exponents came before addition/substraction?

Jarod

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Basic algebra...can you help with a simple rule? [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 11:16
jallenmorris wrote:
ok, I have this question that I thought I had the answer to, but the "answer" is something different. Check out the stem:

(3)^2 + 3(3)(-2)-(-2)^2

The above becomes this:

9 -18 - 4 = -13

Am I correct in doing the square of the -2 first, so then you have - 4 (that's minus 4, or minus a positive 4, not negative 4)?

The answer is supposedly 5, which would mean the -(-2)^2 would have flipped the sign of -2 to a +2 and then squared that, for a + 4.

What is the correct order to do this in? I thought exponents came before addition/substraction?

Jarod

You did it correctly. Exponent comes before add/subtract...Do you have the while question? 8-)
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Basic algebra...can you help with a simple rule? [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 11:25
jallenmorris wrote:

(3)^2 + 3(3)(-2)-(-2)^2

The above becomes this:

9 -18 - 4 = -13

Jarod

Ya its -13, ur question is bugged.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Basic algebra...can you help with a simple rule? [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 11:30
Thanks. That question was starting to make me question myself. That was the 2nd bug I'd found in 15 questions. I threw out the entire packet. I'm don't remember where I downloaded the practice test from, but it's obviously not worth much. Thanks.

Jarod

Any of you used an MBA Admissions consultant? If so, are they worth it?

J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Basic algebra...can you help with a simple rule? [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 11:36
Here's a great one from this same practice exam.

#7. Solve: 0.25 x 0.03 =

This one is so freaking simple, it's shocking they got it wrong. 25 x 3 = 75, and there are 4 digits right of the decimal, so the answer is 0.0075. Not according to this exam. It's 0.075. Here is their explanation for the answer:

"The number of decimal places to the right of the decimal poitn in the product will be the combined number of decimal places to the right of the decimal point in the two factors. In this case, the ten-thousandth lace is a zero and can be omitted."

I kid you not, that is the actual explanation for it. If I remember where I downloaded this thing I'll post it.

J Allen Morris

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Basic algebra...can you help with a simple rule? [#permalink] New post 10 May 2008, 00:53
I tried to solve my doubts at ***.com...I think everyone can benefit from that site..as i have benefited from this site im sure you will also...do check it out...

Last edited by chat on 28 May 2008, 07:38, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Basic algebra...can you help with a simple rule? [#permalink] New post 10 May 2008, 01:26
Yeah....*** is a good site...really helps with the videos and all...great work....
Re: Basic algebra...can you help with a simple rule?   [#permalink] 10 May 2008, 01:26