Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Basic Inequality Question - Multiplying Inequalities

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

Basic Inequality Question - Multiplying Inequalities [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 07:29
Hi guys, I have a basic question that can probably be answered pretty quickly. I tried google searching but could not find my answer.

My question is, the guide has this rule: "Only multiply inequalities together if both sides of both inequalities are positive."

What if both inequalities were negative?

If m and n are both positive, is mn < 10?
(1) m < 2
(2) n < 5

For instance, in the example above what if both "m" and "n" were negative? Could you solve the problem? Why or Why not?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 614 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Basic Inequality Question - Multiplying Inequalities [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 08:13
This post received
KUDOS
tmipanthers wrote:
Hi guys, I have a basic question that can probably be answered pretty quickly. I tried google searching but could not find my answer.

My question is, the guide has this rule: "Only multiply inequalities together if both sides of both inequalities are positive."

What if both inequalities were negative?

If m and n are both positive, is mn < 10?
(1) m < 2
(2) n < 5

For instance, in the example above what if both "m" and "n" were negative? Could you solve the problem? Why or Why not?

see this rule is because inequality sign changes when a negative thing is multipled...

example:
3 > 2===>now in this case if you multiple both sides with a negative number lets us suppose -2
then LHS=-6
RHS=-4
YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE THAT RHS > LHS ==>Initially LHS>RHS.
So guide is actually asking to keep caustion ...because we people forget to change the inequality some times.

now in your question:
If m and n are both negative, is mn < 10?
(1) m < 2
(2) n < 5

now as you if m and n are negative ..then there product will be postive..
product of two numbers <10
(1) m < 2==>we dont know about n hence ==not sufficient
(2) n < 5==> we dont know about M hence==not sufficient

now combining m is negative and m<2 and n is negative too and n<5
again not sufficient
take n=-10
m=-2===>mn=20==which is greater than 10.NO
Now take m=-1..n=-3
==mn=3===which is <10.YES.
NO DEFINITE ANSWER...HENCE NOT SUFFICIENT
ans E

KUDOS if it helped

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern

Re: Basic Inequality Question - Multiplying Inequalities [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 08:20
Thank you very much Shaileshmishra! That was very helpful. In fact, do you mind if I ask you another question on inequalities.

The guide also says: "Note that you can only take the square root of an inequality for which both sides are definitely not negative, since you cannot take the square root of a negative number."

I am confused about the scope of this rule.
If I am given this
"x^2>9"

Then that means |x| > 3

Can I not say then X > 3 or x <-3?
It seems I am taking the square root anyways but allowing for both a positive and negative possibilities of X. Is this correct? In what situation does the rule I just posted control if not this one?

I hope I made my question clear enough!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 614 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Basic Inequality Question - Multiplying Inequalities [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 08:36
This post received
KUDOS
tmipanthers wrote:
Thank you very much Shaileshmishra! That was very helpful. In fact, do you mind if I ask you another question on inequalities.

The guide also says: "Note that you can only take the square root of an inequality for which both sides are definitely not negative, since you cannot take the square root of a negative number."

If I am given this
"x^2>9"

Then that means |x| > 3

It seems I am taking the square root anyways but allowing for both a positive and negative possibilities of X. Is this correct? In what situation does the rule I just posted control if not this one?

hi,
see the book rule is perfectly fine.
actually the defenition of square root holds only for positive numbers, see the attached graph ==>it is defined only for positive values of X.
Now in your question
"x^2>9"....(1)
Then that means |x| > 3
this is perfectly done....
in equation one x^2==>this thing is greater than 9===>means we can say that it is positive===>x^2 is positive ..now as the rule says you can take the square root of positive number. so you have done perfectly fine.==>we dont have to worry about the value of x ===>we have to think as we are taking square root of x^2 then x^2 must be positive.
just keep always in your mind: sqrt of x^2 = mod of x==>as you have done.

one example :
x^2>-16....==> then in this case dont take sqr root of -16...as it is negative....this example lil weird ,but i think i made my point

kudos appreciated.
Attachments

why.gif
why.gif [ 3 KiB | Viewed 505 times ]

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern

Re: Basic Inequality Question - Multiplying Inequalities [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 09:05
shaileshmishra wrote:
tmipanthers wrote:

If I am given this
"x^2>9"

Then that means |x| > 3

hi,
see the book rule is perfectly fine.
actually the defenition of square root holds only for positive numbers, see the attached graph ==>it is defined only for positive values of X.
Now in your question
"x^2>9"....(1)
Then that means |x| > 3
this is perfectly done....
in equation one x^2==>this thing is greater than 9===>means we can say that it is positive===>x^2 is positive ..now as the rule says you can take the square root of positive number. so you have done perfectly fine.==>we dont have to worry about the value of x ===>we have to think as we are taking square root of x^2 then x^2 must be positive.
just keep always in your mind: sqrt of x^2 = mod of x==>as you have done.

one example :
x^2>-16....==> then in this case dont take sqr root of -16...as it is negative....this example lil weird ,but i think i made my point

kudos appreciated.

Superb explanation! Thank you again.
Re: Basic Inequality Question - Multiplying Inequalities   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2013, 09:05