Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Basic arithmetic problem, please help out.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 543

Basic arithmetic problem, please help out. [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 04:28
In some problems we have 2 quantities and we are given one side is greater than the other how do we choose for example one part is 1000-x and the other as X. Please help out thanks.

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: ISB '14 (D)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Basic arithmetic problem, please help out. [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 11:27
fozzzy wrote:
In some problems we have 2 quantities and we are given one side is greater than the other how do we choose for example one part is 1000-x and the other as X. Please help out thanks.

HI,

I did not get your question properly.
Are you asking if you have two quantities x and 1000-x then which one will be greater?
If yes then it will depend on the value of x. But you cna assume that x > 1000-x which means 2x > 1000 and x> 500 and try solving the problem.

If you get x < 500 then x will be < 500 if not then it will be => 500

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 543

Re: Basic arithmetic problem, please help out. [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 18:26
Sorry bad phrasing, suppose there are 2 quantities and we assign variables to them. The total amount of money spent is 1000 and one person spends more than the other. How do we decide if person A is 1000- X or person B is X.

an example would be question 71 from OG 13 - 2 categories.

Yesterday's closing prices of 2,420 different stocks... initial words of that question

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4455 [1] , given: 162

Re: Basic arithmetic problem, please help out. [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 09:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
fozzzy wrote:
Sorry bad phrasing, suppose there are 2 quantities and we assign variables to them. The total amount of money spent is 1000 and one person spends more than the other. How do we decide if person A is 1000- X or person B is X.

an example would be question 71 from OG 13 - 2 categories.

Yesterday's closing prices of 2,420 different stocks... initial words of that question

You assign the variable x to one person, say person A spends x. The other one is fixed then. Then B must spend 1000 - x. When you make your desired equation, you will get the value of x. Now you know that person A spends x and B spends 1000 - x. If A spends more, automatically x will be greater than 1000 - x.
You can also go the other way around - B spends x while A spends 1000 - x. Your equation will change now and values of x will change too. Now x will be less than 1000 - x. B spends x and A spends 1000 - x.
The final answer will be the same in both the cases.

or if you talk about the question in OG, you can assign x to stocks that went down and make the equation as
(120/100)x + x = 2420
x = 1100 = stocks that went down
2420 - x = 1320 = stocks that went up

or
you can assign x to stocks that went up and make the equation as
x + (100/120)x = 2420 (x is 20% more than the stocks that went down so x = (120/100)*stocks that went down )
x = 1320 = stocks that went up
2420 - x = 1100 = stocks that went down

Notice that values of x in the two cases are different (since x stands for different things) but overall the answer is the same.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Basic arithmetic problem, please help out.   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2013, 09:08